BajaNomad

Some Thoughts About Food Prices

DavidE - 4-15-2014 at 10:40 AM

durrelllrobert - 4-15-2014 at 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE

I wonder what those increases are projected to look like for Baja?

MitchMan - 4-15-2014 at 01:26 PM

I watch the price of food very closely. The price level has gone up quite dramatically over the past 2 years, particularly in the past 9 months both here in the USA and in Baja (La Paz). It is out of step with earnings by far.

Also, certain restaurant prices for certain types of food are really quite crazy. No way I pay $10 USD for a hamburger on PCH in Laguna Beach, CA.

In the local supermarkets in Orange County, CA this past week, I haven't found any regular (non-sale) beef of any type less than $4/lb, no pork of any kind less than $3/lb. I have seen the prices for rib eye in Baja go from $135 MXN/kilo to $189 MXN/kilo in 2 years. Bacon is $5/lb in USA. I'm not paying that for bacon; cooked down you are probably paying$13/lb for cooked bacon. If I won't pay that for filet mignon, certainly not going to pay that for bacon.

I will wait for Foster farm chickens to go on sale for $1 USD or less per pound and I will pay $32 MXN/kilo for those delicious Mexican chickens; bbq'd on mesquite fired wood, beats the hell out of any $10 USD hamburger.

Also, good thing I have about 40 lbs of yellow tail and Dorado filets in my freezer. Have changed my diet over the last 2 years to counter these crazy food prices. I make all my own bread and pizzas now from scratch, rarely go to restaurants, and eating more healthy stuff that costs less...more rice, beans, potatoes, salads, home made soups, and learned to make good enchiladas, chile rellenos, quesadillas con chile rojo sauce, albondiga soup, fish soup, and plenty of fruit. All this stuff is very cost effective.

[Edited on 4-15-2014 by MitchMan]

DavidE - 4-15-2014 at 01:28 PM

Something tells me the more radically affected items are going to be in shorter supply. Grocers cannot afford to have anything go bad. Empty shelves. It's happened before.

Projection

J.P. - 4-15-2014 at 04:48 PM

I cant say much about projections of food prices. But for today we have begun doing a whole lot more shopping in the U.S.it's cheaper and we can find what we want. :yes:

willardguy - 4-15-2014 at 06:45 PM

well someones full of crap, just now a news story on food prices shows lettuce DOWN 17%:?:

MitchMan - 4-16-2014 at 08:19 AM

In So-Cal there are great ethnic food markets, Mexican (Northgate stores), Korean markets, Persian markets, and Vietnamese markets with absolutely great sea food variety.

All these markets sell produce at 1/3 the price of Ralph's, Vons, Albertsons, and even Stater Bros. Heads of lettuce are often $.33 to $.50 USD per head. Got 10 lbs russet potatoes for $2 USD, onions $.29/lb. The Persian markets sell rotated fresh meats (not pork) of very high quality and Boar's Head deli items at prices about 30% less than the non-ethnic supermarkets.

Vietnamese pho soups and dishes are fantastic and cheap to make at home. Anthony Bourdain's favorite cuisine. There are ways to avoid expensive food and eat like royalty.

[Edited on 4-16-2014 by MitchMan]

wessongroup - 4-16-2014 at 08:47 AM

Dittos .. mitch

but, prices are going up .... read where inflation is "good" for the economy .. :lol::lol:

[Edited on 4-16-2014 by wessongroup]

DavidE - 4-16-2014 at 09:41 AM

I'm thinking of the poor Mexicans.

Back to, beans, tortillas, sal, chile y musica.

Cypress - 4-16-2014 at 10:57 AM

Glad I'm back on the bayou. Can get by pretty well on cornmeal and cooking oil as long as the fish keep biting. Broil some every now and then. Fish tacos. Boil a few shrimp, toss in a potato or two, fry-up some hush puppies. Good to go!;)

MitchMan - 4-16-2014 at 11:06 AM

Get a large thin flour tortilla, warm it up a little and put some refried beans in it, roll it up and pour some guajillo chili sauce on it with grated cheese...dam delicious...burritos are good and cheap.

Cypress - 4-16-2014 at 11:26 AM

MitchMan, We'll get by.:yes: