BajaNomad

Best Beaches in Mexico (Baja included!)

Opey - 5-5-2014 at 11:18 AM

Here is a picture of the most visited beaches in Mexico.

From Baja there are 3 different locations recommended, two from Cabo San Lucas and One from La Paz.

:lol:

[Edited on 5-5-2014 by Opey]

[Edited on 5-9-2014 by Opey]

BajaBlanca - 5-5-2014 at 12:32 PM

Love the ones we have been to!

woody with a view - 5-5-2014 at 12:42 PM

Zicatela is the BEST beach in Mex. just don't turn your back on the ocean!

chippy - 5-5-2014 at 01:52 PM

Thatīs funny Playa de la ropa making the list. Zihuas bay is the most polluted in all of Mexico.

Bajahowodd - 5-5-2014 at 04:52 PM

Perhaps the greatest beach location in the world is right there at Playa Norte on Isla Mujeres. Once called The Avalon Reef Hotel, it is under new ownership and is now called The Mia Reef Hotel. Incredible location. My regret is that when the changed ownership, they made it an all-inclusive. However, a simple ten minute walk from the hotel finds you on the mains drag, which is pedestrian only and has dozens of restaurants of all types, from Cuban to Thai and everything in between. It's a party every night on the main drag.

Personally, the only reason we go to Cancun is to stay on Isla Mujeres.

What is also convenient is that you can get a rental car from virtually any agency on the mainland, to use to tour all of Yucatan, and they have very affordable valet parking at the ferry terminal. You do not need a car on Isla.

[Edited on 5-5-2014 by Bajahowodd]

David K - 5-6-2014 at 08:43 AM

The laughing icon at the bottom of this new Nomad's post has me wondering what Opey is trying to convey? Are the best beaches always in a city as the map shows? That would make me laugh too! :lol:

Here is my pick for best beach (north and south)...

ehall - 5-6-2014 at 10:37 AM

The best beach is the one you need a good 4 wheel drive to get to and you get there and no one else is around for miles.

willardguy - 5-6-2014 at 10:48 AM

I gotta agree with the map, to me anyway, the caribbean beaches of cancun are hard to beat!:P

David K - 5-6-2014 at 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ehall
The best beach is the one you need a good 4 wheel drive to get to and you get there and no one else is around for miles.

Often true... and the feeling of security when there is that 4WD limiter is nice... Banditos don't off road to commit crime... they choose easy prey on a highway! Alfonsina's is now behind a security gate!

rts551 - 5-6-2014 at 04:04 PM

Why is it that some people think there are Banditos at every turn when there is easy access. I haven't found that to be the case, in fact the shadiest looking characters were usually in the middle of nowhere. Am I just lucky, or have others found these on-road banditos?

Bajahowodd - 5-6-2014 at 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
The laughing icon at the bottom of this new Nomad's post has me wondering what Opey is trying to convey? Are the best beaches always in a city as the map shows? That would make me laugh too! :lol:

Here is my pick for best beach (north and south)...

Best beach for a sand crab maybe. Your beach appears to be quite barren. Maybe you ought to take your wife to some places outside the North American continent. You would probably be amazed at the bevy of gorgeous beaches all around the world.

mrfatboy - 5-6-2014 at 05:35 PM

I have been to 9 out of 11 (including David K's) of them. :)

David K - 5-6-2014 at 10:45 PM

But you see howodd, that is excatly the way we like the beach... all sand, warm water, no people except for family, friends and Nomads. I can't drive to Bora Bora and set up a sun canopy there for a 3 day weekend... but I can in any Northern Baja beach.

Different beaches have different charms and to each his own...

JZ - 5-7-2014 at 06:36 AM

Quote:

Wrong. A much better one is one you have to take a boat to.

Step it up bro.

JZ - 5-7-2014 at 06:40 AM

Quote:
But you see howodd, that is excatly the way we like the beach... all sand, warm water, no people except for family, friends and Nomads. I can't drive to Bora Bora and set up a sun canopy there for a 3 day weekend... but I can in any Northern Baja beach.

I think the beaches around and south of San Felipe are pretty ugly. To barren as howodd mentions. Too exposed to the wind. The better beaches have more mountains and/or in bays.

[Edited on 5-7-2014 by JZ]

David K - 5-7-2014 at 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JZ
Quote:

I think the beaches around and south of San Felipe are pretty ugly. To barren as howodd mentions. Too exposed to the wind. The better beaches have more mountains and/or in bays.

[Edited on 5-7-2014 by JZ]

For sure I have been blown off Shell Island more than once, but to have a beach as nice with mountains next to would either require a boat to get to or is just a bit far for a a trip of less than a week.

