BajaNomad

This Car Matters

TMW - 5-7-2014 at 11:14 AM

1964 Meyers Manx "Old Red"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNjWdjvaZIc

Barry A. - 5-7-2014 at 11:30 AM

We had one of those years ago. What a hoot!!!

Barry

wessongroup - 5-7-2014 at 11:39 AM

Thanks TW ... those were the days

Pompano - 5-7-2014 at 11:45 AM

Truly a great classic...and reminds me a lot of my old Baja Buggy..may she rest in pieces.

Those were great little cars!

Whale-ista - 5-7-2014 at 12:43 PM

Thanks for the memories! Good to see the original designer has been so acclaimed. It was an ingenious invention, one of the things that made So Cal famous for fiberglass.

My family had one, it was a "toad" behind the old GMC "Open Road" RV chassis mount camper.

One year we all posed in the buggy, with pets, for the family Christmas card. Classic!

Ahh...memories.

bufeo - 5-7-2014 at 12:49 PM

Son-in-law, Andy Grider, is excited about driving the MM in the second half of the NORRA Mexican 1000 this coming weekend. See https://www.facebook.com/neil.grider?fref=ts What a trip! And to think, I let one slip through my hands a few years ago. While I was "thinking about it" someone else acted. Oh well.

Allen R

On edit: Sorry, the MM item is the second one down on Neil's FB page.

[Edited on 5-7-2014 by bufeo]

Barry A. - 5-7-2014 at 12:58 PM

My sister and brother-in-law on a camping trip were driving down to Cabo before the paved road in an over-loaded Manx with a roof-rack, and were caught in a Tropical Storm around Laguna Chapala. They broke the Manx partially in 2 crossing a roaring river south of Chapala in the rain. They got towed by a friend in a British Land Rover to Guerrero Negro, had the Manx welded up, and went on their way to Cabo never having another problem.

What an adventure. (in the good ol days) :lol:

Barry

David K - 5-7-2014 at 06:28 PM

My Manx in 1975, on the way to El Marmol. Modified for Baja camping with roof/ rack/ side curtains for wet weather... My first 'car'!

liknbaja127 - 5-7-2014 at 07:42 PM

Bufeo, good luck this next week! We will by there in a class 5. will be our
1st rally race! Can't wait! will look for you guys.
David, that was a nice ride! do you still have it? Also like the bell bottoms!

bufeo - 5-8-2014 at 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by liknbaja127
1st rally race! Can't wait! will look for you guys....

And good luck to you also. Unfortunately, I won't be there. Other commitments on the calendar before I knew Andy would be driving. He's experienced with this type of rally, so, if the car holds together, they should do well.

Safe rides to all.

Allen R.

willardguy - 5-8-2014 at 08:59 AM

bruce meyers and his team are bustin out the #1964 car looking for bruce's first finish, the manx club will all be at the horsepower ranch tomorrow nite. 20 bucks a head for dinner and live music!

David K - 5-8-2014 at 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by liknbaja127
1st rally race! Can't wait! will look for you guys.
David, that was a nice ride! do you still have it? Also like the bell bottoms!

Thanks... No, I took it apart and used the engine for 2 seat race buggy project Class 1-2/1600 (never was completed and sold the 2 seater). I don't recall who got the Manx body... the aluminum roof was stored behind some brush by my mom's home at Lake Wohlford, and the big fire that burned through there a few years ago melted it (and burned my mom's place and my old place to the ground). I found the corner of the roof after the fire and saved it until I moved last summer. Hard to let go of memorabilia.

Here's a photo of me at 14 (1972) driving it at Nuevo Mazatlan, south of San Felipe...

liknbaja127 - 5-8-2014 at 08:12 PM

That's to bad it looks like a fun ride for the time! the things go every were!
Sure we will see a few this week! can't wait, will report back after the 18th
on our race:bounce:

David K - 5-9-2014 at 12:55 AM

Yes, it was amazing... no 4WD needed... it climbed the old Puertecitos to Gonzaga road in the 70's and on the bottomless sand beaches. The engine over the drive tires makes all the difference, along with those Armstrong HiWay Flotation tires in back!

micah202 - 5-9-2014 at 08:53 AM

...fun clip..good design....''flat-top fenders to place a beer''!!

..gotta love the pictures in the fiberglass plant....no gloves,,no masks,,no braincells!! :O:O

Original 1969 ad

durrelllrobert - 5-9-2014 at 09:11 AM

[Edited on 5-9-2014 by durrelllrobert]

Original 1968 ad

durrelllrobert - 5-9-2014 at 09:14 AM

wessongroup - 5-9-2014 at 09:18 AM

Anyone remember the "vulcanizing" patches to fix flats ... :biggrin::biggrin:

VW's would go any place ... just about

And their front fenders could hold a beer ...

My dad on the left and a friend of mine on the right ... Its a can of XX's

In the pickle weed .. behind the sand dues

[Edited on 5-9-2014 by wessongroup]