BajaNomad

Don't buy your meat in Mexico and bring it back to the USA

EnsenadaDr - 5-14-2014 at 09:35 PM

What a hellish border crossing I had at Tecate. I had bought some eggs in the US, but the people I was bringing the eggs to in Tecate had dozens so I decided to bring them back. No big deal right? It was about 2 pm. on Monday afternoon crossing the Tecate border, and they asked me at US crossing, "anything to declare?" I said no, because I had bought the eggs in the US. The woman asked me to open the trunk and then sent me to secondary. I guess even if you buy eggs in the US you can't cross again, even with a receipt. Also fresh meat and poultry and apples and oranges are prohibited. So if you are tempted by lower prices on meat, don't even think about it. The agent told me if you bring any of these items across you could be fined $1000 and if you have Sentri they can take away your pass.

[Edited on 5-15-2014 by EnsenadaDr]

Bajaboy - 5-14-2014 at 09:45 PM

How long have you lived in Mexico?

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/82/~/travelers-...

chuckie - 5-14-2014 at 10:34 PM

Its been that way for years......and years

watizname - 5-14-2014 at 10:38 PM

:light::light::light::light::light::light::light::light::light::light::light::light::light:

J.P. - 5-14-2014 at 10:43 PM

Just last week we crossed going north in our R.V. and were sent to secondary which is pretty much routine when we are in our R.V.
we had the good fortune of meeting the nicest officer I have ever encountered his rank and name was lieutenant White. upon seeing our German Shepard he asked if we had any Dog Food we said no we thought it was illegal. He replied if it is American dog food and in the original bag it is ok. what they don't want to see is the kind you scoop up out of a barrel in a non branded container.:yes::yes:

EnsenadaDr - 5-15-2014 at 06:18 AM

I think what upset me was that I had bought it in the US and they wouldn't allow me to return with it. Sorry I can't voice my concerns here without being pounced on.

chuckie - 5-15-2014 at 06:32 AM

You poor thing...

bajalearner - 5-15-2014 at 06:46 AM

My experience is that even with a minor incident like yours, the agent made a notation on your record and we are only allowed 3 incidents when they revoke the SENTRI. So it is small seemingly insignificant encounters that will cause a huge problem later.

I cross almost daily and tend to forget some basic things because I rarely have anything to declare. By far, most of the agents have been professional yet realistic when applying the rules. But some agents have the Gestapo mindset when common sense could be the best approach.

I like to read these reports so it might keep me from doing the same thing.

bajabuddha - 5-15-2014 at 06:47 AM

I've learned to not bring anything back but fish, and then you'd better know the 'season' for legally having shrimp or scallops. Also, it's legal to bring back hard-boiled eggs, but I was also told they have to be in a U.S. carton; even the Mexican egg cartons are illegal, so I carry a few extra down (mainly for beach folks who don't have them for bringing eggs home from the stores instead of in baggies).

Far's the ''pouncing'' is concerned, that's the primary Sport of Nomads. You've certainly studied geriatric caregiving in your profession; it's what impotent old women with testicles do when frustrated, bored, and angry at the world for going on without them. Kinda like the VFW's and Legion Posts... thank heavens for the Women's Auxiliary or they wouldn't exist.

chuckie - 5-15-2014 at 06:58 AM

You be too much, Buddha Mon!:lol::lol::lol:

EnsenadaDr - 5-15-2014 at 07:30 AM

Just curious Chuckie, what's your day like down south?
Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
You be too much, Buddha Mon!:lol::lol::lol:

rts551 - 5-15-2014 at 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
I think what upset me was that I had bought it in the US and they wouldn't allow me to return with it. Sorry I can't voice my concerns here without being pounced on.

And just how were they to know the eggs were purchased in the US?

And don't tell me because they were white!

EnsenadaDr - 5-15-2014 at 07:40 AM

I don't know, how did the guy above convince the agents that they are bringing US egg cartons so they could put hard boiled eggs in them? (Don't tell me because it was in English, because the agent told me that many egg cartons are from the US that are sold in Mexico)

greengoes - 5-15-2014 at 08:40 AM

Quote:
........(Don't tell me because it was in English, because the agent told me that many egg cartons are from the US that are sold in Mexico).....

They have been trained to spot the cheap knockoffs of egg cartons, watches, handbags and medicines.

Abie also said they are trained to spot knockoff doctors too.

chuckie - 5-15-2014 at 09:01 AM

Hey Doc! I am in Westcliffe Colorado for a while, undergoing a lot of poking prodding at the VA hospital....Back to Loma Azul in the fall, for good again I hope....

JZ - 5-15-2014 at 09:31 AM

Thanks for the tip. How about a kilo of blow??

dasubergeek - 5-15-2014 at 09:32 AM

They reminded me firmly of that when I had my please-add-my-truck SENTRI "interview"—once food crosses into Mexico, it's Mexican food, even if it started out here.

DavidE - 5-15-2014 at 10:01 AM

Don't look for sympathy with this bunch. I'm trolling now, I WANT someone to make a smartassed remark about this response...

willardguy - 5-15-2014 at 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dasubergeek
They reminded me firmly of that when I had my please-add-my-truck SENTRI "interview"—once food crosses into Mexico, it's Mexican food, even if it started out here.
a good reason why SENTRI may not be suited for some. risk a SENTRI revocation on your otherwise squeaky clean record, to save you from sitting in a line for a half hour? no thanks

David K - 5-15-2014 at 10:27 AM

I have posted the forbidden list often. While it is old one thing stands out and that's the top three items: Pork, Chicken, Eggs. Oranges are banned but limes, are ok. We still got sent to secodary after declaring them. Now we don't bring any fresh food home and give any to the military at a checkpoint.

EnsenadaDr - 5-15-2014 at 10:57 AM

You know Greengoes I have always maintained that you are a troll. How I know that is that you don't even post on the other site which means you are probably a member from there under another name. By the way, I don't believe you even live in Ensenada. So tell me, how is an anonymous poster who talks to cats able to criticize anyone else? You probably never crossed the border into Mexico in the past 10 years.
Quote:
Originally posted by greengoes
Quote:
........(Don't tell me because it was in English, because the agent told me that many egg cartons are from the US that are sold in Mexico).....

They have been trained to spot the cheap knockoffs of egg cartons, watches, handbags and medicines.

Abie also said they are trained to spot knockoff doctors too.

EnsenadaDr - 5-15-2014 at 11:00 AM

Thank you DavidK and Dasubergeek for the tips!!

[Edited on 5-15-2014 by EnsenadaDr]

sancho - 5-15-2014 at 11:21 AM

Quote:

You've been on this board long enough to have grown
thicker skin, that's just the way it is here, EVERYONE gets
a shot taken at them, don't take it personally, a little
sarcasim never hurt anyone. Read of a guy crossing back
into AZ. nothing to declare he said, Customs found something
like 3 avocados, fined him $280

EnsenadaDr - 5-15-2014 at 11:38 AM

Yes you are right. My dad used to say I need a thicker skin. I wonder why they allow those Mexican truckers with all those fruits and vegetables in. Is there any quality control for them?

DavidE - 5-15-2014 at 11:43 AM

When I crossed with an RV full of stuff, I gave up and told the guy in the booth "I'm not too sure (what to declare)" that I've got...

I always laugh at the guy in the Camper who told Customs in Nogales, "Nothing to Declare" and they found forty bottles of tequila hidden inside. I saw the camper with cones around it at secondary, then the following day I read about his arrest in the Arizona Republic. It's been a lot of years and I've forgotten the fine, but it was staggering. Like fifteen thousand dollars. he was in jail. Sure learned me.

TMW - 5-15-2014 at 11:43 AM

The limits set for alcohol applies no matter where it is purchased. There is also a limit on how much alcohol you can bring into Mexico.

Bajaboy - 5-15-2014 at 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
The limits set for alcohol applies no matter where it is purchased. There is also a limit on how much alcohol you can bring into Mexico.

And make sure you don't take guns or ammo into Mexico even if you are a marine....:light: Or more than $10,000 cash.