Baja has many choices!

I think the beach at Guadalupe (Remedios) Bay may be just such a perfect beach? BajaNomad (Doug) camps there and posted some really nice photos of it.

Gonzaga Bay was a great beach, and near Punta Final you have a mountain behind it.

Bahia Concepcion has some real neat tropical beaches... but highway noise and crowds of people can affect your tranquility there.

Punta San Francisquito has a great beach... but wind can hit you there... same st San Rafael (Pancho's) beach... Las Animas, etc.

ehall - 5-7-2014 at 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JZ
Quote:

Wrong. A much better one is one you have to take a boat to.

Step it up bro.

Oh ya, you are definitely correct on that. I just don't have a boat.

Barry A. - 5-7-2014 at 04:05 PM

My choice, only available to boats, or to walk to, is the tiny beach at the far southeast end of BOLA with a yacht wreck on it, picture recently posted on this NOMADS board. (Trip photos--Gonzaga to BOLA)

Brilliant white granitic sand, fairly steep incline into the water for excellent swimming, very clear warm water but no waves, and seldom any wind, backed by very close rugged big mountains, and we have always (so far) had it all to ourselves. Caught a lot of Sierra off that beach, too.

Also, between BOLA and Animas Bay are several excellent southeast facing beaches/coves, but you cannot drive to any of them.

Barry

[Edited on 5-7-2014 by Barry A.]

Pompano - 5-7-2014 at 04:06 PM

This one on the Pacific side....all yours for surfing, sunbathing au natural, or just relaxing without a crowd. A crowd here is...3.

JZ - 5-7-2014 at 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
My choice, only available to boats, or to walk to, is the tiny beach at the far southeast end of BOLA with a yacht wreck on it, picture recently posted on this NOMADS board. (Trip photos--Gonzaga to BOLA)

Brilliant white granitic sand, fairly steep incline into the water for excellent swimming, very clear warm water but no waves, and seldom any wind, backed by very close rugged big mountains, and we have always (so far) had it all to ourselves. Caught a lot of Sierra off that beach, too.

Also, between BOLA and Animas Bay are several excellent southeast facing beaches/coves, but you cannot drive to any of them.

Barry

Here you go:

David K - 5-7-2014 at 05:59 PM

That's very nice JZ!:cool:

Ateo - 5-7-2014 at 06:01 PM

I love the variety of beaches that we humans prefer. Kind of like our taste in Men and Women. Everyone has their "type". Me, I like a nice, smooth, sandy bottom and a hollow right point break with large waves. That won't be found on the Sea of Cortez, generally.

[Edited on 5-8-2014 by Ateo]

Barry A. - 5-8-2014 at 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JZ
Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.

Barry

Here you go:

Yep, that's the one!!! Thanks, JZ. That wonderful beach lies just north of "La Mona" (on the BOLA) in the Baja Almanac. It's a short walk (less than 1/4 mile?) north from La Mona.

Barry

Bajahowodd - 5-8-2014 at 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
North Beach, Akumal, Tulum, all spectacular.... like being in a postcard!
I agree with chippy, that Zihua bay is a toilet.
I'll be checking out Troncones this summer a few times for the surfing... keeping Nayarit off my radar for now just because of those water quality issues.

As far as remote beaches go, I love them but, well, I've had a gun pointed at me on one and some guys started harassing my wife on another while I was surf fishing.... I encouraged them to leave in short order but the guy with the gun took some persuading.

There is something that just can't be beat about coral sand and that crystal clear water that usually comes with it.

[Edited on 5-7-2014 by soulpatch]

Just curious about just what North beach you are referring to. If it is on Isla Mujeres, then totally agree. There are so few beaches around the world, and I have visited many, that can offer that incredible azure water and shallow walkout.

willardguy - 5-8-2014 at 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Quote:
I'll be checking out Troncones this summer a few times for the surfing... keeping Nayarit off my radar for now just because of those water quality issues.

As far as remote beaches go, I love them but, well, I've had a gun pointed at me on one and some guys started harassing my wife on another while I was surf fishing.... I encouraged them to leave in short order but the guy with the gun took some persuading.

There is something that just can't be beat about coral sand and that crystal clear water that usually comes with it.

Just curious about just what North beach you are referring to. If it is on Isla Mujeres, then totally agree. There are so few beaches around the world, and I have visited many, that can offer that incredible azure water and shallow walkout.
make that WARM azure water! too bad the place is haunted!:lol:

Bajahowodd - 5-9-2014 at 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Quote:

make that WARM azure water! too bad the place is haunted!:lol:

Care to 'splain?

chuckie - 5-9-2014 at 04:09 PM

AND..The chupacabras!