BajaNomad

Ensenada Winds

lizard lips - 4-29-2014 at 11:39 AM

I have to drive up to San Diego this afternoon and the winds here in Ensenada are the worst I have ever seen.

Does anyone know if the free road and toll road is good to go north?

Thanks

lizard lips - 4-29-2014 at 11:57 AM

Just called the bus station and they said everything is good!-so far

elgatoloco - 4-29-2014 at 12:03 PM

Drive safe. We are headed down from San Diego this afternoon. Winds here started slowly and now freshening rapidly.

willardguy - 4-29-2014 at 12:10 PM

howlin in the puerto nuevo area

chuckie - 4-29-2014 at 12:12 PM

70-80 MPH on I 70 here in Colorado...reports of semis being blown over...

DENNIS - 4-29-2014 at 12:25 PM

Not too bad out here:

Wind......10 - 20 mph range. Lots of dust in the air from the Santa Anas blowing across Ensenada.

87°

Humidity 14%

Mulegena - 4-29-2014 at 12:25 PM

Intense warm gusty winds from the northland here in Mulege today, too.

Wow! Take care out there, everyone.

StuckSucks - 4-29-2014 at 12:27 PM

Have you seen this wind map?

DENNIS - 4-29-2014 at 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by StuckSucks
Have you seen this wind map?

Nifty........thanks.

CrisJk12 - 4-29-2014 at 12:54 PM

I'm in san Felipe right now and the wind is pretty crazy.

bajadock - 4-29-2014 at 01:40 PM

35-40MPH gusts up here on Puerto Snow Cone Frio, Punta Banda. Patio furniture has been taking mini-flights.

Puerto Escondido Weather Station Wind

BajaBlanca - 4-29-2014 at 01:46 PM

Glad to report there in no wind in La Paz. Barely a breeze out there!

Wildland Fire

bajaguy - 4-29-2014 at 01:47 PM

An unconfirmed report indicates a wildland fire burning north of LaMision

DENNIS - 4-29-2014 at 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadock
35-40MPH gusts up here on Puerto Snow Cone Frio, Punta Banda. Patio furniture has been taking mini-flights.

Big difference down here, Doc. Still in the 10 - 15 MPH [max] range.
And, you folks up there are so much closer to God than we are. It just makes no sense. :lol:

[Edited on 4-29-2014 by DENNIS]

shari - 4-29-2014 at 03:08 PM

Oh now I know why there isnt any wind here in Asuncion today...its all getting sucked out over on the other side....beautiful day here today.

bajadock - 4-29-2014 at 03:33 PM

http://eoimages.gsfc.nasa.gov/images/imagerecords/72000/7273...

2014 Baja Fire season begins and it's not yet May. Hang to your hoses. More photos HERE from the owner of La Mision's "The Lighthouse" restaurant.

[Edited on 4-29-2014 by bajadock]

DENNIS - 4-29-2014 at 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Oh now I know why there isnt any wind here in Asuncion today...its all getting sucked out over on the other side....beautiful day here today.

Just wait til tomorrow. :light:

windgrrl - 4-29-2014 at 03:49 PM

Did someone say wind?
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Bajahowodd - 4-29-2014 at 03:55 PM

There are two high pressure systems. One over the East Pacific and one that just moved over to the great basin. They are expecting temps as high as 100 in the LA area tomorrow.

bajagrouper - 4-29-2014 at 05:35 PM

I believe they are called Santa Ana's........

another wind map

Whale-ista - 4-29-2014 at 05:47 PM

Try this: http://earth.nullschool.net

[Edited on 4-30-2014 by Whale-ista]

bajaguy - 4-29-2014 at 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajagrouper

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Ana_winds

DENNIS - 4-29-2014 at 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajagrouper

Yes in deed...............having grown up in Newport Beach, we would get them regularly. The occurrence of these winds lessened over the years with increased development inland which would effectively block some of it.
I recall during and after these blows, I could walk the beach that was busy in summer months, and pick up change right and left that was exposed by the wind removing the top layer of sand which would pile up three feet thick in the streets.
The beach cities would have crews at the ready to remove the sand much like snow removal crews in the east.

Siroccos

Whale-ista - 4-29-2014 at 06:41 PM

Growing up in San Diego these hot, dry winds Santa Ana would hit in the fall, about the time we were back in school. This early in the year is unusual to say the least.

We had no AC back then- so it was hot, hard to sleep at home at night, and hard to stay awake in the hot classrooms during the day. Our classes were in "temporary" bungalows (some are still there!)- lousy insulation and ventilation... if it got too hot they called it a "heat day" (vs. "snow days" back east) and sent us home.

Other places in the world call these "siroccos" (Northern Africa), and attribute people's bad moods/illness to them. I think VW had a "sirocco" model at one point. And I once heard in Italy, in days gone by, if you murdered someone during a sirocco you were given a pass...

See: Sirocco

"The Sirocco causes dusty dry conditions along the northern coast of Africa, storms in the Mediterranean Sea, and cool wet weather in Europe. The Sirocco's duration may be as short as half a day or may last several days. Many people attribute health problems to the Sirocco either because of the heat and dust along the African coastal regions or because of the cool dampness in Europe. The dust within the Sirocco winds can cause abrasion in mechanical devices and penetrate buildings.

"Sirocco winds with speeds of up to 100 kilometres per hour are most common during the autumn and the spring. They reach a peak in March and in November when it is very hot, with a maximum speed of about 100 km/h (55 knots).

Combined with a rising tide, Sirocco is a factor responsible for the Acqua Alta phenomenon in the Venetian Lagoon."

willardguy - 4-29-2014 at 06:47 PM

well I had a haboob blow thru my house today, theres a thick layer of sand on everything I own, what a mess!:no:

J.P. - 4-29-2014 at 07:07 PM

WE made a round trip to El Cajon today went through Tecate going both ways the wind was blowing like crazy and it was 96 degreeg up there: yes:

[Edited on 4-30-2014 by J.P.]

you say haboob, they say sirocco...

Whale-ista - 4-29-2014 at 07:17 PM

let's blow the whole thing off...

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
well I had a haboob blow thru my house today, theres a thick layer of sand on everything I own, what a mess!:no:

Well What Did You Expect?

DavidE - 4-30-2014 at 10:34 AM

¡ SUMMER'S HERE !

Got gnus for you.....

Wind blew like hell way down here. Must have been tired having blowed all the way from Sta Ana...

willardguy - 4-30-2014 at 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
¡ SUMMER'S HERE !

Got gnus for you.....

Wind blew like hell way down here. Must have been tired having blowed all the way from Sta Ana...
you folks down there always start summer so early?:?: