BajaNomad

Looking for dirt bike riding areas near Tijuana

bajalearner - 5-1-2014 at 03:59 PM

My home base is Tijuana and I am looking for places to ride dirt bikes on day trips.

I have 2 sons and just acquired a bike for my youngest to learn on so the three of us have bikes. I have an enclosed trailer for all the comforts of roughing it. 4wd SUV.

Do you know of any day trip possibilities? I will file places for other trips involving more days too. I have been to the sand dunes south of Puerta Nuevo. Great spot with a sea breeze. Thx.

willardguy - 5-1-2014 at 04:08 PM

if track time interests you there's the ford motocross track just south of baja malibu.

(I don't think thats what youre lookin for, sorry)

[Edited on 5-1-2014 by willardguy]

bajalearner - 5-1-2014 at 04:48 PM

Yes, I will check that out. I didn't know about it. I'm interested in trying it. Thx

woody with a view - 5-1-2014 at 07:16 PM

we used to ride Palm Ave off the 805 until they built houses, then it was Otay (805) until they built a prison. then it was Carmel Valley, more houses.....

bajalearner - 5-1-2014 at 08:47 PM

La Rumarosa??? Is there an area to ride? I mean is it open range type thing without fences? I've never been there. I will look into it.

Maderita - 5-2-2014 at 12:56 AM

I do NOT recommend La Rumorosa for your son to learn to ride. A few dirt roads go through wilderness areas. Bikes should stay on the roads or on the few established single tracks. There are no open areas for riding in circles, doing berm tracks, jumps, and such. There are many trucks on those dirt roads, often going fast, down the middle. Even the main dirt road is not wide enough for two vehicles to pass without one pulling over to the side. I drive it at least twice a month and there are frequent near-misses. There are also numerous accidents. A novice rider would have difficulty reacting and getting out of the way of an oncoming vehicle. Falling off a bike is serious enough; getting hit head-on by a truck is deadly.

The ride south is a scenic ride for experienced riders who want to visit the Parque Nacional and perhaps continue south to Ojos Negros. In my opinion they should stay in a group, led by someone with common sense, and keep a moderate speed and slowing for corners / blind spots.

There is a nice little valley just east of Tecate maybe 2 or 3 miles. It is below the cuota, on the north side. When I drive past on weekends there are usually a couple motos kicking up dust. It looks like they have a loop route of a mile or more around the valley and seem to be having fun. I don't know if it is open land or private/fenced.

bajalearner - 5-2-2014 at 06:52 AM

I will get out to see these places and I usually gather more options when talking to guys I will run into. thx

ehall - 5-2-2014 at 08:40 AM

We where a little ways south of Rumorosa and saw a ranch called the Ponderosa, looked perfect for what you need. Secure area for kids to ride in. Lots of places to camp. It was off the road that goes to Laguna Hansen. High elevation with pine and oak trees.

bajalearner - 5-3-2014 at 08:43 AM

Great lead. thx

TMW - 5-3-2014 at 10:12 AM

Santa Veronica east of Tecate use to have lots of riding trails check it out. Also has a restaurant/bar, camping and hotel rooms. Check with the people running the place they may have a trail map or could guide you.