BajaNomad

Bank rip off

jayme - 5-3-2014 at 10:35 AM

Just wondering if any one has had a problem with Bancomer bank? I went to the one in Los Barriles in Jan. and tried to withdraw $5000.00 pesos. The machine went through the procedure as if dispensing funds, but, no cash or receipt. After a couple of days, I noticed that my account had been debited the said amount, so off to see a bank official. He assured me that there had been a malfunction of the ATM machine, but that I would be reimbursed in a week to ten days. Needless to say, as of today, no refund. My bank here in Canada tells me that this is not an isolated incident. My problem is that I didn't get a written statement from the rep in Los Barriles.....my loss. Just a heads up, if anyone finds themselves in a similar situation.

woody with a view - 5-3-2014 at 10:44 AM

"after a couple of days????"

there is your problem.

Jack Swords - 5-3-2014 at 10:52 AM

We were shorted $200 USD by a ATM in La Paz. We contacted our local (US) bank and they credited our account for that amount. They said since we pay a "fee" for the ATM transaction, that we are covered as that is the agreement between banks.

rts551 - 5-3-2014 at 10:52 AM

Happened to us passing through San Quintin on a Sunday. Could not talk to the bank manager. Wells Fargo took care of it for us. Was not a rip off...just a malfunction.

jayme - 5-3-2014 at 10:59 AM

I forgot to mention, that the bank rep brought the transaction up on his computer, showing no funds had been dispensed. He advised that my account would be reimbursed in a week or so. In that timeframe, we had returned to Loreto, and I had advised my bank

DavidE - 5-3-2014 at 12:36 PM

You have to get it in writing and a bank officer has to sign it. This is one reason why I NEVER get pesos when the bank is closed nor do I use an ATM that is not clamped to a bank building.

Name of Bank
Number of Bank Branch
Machine (right, center, left)
Date
Time
Amount Entered But Not Received
Name of bank OFFICER (not a teller)
SIGNATURE. A firma is everything in Mexican legality. The officer may balk. Prod them.

Go to an internet cafe. PRINT OUT your bank transactions page, or take an image with a camera. Get it printed. Return to bank. Get the officer's SIGNATURE on that as well. They don't like this but T.S.

DENNIS - 5-3-2014 at 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jayme

My problem is that I didn't get a written statement from the rep in Los Barriles.....my loss.

I've had similar problems here on four occasions. All I did was email my bank asap and they immediately put the funds back into my account pending investigation which always went my way. No written statement necessary.
If any bank is guilty of a rip-off, it's your bank in Canada.
I bank with Chase.

[Edited on 5-3-2014 by DENNIS]

Feathers - 5-3-2014 at 01:13 PM

This happened to me in Mulege. I had to go back to the bank, where they searched their logs and found the corresponding transaction. My Wells Fargo account was reimbursed right away.

Pompano - 5-3-2014 at 01:42 PM

We should form a club.

I've had three bad experiences with Bancomer over the years. One involving a bank trust fee mistake (corrected by my Mexican lawyer) and two with money...(1 ATM transaction and 1 money wire.) The Secret Service resolved one issue, my US bank the other.

Three strikes for Bancomer...and they are out.

bajachris - 5-5-2014 at 10:13 PM

I just throw the wad of money in my purse when it arrives out the ATM and hope no one robs me. Guess I'd better count the cash:yes:

rogbag - 5-6-2014 at 07:38 AM

I had the same thing happen at Bancomer in Los Barriles last year. Was told it was due to a mechanical malfunction of the 500 peso dispenser part of the ATM. Was also told that if I did not get a credit in a week to dispute the charge with my US bank. I did that with BofA and they issued a credit right away, did some research and sent me a letter 3 weeks later that it was decided in my favor. Not too big of a hassle.

Hook - 5-6-2014 at 08:06 AM

When I was with B of A, one of these happened to me at a Santander ATM that was at a beer distributor.

After all the research between the two banks, it was concluded that we DID get the money (we didnt) and that was the end of that. We did initially get credited the amount while the investigation was going on, but it was taken back after they reached their conclusion.

We dont go to ATMs anymore unless they are at a bank during operating hours.