[Edited on 5-15-2014 by Bajaboy]

Bajaboy - 5-15-2014 at 11:46 AM

Quote:
Yes you are right. My dad used to say I need a thicker skin. I wonder why they allow those Mexican truckers with all those fruits and vegetables in. Is there any quality control for them?

they declared them:light:

DavidE - 5-15-2014 at 12:18 PM

My mangoes cannot travel further north than Culiacan or Queretaro. There they have to undergo a hot water wash to certify them to proceed. The hot water wash requires a certificate. The certificate requires a new car or boat or addition to la casa chica annually.

The California avocado lobby is responsible for the ban on avocados. They will be damned if they will get cheated out of earning a dollar a fruit. The ban is not over disease, or pests. The ban is purchased.

wiltonh - 5-15-2014 at 12:26 PM

If you boil the eggs they are okay.

We have made the mistake of having a fresh egg in the fridge twice. With the length of the lines there was probably time to boil them in the RV before while waiting in line.

StuckSucks - 5-15-2014 at 12:27 PM

About 10 years ago, my wife and I were crossing back into the US at Mexicali. I happened to have an 18 pack of Coors Light with me, purchased in the US, but not consumed while in Baja. Without a receipt, however, I couldn't prove that I didn't purchase the beer in Mexico, and off to Secondary we went.

And no, we didn't go to Mexico to smuggle Coors into the US.

And please don't mock me for drinking watery American rat urine.

EnsenadaDr - 5-15-2014 at 12:31 PM

but what is different from the fruits they let in on the trucks vs. the fruits that even though we declare them they don't allow into the US? Are they sprayed with paraquat or what?
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:

they declared them:light:

pacificobob - 5-15-2014 at 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha

Far's the ''pouncing'' is concerned, that's the primary Sport of Nomads. You've certainly studied geriatric caregiving in your profession; it's what impotent old women with testicles do when frustrated, bored, and angry at the world for going on without them. Kinda like the VFW's and Legion Posts...

well said, i feel sorry for the over-aged school yard bullies. i doesn't take much of a man to take swings from behind a keyboard

J.P. - 5-15-2014 at 12:41 PM

I owned a 18 wheel truck and used to haul a lot of produce to and from Otay Mesa . I used to back up to the dock in Otay and have to wait for the inspectors from Mexico to get there, I hauled a lot of Potatos from Colorado to Otay that were bound for Calimax in Baja

motoged - 5-15-2014 at 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Don't look for sympathy with this bunch. I'm trolling now, I WANT someone to make a smartassed remark about this response...

:lol::lol::lol::lol: cuz what's gonna happen then?????

Jack Swords - 5-15-2014 at 01:15 PM

The presence of the avocado weevil (Heilipus lauri Boh.) in California, where it was probably introduced from Mexico in avocado seeds, caused the Federal Horticultural Board to prohibit the importation of seeds of the Mexican race from Mexico and Central America. This insect is a small black beetle which tunnels in the seeds, and is said to do considerable damage.

Read more: http://chestofbooks.com/gardening-horticulture/fruit/Tropica...

Go ahead and import seedless avocados.

bajabuddha - 5-15-2014 at 01:41 PM

BTW, I have it on recent fact from the Border Enforcement folks jut a few weeks ago that alcohol is now federally controlled on the amount you can return with. Used to be it was up to each State, now it's ONE LITER per person or one six-pack of beer (sorry, didn't ask about tobacco). To enter Mexico you're allowed 3 liters per person. That's verbatim from The Man.

Far's i'm concerned, just tests your recent how-to-hide-it skills, and the key is don't get greedy. Ain't worth the hassle. I take a lot more with me going south than coming back north for sure; mordida is easier to control with Los Jefes.

Also, coming north and you're in an RV, you WILL be sent to secondary no matter what; a nice border guard (yes, I finally met ONE) told me it's all about the agriculture and food inspection, because so many people think they're good but have contraband anyway, mainly because they've screwed up, down, and over all the rules so many times nobody really can know, so just expect secondary, period.

chuckie - 5-15-2014 at 01:47 PM

Past few years, I have not found it worthwhile to bring booze back from Mexico. Most things can be purchased from big discount stores cheaper, same brands. And like Buddha, I have taken a vow of abstinence....

greengoes - 5-15-2014 at 03:12 PM

Quote:
You know Greengoes I have always maintained that you are a troll. How I know that is that you don't even post on the other site which means you are probably a member from there under another name. By the way, I don't believe you even live in Ensenada. So tell me, how is an anonymous poster who talks to cats able to criticize anyone else? You probably never crossed the border into Mexico in the past 10 years.

You forgot to speculate on the 5 lb. ball of belly button lint I claimed to have.

willardguy - 5-15-2014 at 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by StuckSucks
About 10 years ago, my wife and I were crossing back into the US at Mexicali. I happened to have an 18 pack of Coors Light with me, purchased in the US, but not consumed while in Baja. Without a receipt, however, I couldn't prove that I didn't purchase the beer in Mexico, and off to Secondary we went.

And no, we didn't go to Mexico to smuggle Coors into the US.

And please don't mock me for drinking watery American rat urine.
interestingly enough coors uses the taller thinner 209 can compared to the standard 211 cans everyone else uses, but the coors you buy down here uses the standard size can. now if the border patrol guys drank the silver bullet, it would have been obvious that beer came from the good ol'USofA!:yes:

motoged - 5-15-2014 at 03:55 PM

US border guys confiscated canned dog food made in the USA when I crossed from Canada into the US....all because of the mad cow frenzy...how's a retired guy supposed to make a sandwich ? :lol:

durrelllrobert - 5-15-2014 at 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
US border guys confiscated canned dog food made in the USA when I crossed from Canada into the US....all because of the mad cow frenzy...how's a retired guy supposed to make a sandwich ? :lol:

..and you can bring venison, elk and moose meat into the US but not the antlers?

durrelllrobert - 5-15-2014 at 04:26 PM

Quote:
BTW, I have it on recent fact from the Border Enforcement folks jut a few weeks ago that alcohol is now federally controlled on the amount you can return with. Used to be it was up to each State, now it's ONE LITER per person or one six-pack of beer (sorry, didn't ask about tobacco). To enter Mexico you're allowed 3 liters per person. That's verbatim from The Man.

Far's i'm concerned, just tests your recent how-to-hide-it skills, and the key is don't get greedy. Ain't worth the hassle. I take a lot more with me going south than coming back north for sure; mordida is easier to control with Los Jefes.

Last time I was at the Duty Free store at San Ysidro I noticed a guy on his back stuffing cartons of cigarettes into a hidden compartment under his trunk (where the gas tank normally is?). He had 3 cardboard cases, each holding 60 cartons.
He was still stuffing when I left and I alerted Mexican Customs with description of vehicle and plate number. I hope they caught him because 180 cartoons were not for his personal use :fire:

viabaja - 5-15-2014 at 05:10 PM

I'll ask the same question! How long have you lived in Baja? No excuses for not knowing the reqs!

chuckie - 5-15-2014 at 05:38 PM

I actually havnt seen a lot of moose or elk in Baja...And Durell? What happened to minding your own business? Power Trip?

When the Doc Plays Dumb..........................

MrBillM - 5-15-2014 at 05:39 PM

It's NOT an act.

EnsenadaDr - 5-15-2014 at 05:57 PM

You know, a friend of mine had a friend who ate bacon everyday. he just loved bacon. When he died from a massive heart attack at age 45 no one was surprised.

Bill brags about going to AM/PM for 2 for 1 hot dogs for breakfast, wienerschnitzel for lunch...and Walmart chicken nuggets for dinner. that is not exactly smart, but Mr. Bill calls me stupid. Wonders never cease, denials never end.
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
It's NOT an act.

bajabuddha - 5-15-2014 at 06:17 PM

Quote:
Past few years, I have not found it worthwhile to bring booze back from Mexico. Most things can be purchased from big discount stores cheaper, same brands. And like Buddha, I have taken a vow of abstinence....

Ahh, Chuckie-grasshopper... the mantra was "All things in moderation.... ESPECIALLY MODERATION...."

