BajaNomad

Corona now #1 import in USA

Santiago - 4-16-2014 at 02:34 PM

Report on how Corona is now the #1 selling imported beer here.
Unbelievable.

David K - 4-16-2014 at 02:39 PM

Uggg... from the people who make Budweiser the most popular domestic beer I guess?

I am enjoying that Pacifico is available on tap in more and more places around here!

willardguy - 4-16-2014 at 02:40 PM

get ready for a plethora of beer EXPERTS chiming in:(

DENNIS - 4-16-2014 at 02:42 PM

Amazing!!!
Madison Avenue could sell chickenchit to a chicken.

woody with a view - 4-16-2014 at 04:43 PM

it tastes like crap but they do have the best commercials......

DavidE - 4-16-2014 at 04:50 PM

Mexican beer of 30 years ago was BEER. This garbage is syntho-franken-fizz.

Naw, Dennis, they FEED animals their brethren. That's how Mad Moo got started.

Go to a brew pub and have the barkeep yank a lever and get something related to beer.

Pacifico of today would have gotten laughed right off the market in 1970's Mazatlan. It's not even close to being the same beer. Today's fatbody wants to get buzzed on beer flavored Kool Aid.

I'd rather drink water than Dudweiser.

willardguy - 4-16-2014 at 05:25 PM

like we didn't see that coming........again:no:

Bajaboy - 4-16-2014 at 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
get ready for a plethora of beer EXPERTS chiming in:(

willardguy - 4-16-2014 at 05:43 PM

:lol: but you know some arrogant nomad is gonna claim arrogant bastard ale is nowhere close to what it was, you know, back in the day!

Geo_Skip - 4-16-2014 at 06:06 PM

True Santiago.

Any beer that NEEDS a lime slice is just "Mexican Coors".

Negro Modelo is the only mass marketed beer that can pit a few hairs on your chest, but the breweries are slowly catching up and soon you will find a local beer that you must chew before swallowing. (My favorite kind).

Until then cultivate friends in the Left Coast and ask them to bring down a few local stouts and porters!

Just my opinion from 30 years homebrewing/home and brew pub tasting and occasional (too few) trips to Baja... Life is good, but not yet perfect.

Enjoy the journey!

DENNIS - 4-16-2014 at 06:46 PM

Quote:

back in the day!

Isn't there a fine or something like that for using this term? :lol:

willardguy - 4-16-2014 at 06:54 PM

you kidding? nomads wear it like a badge of honor!

DENNIS - 4-16-2014 at 07:33 PM

Quote:
you kidding? nomads wear it like a badge of honor!

I guess it's cuz they be olde in the frozen calendar phase of life. :biggrin:

a!l is not lost

captkw - 4-16-2014 at 07:58 PM

You have "Indio" Bohemein dark" " Noche Bueno" and a very small bit of new micro brewers in S.J.D. which I found rather good...but,,for me corona is on the field as coors or bud "burro pee" But ,,That said....I have chugged a iced down corona after a long hot day and was glad to have a cold,,wet drink....But not a BEER !!! K&T:cool:

Ateo - 4-16-2014 at 08:16 PM

All my relatives in Guadalajara drink Corona. I couldn't believe it.

elgatoloco - 4-16-2014 at 08:18 PM

I will stand up in public and admit that I used to enjoy Corona. Ice Cold. And Coors.

Then I turned 16. :P

When I am in Baja and I run out of IPA I drink nothing but micheladas. You can never go wrong and its good for your health.

:saint:

Bajaboy - 4-16-2014 at 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
I will stand up in public and admit that I used to enjoy Corona. Ice Cold. And Coors.

Then I turned 16. :P

When I am in Baja and I run out of IPA I drink nothing but micheladas. You can never go wrong and its good for your health.

But when was the last time your ran out of IPAs?

elgatoloco - 4-16-2014 at 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco

It could happen! :lol:

DENNIS - 4-16-2014 at 08:27 PM

Quote:

Being the well organized individual which I'm sure he is....probably never. :light:

oops !! forgot one

captkw - 4-16-2014 at 08:27 PM

DosXX amber !! don't think that they sell ITl in mex ????Iif the beer in mexico had much al-key in it ....The country would stop:lol:

willardguy - 4-16-2014 at 08:29 PM

last year while drinking at Vic's in loreto I met a guy, highly successful player in baja, drinking shots of jose. I remember him saying hey, I could drink julio gomez, or whatevers hip these days, this is what I like! simple as that. :yes:

