BajaNomad

Charles Schwab

weebray - 5-6-2014 at 06:06 PM

One more reason to sign up with Chuck. We had occasion to have to wire $ in a hurry yesterday. Called Chuck, got a recording and had to wait the usual +- 30 seconds for an agent. "No problem, you can do it online easily" she sez. "Oh, and by the way you get 3 free wire transfers every quarter." sez she. "You mean free, like in free checking, free foreign transactions, no atm fees and the like?" sez I "Yes." she sez, "all completely free." You think I'm a believer? Oh btw, the transaction had to be confirmed by phone which involved answering a few security questions. The $ was there 15 min. later.

Hook - 5-7-2014 at 01:18 AM

So, you wire transferred money from your US Schwab account to a Mexican bank for free?

mrfatboy - 5-7-2014 at 05:26 AM

I have done free wire transfers to Spain and within the US using chuck. I have not tried Mexico.

bill erhardt - 5-7-2014 at 05:55 AM

A couple of months ago I made withdrawals with a Schwab debit card at Bancomer in Loreto of 10,000 pesos on seven successive days without a hiccup. At the end of the month my Schwab account was credited $42 for charges by Bancomer.
It's good to know that a wire transfer is also possible without incurrring a ransom in fees.

Justbozo - 5-7-2014 at 06:55 AM

SECURITY

My Gal has been here in Baja most of the winter and uses her Schwab card regularly. No problems.
Visiting in Florida, uses her card, not one minute later her phone is ringing. It's Chuck with security questions!
That may be part of why some people have so much trouble. Got to have things set up and updated properly.
Computers, garbage in, garbage out.

weebray - 5-8-2014 at 10:35 AM

Schwab IS very security conscious and we have to "work" with them when using our card in unexpected places. I don't blame them, it's their money (they are responsible for fraudulent transactions) and it's a debit card. Unlike a credit card, it's instant access to cash. I have no problem with their caution.