And AA is for quitters. Live long and prosper, my friend. See you soon allah willing.

bb:cool:

vgabndo - 5-15-2014 at 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:

Last time I was at the Duty Free store at San Ysidro I noticed a guy on his back stuffing cartons of cigarettes into a hidden compartment under his trunk (where the gas tank normally is?). He had 3 cardboard cases, each holding 60 cartons.
He was still stuffing when I left and I alerted Mexican Customs with description of vehicle and plate number. I hope they caught him because 180 cartoons were not for his personal use :fire:

That is no small thing. At the average California price I just looked-up, that was more than $3,800.00 worth of cancer sticks off the streets. The guy must have thought he was bullet proof doing that in a parking lot in front of everyone.:?:

Hot Dog

MrBillM - 5-15-2014 at 07:53 PM

Today.

At the AM-PM, of course.

But, I only eat All-Beef.

Also ate some Fritos.

A normal Breakfast. Well, Brunch.

Although, I DID eat Bacon Sunday at the Golden Corral in Havasu City.

Quite a bit, in fact.

Love those Buffets.

No Hot Dogs, though.

Took the wife out for Dinner Saturday night and, after decisions, decisions..........we ate at a Steakhouse in the AAA guide. No Sizzler in town.

After which, of course, driving back to the Hotel, we passed a Wienerschnitzel, prompting me to say "You Lucked out there, Babe".

It should be pointed out that there's no danger of a Coronary at age 45. THAT is a LONG ways in the rearview mirror.

As to health, I'm carrying far far less excess poundage than the Doc, so Quien Sabe ?

And, I don't recall using the word STUPID referring to the Doc, BUT ................... Well..............You Know.

Meanwhile, on the subject of Meaty crossings, a number of years back I had a package of All-Beef Franks from which I'd opened and used two.

The agent took them away.

"BUT", I protested "They're All-Beef."

And, he replied "IF the package had still been sealed, I would have allowed them."

I resisted the temptation to ask if he'd thought I was trying to smuggle (6) Non-Kosher Dogs in the package.

Those guys lack a sense of humor.

[Edited on 5-16-2014 by MrBillM]

Cliffy - 5-17-2014 at 08:58 AM

4 decades ago I came back and declared 1 6 pack of Pacifico, went to Secondary and they had me dump it in the sink.
Came through a couple of weeks ago and had a my trailer attached, went to secondary (knew that was coming from reading here), they asked about potatoes (none), I told them I had 2 tomatoes and two frozen steaks, nothing more. They said the tomatoes and steaks were OK.
They asked about eggs, had none. Again did my homework by reading here on BN.
No porblemos in Secondary.
Actually I'm waiting for a phone call fro the son of the Inspector who wants to be a pilot. When the Inspector asked me about my profession I said I was a retired pilot. The inspector asked if the son could call me and talk about how to do it. Of course I said "SURE" and gave my number.
Now if you pay real good attention to how they ask questions and what they ask you will see good interview technique. Where are you from, where have you been, what's the weather like in your home town? You think they don't already know the answers? HUH! How easily you answer these simple questions about something you should know goes a long way in how you're inspection is going to go.
I was asked the elevation of my home town! And how the weather there compared to Flagstaff AZ.
Very interesting if you pay attention.

J.P. - 5-17-2014 at 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:

That is no small thing. At the average California price I just looked-up, that was more than $3,800.00 worth of cancer sticks off the streets. The guy must have thought he was bullet proof doing that in a parking lot in front of everyone.:?:

When I lived in Houston my friend had just returned from a trip to Nuevo Laredo where him and his family had spent the better part of a weekend carrying Cigarettes 2 cartons at a time and stashing them in his car. He was very proud of his stash. I saw him later and he was bemoaning the fact they were full of Worms. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

durrelllrobert - 5-17-2014 at 10:17 AM

Quote:
I actually havnt seen a lot of moose or elk in Baja...And Durell? What happened to minding your own business? Power Trip?

I was responding to motoged's post about bringing dog food into the US from Canada. Apparently you can't bring dog food but you can bring Moose, Elk and deer meat.