BajaNomad

Gas stations and gas in Baja Looks good now.

Cliffy - 5-8-2014 at 01:22 PM

Just wan to let everyone know that every Pemex we went to down to Loreto and back had new electronic pumps that self zero AND I checked each station we used at 19 liters into a marked can and every one of them was accurate! Even GN!!!!

ehall - 5-8-2014 at 02:16 PM

I had the same experience. San Felipe, Gonzaga Bay, El Rosario, San Quinton, and El Rumorosa. All clean stations with electronic self zeroing pumps. Never felt like I was short changed except when I argued with an attendant about my change and he pulled out a calculator and made me feel like an idiot. Ha Ha my bad ( I paid in pesos and got change back in dollars, really screwed me up)

sancho - 5-8-2014 at 02:22 PM

Another Good Old Day hurdle gone, when the Santa Rosalia station
would charge for 4 gal. more than the vehicle would hold,
or run out of gas for 2-3 days

blackwolfmt - 5-8-2014 at 02:41 PM

So does this mean they take credit cards??

Udo - 5-8-2014 at 02:48 PM

I would NEVER use a credit or debit card at a Pemex station.

dasubergeek - 5-8-2014 at 03:47 PM

Only as a last resort... that's just inviting trouble.

Now if only they could get to the part where they don't disappear with your 500$ bill (for a charge of 280$) for ten minutes.

chuckie - 5-8-2014 at 04:03 PM

UDO! I used yours...no problema....

ncampion - 5-8-2014 at 04:08 PM

I use credit cards occasionally at the station in Loreto, I don't see any more risk there than at any other location.

Ateo - 5-8-2014 at 04:42 PM

I had a problem at the Rosarito Toll Road station last week. Told the attendant 400 pesos of verde. He proceeded to just fill the tank up and I was charged 900 pesos. I had the money but still.................not cool.

Cliffy - 5-8-2014 at 09:44 PM

as a test I used one card a few times at Pemex Now we'll see what happens I'll check on line Every time they used a reader right at the pump but only in stations up north would they accept a credit card

TMW - 5-10-2014 at 08:56 AM

We've used a credit card a few times over the last couple of years and have not had any problems. I did hear from a friend that had a problem after he used his card at the Pemex on the north side of San Felipe. That was several months ago.

Udo - 5-10-2014 at 02:47 PM

I'm glad it is still working, Chuckie!

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
UDO! I used yours...no problema....

Bajahowodd - 5-10-2014 at 05:00 PM

Isn't there an independent contractor involved with the Pemex stations that take credit cards?

David K - 5-10-2014 at 05:38 PM

Pemex stations are franchises, but without a lot of independence form government regulation and control.

alacran - 5-10-2014 at 08:48 PM

It pays to pay attention, between 400 and 900

dirtbikr - 5-11-2014 at 04:34 PM

Now if they could get some low sulfer diesel...in sur:O

[Edited on 5-11-2014 by dirtbikr]

shari - 5-11-2014 at 06:01 PM

we always use a credit card to buy gas...no problema.

talking about Pemex stations...Bahia Asuncion's new Pemex is getting ready to open very soon...sometime this month...here are the latest pics of it...I am sooooo looking forward to it and hope the store has coffee!!! It will be run by the neighbours.

DavidE - 5-12-2014 at 10:03 AM

Boy I've heard that one before. After pavement was laid, pumps waxed and polished, signs erected new the gasolineras sat for months while the permit process crawled along. Vamos a ver.

durrelllrobert - 5-12-2014 at 10:10 AM

US credit cards are no problema at PEMEX unless the attendant takes it inside to process the transaction :fire:

SFandH - 5-13-2014 at 06:45 AM

Just got back from a couple of months driving around the peninsula. I bought A LOT of gasoline (cash, pesos) and stopped at many PEMEX stations. ALL of them provided excellent full service, clean bathrooms, most have convenience stores, and the larger ones (most of them) have plenty of parking to stop, take a breather, and take care of the dog's requirements. We even spent one night in the camper at the Los Pinos station south of San Quintin. We got there well after dark and were leaving early the next morning. We told the workers we were going to do that and they said fine. Coffee and clean bathrooms in the morning. Excellent!

One attendant told me while she was filling the tank that she works 8 hours a day and makes 160 pesos. After I heard that I decided to tip 10 pesos every time, whether the windows are washed or not.

[Edited on 5-13-2014 by SFandH]

Bajatripper - 5-13-2014 at 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ehall
Never felt like I was short changed except when I argued with an attendant about my change and he pulled out a calculator and made me feel like an idiot. Ha Ha my bad ( I paid in pesos and got change back in dollars, really screwed me up)

Now, there's someone who would interest me as a friend--a person who isn't afraid to admit his mistakes. You are a member of that rare breed, all too few and far in-between.

DavidE - 5-13-2014 at 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajatripper
Quote:
Originally posted by ehall
Never felt like I was short changed except when I argued with an attendant about my change and he pulled out a calculator and made me feel like an idiot. Ha Ha my bad ( I paid in pesos and got change back in dollars, really screwed me up)

Now, there's someone who would interest me as a friend--a person who isn't afraid to admit his mistakes. You are a member of that rare breed, all too few and far in-between.