Bajaboy - 4-16-2014 at 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Being the well organized individual which I'm sure he is....probably never. :light:

The most valuable thing in our casita is our beer cellar:light:

DENNIS - 4-16-2014 at 08:38 PM

Quote:
last year while drinking at Vic's in loreto I met a guy, highly successful player in baja, drinking shots of jose. I remember him saying hey, I could drink julio gomez, or whatevers hip these days, this is what I like! simple as that. :yes:

Yeah...I know a guy just like that around here. He has more money than he can count and insists on Viva Villa, that cane alcohol poison. :?:

willardguy - 4-16-2014 at 08:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah...I know a guy just like that around here. He has more money than he can count and insists on Viva Villa, that cane alcohol poison. :?:
there ya go, saving money and drinking what he likes! ( bet he don't dig the cane alcohol hangovers though!):no:

Viva villa

captkw - 4-16-2014 at 08:52 PM

Damn,,I had a NDE on that stuff....good octane booster

Santiago - 4-17-2014 at 06:33 AM

I would be very interested in how a blind tasting of Mexican beers (I mean the tasters are blind) would turn out if held about 2:00 in the afternoon in August in the mid-rift area after returning from fishing and only water was on the boat. Corona would do just fine, heck, it might win.
I truly don't know what to do with the lime; just push it into the bottle, squeeze it into the bottle, rub it around the rim, see how many you can put in the bar maids cleavage? The possibilities are endless but unknowable.
Although, I've been known to drink Shock Top - I think that has orange juice in it.

DENNIS - 4-17-2014 at 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
I truly don't know what to do with the lime; just push it into the bottle, squeeze it into the bottle,

Years back, when bottling methods were less sophisticated, you could find the occasional lime still in the refilled bottle and if that didn't turn you off, nothing would....except maybe a mouse or a boogger...something like that. :barf:

bajalearner - 4-17-2014 at 06:56 AM

Quote:

He sounds like the most interesting man in the world. No wait, that guy drinks DOS EQUIS.
Member, you member, the guy who listed his beard on his donor’s card, the guy who police question just because they find him interesting, the guy who can cure narcolepsy just by walking into a room.
And my favorite quote of his is “find out what it is in life you don’t do so well, and then, don’t do that thing”. Yeah that guy. You member.

bajalearner - 4-17-2014 at 07:05 AM

I thought Honda Civic was the more popular import over Toyota Corona.

But I notice since I returned to drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon beer, my mind isn't working so well.

Marc - 4-17-2014 at 07:28 AM

PP

David K - 4-17-2014 at 08:30 AM

One trip we switched to Victoria beer... bought them in El Rosario then explored Las Pintas...

Interesting street lamps in that part of Baja!

Ateo - 4-17-2014 at 08:43 AM

Best beer

bajaguy - 4-17-2014 at 09:22 AM

There is a simple and relatively inexpensive solution to the beer issue...........brew you own.

You can buy the Mr Beer kits and customize or collect your own small batch brewing equipment/supplies.

Recipes are available on line for original and clone brews.

A 5 gallon batch will produce 50+/- 12oz bottles

http://www.homebrewing.org/Pacifico-Clone-Recipe-Kit_p_1525....

http://store.homebrewheaven.com/articles/DosEquisCloneRecipe...

[Edited on 4-17-2014 by bajaguy]

JZ - 4-17-2014 at 09:22 AM

My girl drinks Pacifico.

sancho - 4-17-2014 at 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
I truly don't know what to do with the lime; just push it into the bottle, squeeze it into the bottle

Back in the day, there were bottles refilled, that must
have been refilled 100 times, sitting around in dirt lots,
etc., always wondered what kind of
washing system would get out limes. Wasn't that long
ago, well maybe it was, late '80's, Corona was the accepted
case beer, Pacifico , I believe, didn't expand their territory
outside of Mazatlan until then

JZ - 4-17-2014 at 02:13 PM

You squeeze the juice in. You DO NOT put the lime in the bottle. That's a rookie mistake for sure.

DJL - 4-17-2014 at 02:16 PM

Taste is subjective , isn't it ?

Last Winter , I brought along a 6'er of Guinness (not the stout , but the 'diet' draught) for my Mexican Friends to try . Passed out 3 to 3 , everyone took a pull , then gagged . Only 1 Friend tried a second sip . Their Beer of choice is Pacifico Latas , which I don't much care for (tastes bland , less alcohol ) . Corona is considered by them , and myself .... as ignorant tourist Beer . Kind of amusing to smile at the clerk from behind the newly-arrived folks in line at El Rey in La Ribera that are buying it ..... meeting of the Eye-rolls .:rolleyes:

My list is Pacifico , Noche Buena , Negro Modelo , in that order .

