BajaNomad

Monthly Swap Meet at Pescador Fiesta Restaurant, Rosarito, Near Puerto Nuevo

Gypsy Jan - 5-11-2014 at 11:19 AM

I was cleaning out the closets in the casa, looking for something our daughter was asking about when I realized I had a pile of "stuff" (George Carlin reference) that we don't use or need anymore.

The Pescador/Fiesta restaurant at Km 44 on the Tijuana-Ensenada Free Road near Puerto Nuevo hosts a swap meet on every second Saturday of the month.

No charge to sell, but you must bring your own display equipment. I set up a card table in the shade of the open palapa that is next to the restaurant wall.

At 11:00 am on last Saturday morning, the parking lot was full and there were maybe a hundred and fifty people buzzing around the various displays of merchandise.

LESSONS I LEARNED FROM MY VIRGINAL SWAP MEET EXPERIENCE

1. No one, American or Mexican or Mexican-American, will pay more than five dollars for ANYTHING.

2. If a Mexican wife says she will buy your item at the price mentioned, the husband will show up with the money - but he will be a dollar short.

3. The only negative experience I had was with two British women. Someone asked them when they were shopping at my table if they were from New Zealand. They froze the guy with a deadly stare and said, "We are Londoners."

They asked how much for a pair of earrings that I paid $100 dollars for at Neiman Marcus and I replied, "$5.00".

They turned their noses up in unison and sniffed, saying, "Your prices are too expensive."

My response? "OK, thank you, good bye, enjoy your visit to Baja."

All I got in reply was their backs.

That being said, I had a great fun time at the swap meet - the people, buyers and sellers, were for the most part polite and friendly; the restaurant staff regularly checked on those of us out there at our displays on the sidewalk to see if we needed anything and patrolled the area, keeping the passageway clean.

I will be back on the second Saturday of June.

[Edited on 5-11-2014 by Gypsy Jan]

willardguy - 5-11-2014 at 11:33 AM

the key is to just sell enough to buy a rack of pescador ribs and a couple margies!:D

willardguy - Funny!

Gypsy Jan - 5-11-2014 at 11:46 AM

I asked one of the ex-pat American ladies if she made any money.

Her reply, "Once I clear my bar tab and have some dinner, it's all a wash."