BajaNomad

40 minutes in SY SENTRI on Sunday...

dasubergeek - 4-29-2014 at 11:32 AM

5 lanes open, traffic was backed up about halfway from the stop to the statue of Padre Kino... are they being slower, or has the new configuration made it easier for people to find the P-nche SENTRI lanes?!

I was coming from Ensenada... I knew I should've used Otay!

SlyOnce - 4-29-2014 at 11:45 AM

The border agents told me that they are issuing more SENTRI passes, making more cars in line, plus more people are attempting to smuggle through SENTRI these days.

40 minute wait on a Sunday is normal. Especially on a holiday weekend as this past Sunday was the end of Semana Pascua the end of Spring Break for Mexicans. (The week before easter is Semana Santa).

At 6 AM weekdays coming to work I average 10 to 20 minutes.

I recently had a 30 minute wait on a Friday night at 8 PM.

willardguy - 4-29-2014 at 11:56 AM

SY readylanes have been 20-30 minutes mid morning weekdays. makes ya wonder what we will see when construction is complete and its all sorted out?

bajalearner - 4-29-2014 at 11:59 AM

I came through SENTRI Sunday evening about 7 and got to the booth in 20 minutes. I was in the far left SENTRI lane and next to the REDI lane. I asked the guy to my left how long in REDI. He said 3 hours. I felt happy until the booth officer told me I was a ramdom for secondary and it's an hour wait. Why the wait? He said many people are coming thru SENTRI by mistake because the MX PD is not manning the approach (not there when I passed) and people think it's a normal lane. So those people are sent to secondary.

I got in the longest line to secondary that I had ever seen. But I was done and on my way in 45 mins which was not bad. The officers' seemed grumpy but not at us, more at their employer. 3 officers commented about the system being bad. One officer said they used to have a congressman scrutinizing them and things were better but the congressman is not doing that anymore.

I cross several times per week and I had not been to secondary in a year. So not too bad.

DENNIS - 4-29-2014 at 12:45 PM

This coming Sunday should be interesting at SY. Thursday, May First, is a National Holiday and it will kick off a long weekend. It could get a little crowded down here. :?:

dasubergeek - 4-29-2014 at 02:10 PM

You're right, bajalearner—they are making sure that last intersection (where you can split off for the bus lane, Col. Federal, and Col. Libertad) is kept free but they are NOT checking whether people heading into the SENTRI lane actually have passes.

I've crossed countless times on Sunday afternoon and never waited more than 15 minutes.

durrelllrobert - 4-29-2014 at 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
This coming Sunday should be interesting at SY. Thursday, May First, is a National Holiday and it will kick off a long weekend. It could get a little crowded down here. :?:

Shouldn't be a lot of visitors left over for Monday, Cinco de Mayo though and a lot of the gringos (including me) will be up north celebrating.

gallesram - 4-29-2014 at 03:00 PM

Crossed at Otay Mesa on Sunday at 2:30 pm; 5 minute wait max in the SENTRI lane.

Bajahowodd - 4-29-2014 at 03:58 PM

Blame Bush and Cheney for this mess. This so-called vigilance at the border has seemingly not had any major results, with the exception of huge wait times for anyone heading North.

sancho - 4-29-2014 at 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalearner
He said many people are coming thru SENTRI by mistake because the MX PD is not manning the approach (not there when I passed) and people think it's a normal lane. So those people are sent to secondary.

Recently came thru Otay on a Sun., non sentri in anothers vehicle,
the line was so far back there was no lane indicator signs,
ended in the sentri lane, needless to say no changing
lanes, nothing said by US Customs guard, except go to
secondary, so that explains it