BajaNomad

side trip to Bahia de los Angeles

tripledigitken - 4-30-2014 at 04:04 PM

Coming back from a quick trip to BCS, we decided to overnight in BOLA. We haven't visited there in about 6 years. Not much different, a new motel or two, maybe the second Pemex though I'm not sure on that. It was very quiet as most visitors and seasonal residents have headed back north.

This cloud of dust over the dry lake bed was a precursor of things to come.

We were surprised to see wildflowers. The Palo Verde from here to Mulege were going off.

Some road improvements since our last visit and some new walls and walkways.

Guillermo's restaurant was closed.

Seems I always pull over for this vista..............

Pretty much had the place to ourselves, saw a couple of truck and boat trailers parked at Guillermo's ramp Sunday morning.

In this photo we were getting hammered by the wind (late Saturday afternoon).

a fitting place for me to sit after dinner at Las Hamachas

[Edited on 5-3-2014 by tripledigitken]

woody with a view - 4-30-2014 at 04:11 PM

very nice!

T minus 37 days.....

Feathers - 4-30-2014 at 04:15 PM

Excellent photos!

DianaT - 4-30-2014 at 04:18 PM

As usual, an excellent group of photos. Really enjoyed seeing them! Thanks

MMc - 4-30-2014 at 04:37 PM

Nice photos, looks like a nice stop over. When its windy there drop over to the other side.

Cliffy - 4-30-2014 at 06:37 PM

Just in BOLA 2 days ago Ate at Guierrmillos (sp) and Villa Vita. Only ones at Daggets Town dead as a a door nail. Not 10 guests in town. Left as wind started again.

Paulina - 4-30-2014 at 07:02 PM

Dern is down there right now. He sent this photo a couple of days ago. When the Santa Ana's blow up here, Bahia gets a north wind. He said other than that, the weather is there, wished I were beautiful.

P>*)))>{

I wish I were there too.

elgatoloco - 4-30-2014 at 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina

Dern is down there right now. He sent this photo a couple of days ago. When the Santa Ana's blow up here, Bahia gets a north wind. He said other than that, the weather is there, wished I were beautiful.

P>*)))>{

I wish I were there too.

Surfs' SUP! :dudette:

David K - 4-30-2014 at 11:31 PM

Beautiful photos as always Ken!

Others have written how the place is a like a ghost town.

I hope for the businesses in Bahia de L.A. that they can do something to revive their economy. Outside of off road racing a couple times a year at most, they need to upgrade lodging and lower prices to attract travelers to stay there. It used to be about the fishing or Cruz Diaz's turtle steak dinners. Times have changed, and what few American that aren't afraid to go to Mexico need a better value experience that used to be an attraction. Sub par rooms at $50-$85 a night aren't going to bring back vacationers.

Oh how I miss Camp Gecko and the cabins that Doc had... Good memories with good amigos.

Mark_BC - 5-1-2014 at 09:17 AM

Nice shots with good dynamic range. What setup?

We were there last week, yeah the place is pretty quiet. We went spearfishing out at the far islands and on the way back a floating snoozing sperm whale was right in our path. Pretty cool.

I just got back to Canada and it seems so cold here even though it's 20 degrees. I looked through the weather records for BOLA and it was 35-40 the last few weeks! Guess I got used to the heat.

Just sorting through my photos now, should have some up in a few days.

Skipjack Joe - 5-1-2014 at 09:49 AM

Quote:

He said other than that, the weather is there, wished I were beautiful.

P>*)))>{

??

TMW - 5-1-2014 at 09:54 AM

Beautiful pictures, thanks

tripledigitken - 5-1-2014 at 10:26 AM

Thanks Mark. These were shot with a Sony NEX-7 and a 16-70mm F4 lens.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark_BC
Nice shots with good dynamic range. What setup?

24baja - 5-1-2014 at 10:36 AM

Ken thanks for the pics. Its t-22 for us and we are so looking forward to the experience we miss it so much when we are stuck workig up north. Its about 699 days to retirement and spending alot more time in bola!

tripledigitken - 5-1-2014 at 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 24baja
Ken thanks for the pics. Its t-22 for us and we are so looking forward to the experience we miss it so much when we are stuck workig up north. Its about 699 days to retirement and spending alot more time in bola!

Congrats on your upcoming retirement!!! I've never looked back since pulling the plug four years ago this month.

Ken

Mexitron - 5-1-2014 at 05:17 PM

Nice pics!

Paulina - 5-1-2014 at 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:

He said other than that, the weather is there, wished I were beautiful.

P>*)))>{

??

Igor,
You picked up on that! It's a quote from Jimmy Buffett song, "The Weather Is Here, Wish You Were Beautiful", a play on words. It's a fun song, and a quote we use when one of us is stuck back home.

P>*)))>{

[Edited on 2-5-2014 by Paulina]

Bob53 - 5-2-2014 at 10:38 AM

I'll be heading down there in 27 days.

Martyman - 5-2-2014 at 10:55 AM

Any fishing reports? I'll be there next week.

woody with a view - 5-2-2014 at 11:04 AM

we'll be waiting for your report Marty!

24baja - 5-3-2014 at 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman
Any fishing reports? I'll be there next week.

Friends north of town advises the squiding is good from the beach. Not sure about fish.