When I receive change and shake my head in utter confusion and an attendant or clerk politely straightens me out, I explain (in Spanish)

"It's no fun, getting old, and going blind and stupid"

Without exception this leaves them howling with laughter, and the guys usually slap my shoulder.

Bajahowodd - 5-13-2014 at 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Pemex stations are franchises, but without a lot of independence form government regulation and control.

You totally missed my point. From many experiences traveling Baja, I seem to recall that the stations that advertise credito also mention some internet outfit that handles the transactions.

AndyinLHC - 5-14-2014 at 08:38 PM

I use my credit card all the time now. I view my account online to set up travel notifications for the dates I'm down there and check my transactions. I get the exact current exchange rate without any fees or reduced rates. I follow the attendant if they take my card inside. I've used it all over Baja Norte with no problems. The more you use the card the bank will build up a "profile". If spending isn't within the profile then it will trigger an alert or block a transaction. It allows me to keep my pesos for important things like camarones and tequila!

fudscrud - 5-17-2014 at 08:50 AM

If you pay in $US, keep an eye for the exchange rate at different stations.
I almost always use pesos while in Mex but we were on a two day ride from Tecate to Coyote Cals (Erendira) and back so didn't bother getting pesos.
Gassed up in Ojo Negros and the exchange was 12.5/1 then on to Sto Tomas and it was 11/1. It didn't make a huge difference with just three dirt bikes but if you're filling a big tank this will get into your beer money.:(

Udo - 5-17-2014 at 10:38 AM

I really had NO idea what the attendants make.

I now feel that at least 10 pesos is now in order no matter what.

Bajahowodd - 5-17-2014 at 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
I really had NO idea what the attendants make.

I now feel that at least 10 pesos is now in order no matter what.

Probably until Mexico adopts self-serve, your words are wisdom. I imagine that in many cases, the families of the pump jockeys are living off and feeding their kids from the propinas.

Whale-ista - 5-18-2014 at 09:42 AM

I regularly tip attendants- but I'll be more generous now knowing their pay grade. I never asked what they are paid. Thanks for the Information.

I also ask them for Information on places to stay, trustworthy mechanics, places to eat etc. They often are locals and know the neighborhood and are also good sources of travel Information- they'll know if there are problems along the highway from conversations with other customers.

I try to return to the same station each trip to catch up on local chisme and get introduced to the neighbors who come in. Many come by to chat as well as purchase gas. I've had some interesting chats that way- almost as good as a barber or beauty shop!

Regarding exchange rate: in January the 28th parallel Pemex had "12:1" posted in their windows. A few KM away, in GN, the first Pemex off the hwy charged me 11:1 when my debit card was rejected. I went to the ATM next to the station and used the debit card for pesos- and my credit union gave me a 13:1 exchange. Crazy...

Now I always use the hwy station, never the GN stations- and I've heard others say the same. (Unfortunately, did I read that the hwy Pemex at the 28th parallel is closed?)

Bajahowodd - 5-18-2014 at 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista
I regularly tip attendants- but I'll be more generous now knowing their pay grade. I never asked what they are paid. Thanks for the Information.

I also ask them for Information on places to stay, trustworthy mechanics, places to eat etc. They often are locals and know the neighborhood and are also good sources of travel Information- they'll know if there are problems along the highway from conversations with other customers.

I try to return to the same station each trip to catch up on local chisme and get introduced to the neighbors who come in. Many come by to chat as well as purchase gas. I've had some interesting chats that way- almost as good as a barber or beauty shop!

Regarding exchange rate: in January the 28th parallel Pemex had "12:1" posted in their windows. A few KM away, in GN, the first Pemex off the hwy charged me 11:1 when my debit card was rejected. I went to the ATM next to the station and used the debit card for pesos- and my credit union gave me a 13:1 exchange. Crazy...

Now I always use the hwy station, never the GN stations- and I've heard others say the same. (Unfortunately, did I read that the hwy Pemex at the 28th parallel is closed?)

A young man named Waldo who worked for Hotel Caracoles, and who had spent considerable time NOB, told us several years ago that if you are headed South, do not buy gas in Guerrero Negro if you can avoid it. The Northern most Pemex at Vizcaino is known to be reputable.

Now, if you are headed North, that could be a problem inasmuch as if it is true that the Pemex right by the border on the main highway is closed, you would have to go up to Villa Maria. However, I have found that station to be a crapshoot, in that it has been out of gas more than once when I stopped there. And, when headed North, it would be a major dolor en el culo to have to turn around to go back and fill up in Guerrero Negro.

J.P. - 5-18-2014 at 09:08 PM

Quote:
One attendant told me while she was filling the tank that she works 8 hours a day and makes 160 pesos. After I heard that I decided to tip 10 pesos every time, whether the windows are washed or not.

[Edited on 5-13-2014 by SFandH]

When I was in high school I worked as a pump jockey and would have ben glad to make 160 p a shift :lol::lol::lol::lol:
Heck what am I talking about that was in the mid 50's

The jocks at the local Pemex all know me and they know I tip pretty good so there is competition to get me to their pump.