BajaNomad

Help Vicent & the Dottie BII

MexicoTed - 4-30-2014 at 11:07 PM

I just saw this online. Anyone on the board know him?

Here's what it says;

On the night of April 29th, the Dottie B II (Vicente's boat) was broken into while anchored offshore in front of the Hotel BuenaVista in Los Cabos, Baja, Mexico. Everything was stolen--rods, reels, lures, tackle, tools, etc. This is Vicente's livelihood & while we are extremely upset that he was robbed, we can make this right by helping raise funds to replace his gear. Please pass on this link & help in any way you can. Thank you!!!!

[url= http://www.gofundme.com/8rwq5g] http://www.gofundme.com/8rwq5g[/url]

DENNIS - 5-1-2014 at 07:23 AM

Would anyone own a boat of that caliber without insurance?

bajalorena - 5-1-2014 at 08:27 AM

Vincente is a boat captain. He worked for "Togo" Hazard for many years, and when Togo passed away, he left one of his boats to Vincente. Vincente is highly regarded in the community.

willardguy - 5-1-2014 at 08:33 AM

the goal is $20,000.00? come on..........

55steve - 5-1-2014 at 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy

Have you ever outfitted a boat of this size? $20K is average.

BajaBlanca - 5-1-2014 at 09:11 AM

What a wonderful thing to do, leave your boat to someone when you pass. Sure wish Vicente had insurance but mostly I wish that people did not steal. Keep your eyes out, usually the perpetrators soon begin selling off the "loot". They are not the brightest.

willardguy - 5-1-2014 at 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 55steve
Quote:

I don't doubt it, how many do it through donations?

55steve - 5-1-2014 at 10:31 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by 55steve
Quote:

I don't doubt it, how many do it through donations?

I wasn't fortunate enough to receive donations when I spent $15K outfitting my 23' center console.

willardguy - 5-1-2014 at 11:10 AM

looking at the website there's plenty of folks in that neck of the woods that are equipped to help vincente out restocking his internationals! damn, im back to rockin the old jigmaster!:lol: btw, here's the boat he inherited!

vgabndo - 5-1-2014 at 12:52 PM

So a guy inherits a complete livelihood, doesn't insure it. Parks it where it can be ripped-off without removing the portable valuables, and now the public is supposed to take care of him? I'm sorry. His customers have more money than the gods, if he was to beg money from anyone, shouldn't it be from his client base, not the 99%? And seriously, who NEEDS $20,000 worth of fishing equipment to catch fish no one intends to eat? This is the 21st. century and at least one child under the age of 5 will starve to death while some of you are thinking I'm a turd for posting this!

Priorities? Personal responsibility? Can someone suggest how many client days it would take to cover the annual cost of the insurance premium? One? Two? People have already donated enough money for a couple years insurance. Why didn't he proactively beg for the insurance money, rather than retroactively asking to have all his equipment replaced? Or, just buy insurance as a normal rational business expense? Providing safe tool storage on remote job sites has always been a high priority in my experience. May the thieves have plenty of time to question their life choices as their protracted accidental deaths take their tragically short lives!
Time to go rake my Zen garden! :coolup:

rts551 - 5-1-2014 at 01:06 PM

Who said it was not insured? In today's world anyone can beg on the internet and do it without shame since your not face to face. In fact, you can do it by taking advantage of a web site that charges for the privilege of asking for free money. What a world! I can see it now. The unemployed: "please donate for my next trip to Baja"

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
So a guy inherits a complete livelihood, doesn't insure it. Parks it where it can be ripped-off without removing the portable valuables, and now the public is supposed to take care of him? I'm sorry. His customers have more money than the gods, if he was to beg money from anyone, shouldn't it be from his client base, not the 99%? And seriously, who NEEDS $20,000 worth of fishing equipment to catch fish no one intends to eat? This is the 21st. century and at least one child under the age of 5 will starve to death while some of you are thinking I'm a turd for posting this!

Priorities? Personal responsibility? Can someone suggest how many client days it would take to cover the annual cost of the insurance premium? One? Two? People have already donated enough money for a couple years insurance. Why didn't he proactively beg for the insurance money, rather than retroactively asking to have all his equipment replaced? Or, just buy insurance as a normal rational business expense? Providing safe tool storage on remote job sites has always been a high priority in my experience. May the thieves have plenty of time to question their life choices as their protracted accidental deaths take their tragically short lives!
Time to go rake my Zen garden! :coolup:

CaboMagic - 5-2-2014 at 10:50 AM

From the FWIW pipsqueak:

When thieves in 'our' area take tackle/gear/equipment, they will be using them, themselves, or selling to 'friends' who will never disclose from whom they bought.

Multiple times our boats have been broken into, in the slip at the marina in CSL, and we lost Tuna Tubes, Rods, Reels, GPS units misc tackle .. Even tho our slip payments supposedly 'covered' 24hr security, and video .. nonsense .. sure, there are 'men' in 'uniform' walking the docks, whose presence is 'supposed' to deter break-ins but each and every time, asking the marina office to look into this resulted in the response "Voy a checar" .. which is much like "Manana" ..

And charter boat insurance for Cabo region is not the same as US .. you could hatch a dinosaur egg faster than a claim for damages gets paid -- .. except for the instances where an owner was paid when a ship sunk, or ran aground - owner claimed the captain fell asleep .. yeah right. but for all the times we were victims we never received a dime or peso for the items stolen.

It is unfortunate this happened in East Cape, and Vicente will have many 'friends' who will make their donations to assist.

mtgoat666 - 5-2-2014 at 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboMagic
Even tho our slip payments supposedly 'covered' 24hr security, and video .. nonsense .. sure, there are 'men' in 'uniform' walking the docks, whose presence is 'supposed' to deter break-ins but each and every time, asking the marina office to look into this resulted in the response "Voy a checar" .. which is much like "Manana" ..

sounds like theft is frequent,...

security cameras are so cheap and small and easy now,... put a camera on board, put recorder in hidden place, you will at least know who stole your stuff, and then be able to send over some goons to pick up the "borrowed" items