D.~

DENNIS - 4-17-2014 at 02:21 PM

Indio is good.

Superior, which has been around forever, now has a "Rubio" on the market,

DavidE - 4-17-2014 at 02:32 PM

Montejo Al Tiempo

DawnPatrol - 4-18-2014 at 08:49 AM

I like Modelo dark... but I've never seen it actually in Mexico...
anyone seen it down there?

willardguy - 4-18-2014 at 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DawnPatrol
I like Modelo dark... but I've never seen it actually in Mexico...
anyone seen it down there?
well yeah, that would be negra modelo, first brewed by Austrian immigrants to mexico :yes:

Mexitron - 4-18-2014 at 10:32 AM

Corona has done a great job of mass marketing---people are drinking an image (re the nice commercials), not tasting the beer....amazing how we can get duped. Though I will say I enjoy the Mexican version of Corona (not the U.S. imported swill) on a hot dry day in the desert.

willardguy - 4-18-2014 at 10:49 AM

you know we never did get to the bottom of corona extra vs corona familiar. here's one opinion, anyone else think they're different? gotta love the old school familiar bottle.

http://tabletograve.com/taste-test-corona-extra-vs-corona-fa...

DENNIS - 4-18-2014 at 12:55 PM

Quote:
you know we never did get to the bottom of corona extra vs corona familiar. here's one opinion, anyone else think they're different? gotta love the old school familiar bottle.

I didn't open the link [just lazy...not cautious] but whenever I see the term, "Familiar," it's a reference to size..."Family Size."

Hook - 4-18-2014 at 02:53 PM

No fans of Bohemia around here? For shame. They are the commercial brewery in Mexico with the willingness to experiment with a few styles of beer.

Like their Chocolate Stout.........

their Weizen

or their Vienna style lager Obscura

As well as the original, of course.

Bohemia and the Chope twins, Obscura and Clara are my favorite Mexican beers............right now!

But comparing these commercially produced beers to small batch, craft beers is unfair.

DENNIS - 4-18-2014 at 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

Really??? Doesn't Guiness have a chocolate flavor to it? I've got to find this Bohemia version.

Hook - 4-18-2014 at 03:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Really??? Doesn't Guiness have a chocolate flavor to it? I've got to find this Bohemia version.

It MAY be seasonal and not be in your 'hood right now, Dennis. But I occasionally find some at the OXXOs. Or at Ley's.

Again, dont compare it to a micro-brew Chocolate Stout. The flavor is not THAT concentrated, nor is the ABV as high as micros often are.

Outside of the original Bohemia, these are not every-day, all-day drinking beers.

I still drink light beers on hot days when I'm out in the sun or active. I switch between TKT light and Coors light (readily available EVERYWHERE down here). One of them is always on sale for 95 pesos for a 12er of cans. Then, I switch to the other brews in the evening.

I used to like Pacifico light but I find I dont like it in cans. That's the case with all Modelo beers, IMO; I like em in bottles but they $uck in cans.

[Edited on 4-18-2014 by Hook]

DENNIS - 4-18-2014 at 04:15 PM

Quote:

Again, dont compare it to a micro-brew Chocolate Stout. The flavor is not THAT concentrated,

I can add some chocolate syrup, just to give it some character. :yes:

Cancamo - 4-18-2014 at 07:45 PM

Indio and Victoria are made with a darker, toasted malt and have a rich flavor. Muy Rico!Common and inexpensive in interior Mexico.
Corona Familiar, (found mostly in larger depositos and in ballena size bottles only), is OK for a change now and then. Tastes nothing like the stuff in the clear bottles.

capt. mike - 4-19-2014 at 12:29 PM

with so many other beer choices in Mexico and imports here I can't for the life of me see how anyone can stand Corona??:barf:

DENNIS - 4-19-2014 at 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cancamo
Corona Familiar, (found mostly in larger depositos and in ballena size bottles only),

As mentioned above, "Familiar" refers to size [Family size], not style of product..

Cancamo - 4-25-2014 at 07:02 AM

"Familiar" yes refers to family size, (put a nipple on it for the baby), but the beer is darker, tastes different. Poor it in a glass, clearly a darker richer product.

durrelllrobert - 4-25-2014 at 09:06 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I bought the Guiness at Smart and Final in Ensenada for St. Patrick's day. $3.00 per can! Shoulda bought the Bohemia.