BajaNomad

produce prices US & baja

blackwolfmt - 4-24-2014 at 05:55 PM

Hey nomads, Well produce prices in the northern rockies are the highest I have seen this time of year in 10yrs, there is No selection or shelf life in produce up here, I am sure we get the last of the pickens, compared to down south, just interested what you guys in the Baja markets are paying.

[Edited on 4-25-2014 by blackwolfmt]

159642_636 (Small).jpg - 38kB

danaeb - 4-24-2014 at 06:22 PM

All of the western agricultural areas are into the third year of drought, including Baja. Fasten your seat belts. There's no more measurable rain for the rest of the season.

blackwolfmt - 4-24-2014 at 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by danaeb
All of the western agricultural areas are into the third year of drought, including Baja. Fasten your seat belts. There's no more measurable rain for the rest of the season.

Damn sad news!! just saw the current kali drought update, doesn't look like it could get ant worse lookin than that ugly :(

paranewbi - 4-25-2014 at 10:01 AM

those prices aren't far from Calif. major grocery stores although the local mex stores (Imperial Beach) are a much better deal...
Drought around here is a bummer but then the sun helps our veggie garden come in real big!

Propduce

J.P. - 4-25-2014 at 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by blackwolfmt
Hey nomads, Well produce prices in the northern rockies are the highest I have seen this time of year in 10yrs, there is No selection or shelf life in produce up here, I am sure we get the last of the pickens, compared to down south, just interested what you guys in the Baja markets are paying.

Its my opinion you guys up north get better quality produce up there than we get down here . The buyers that buy in volume get first pick and what's left the markets here where they grow it get the culls.
:no::no::no::no:

blackwolfmt - 4-25-2014 at 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
Quote:
Originally posted by blackwolfmt

Its my opinion you guys up north get better quality produce up there than we get down here . The buyers that buy in volume get first pick and what's left the markets here where they grow it get the culls.
:no::no::no::no:

Hey JP they might get better quality on the coast but not over here you have too store your fruit in the fridge just to make it last a week at the most, Maybe the Big azz oranges they had there today RARE were top quality they looked real nice and were heavy but each one was at least 14, 15 oz's the price was
$1.79 a a pound that don't add up, :(

Bajahowodd - 4-25-2014 at 05:01 PM

The weird thing about the climate change thingy is that Seattle just got record rain for the past three months. Go figure.

That and the reports that the Colorado basin gotten above normal precipitation this year may well allow those who are using that water, like the Imperial Valley to foster bumper crops.

DavidE - 4-26-2014 at 12:28 PM

Someone will figure out a way to make it worth a dollar a gallon on the commodities market.

Whale-ista - 4-26-2014 at 01:28 PM

It rained last night in San Diego, also very windy. Not sure how much water was delivered else where by this storm, and if it was enough to help large scale agriculture.

Locally: topped off 1 of my 2-200 gallon rain barrels. Lots of friends here who are gardeners are installing rainwater catchment for plants, and/or gray water systems for trees. The city permitting process is being streamlined, but some of us aren't waiting for them to catch up with the reality of drought.

As I'm considering what to build in San Miguel, pondering rainwater/graywater systems. I'm assuming water will get more scarce, and more expensive, in coming years, so will be planning accordingly.

BajaBlanca - 4-26-2014 at 02:17 PM

Where is San Miguel?

Whale-ista - 4-26-2014 at 04:08 PM

San Miguel is the neighborhood at the toll both north of Ensenada:

SlyOnce - 4-28-2014 at 02:31 PM

We buy gringo food in San Diego (for example frozen waffles).

We buy chicken, ground beef, and some fish in Baja. Much cheaper, especially chicken.

Rice, beans, tortillas, sugar, etc. in Baja.

We buy cheese in Baja, I like the MX cheeses.

My novia stops most days in the street markets in Centro TJ to buy fruits and vegetables. At these markets you can fill a bag about the size of an old fashioned lunch bag of tomatoes, onions, avocados, lettuce, cabbage, potatoes, ... things like that for $MX 10 pesos per bag. Fruits like lemons, limes, and mangos too.

Apples, strawberries, blueberries, and so on in the US.

Also I love JUMEX juices, we buy all that in Baja.

We buy all that kind of stuff in the street markets. Much cheaper, very fresh.

[Edited on 4-28-2014 by SlyOnce]

baconjr - 4-29-2014 at 06:59 PM

I work as an agriculture inspector inspecting loads of produce heading south. The Los Angeles markets provide much of the produce eaten in Baja. We have inspected up to 45 semis of produce a day( San Diego port of entry) going into Mexico. That doesn't include potatoes and strawberries or other border stations.