BajaNomad

5/16 ? fire behind Mulege?

Russ - 5-16-2014 at 03:50 PM

Big fire/smoke behind every one here is making guesses. Anyone now the facts?
It happened about 2 hours ago but the smoke blocked my shot at the satellite I use.

[Edited on 5-16-2014 by Russ]

Fire in Mulege pueblo

Mulegena - 5-16-2014 at 03:54 PM

Fire in the palm trees, north side of river (town-side) running east of the highway crossing west.
No personal injuries reported. Homes evacuated.
Damn!

mtnpop - 5-16-2014 at 04:01 PM

I just received some pics from a resident/friend in the Orchard looking toward the bridge...
One hellavu nasty looking fire... from about LaFortuna and under the bridge up ice house road from what he tells me...
Started west of Fortuna across from Saul's grocery... but not in the fortuna park that we know...
will update as we get anymore info...

mtnpop - 5-16-2014 at 04:16 PM

looking at the pictures,,, I would guess that Mex 1 is closed both directions as the fire looked to go under the bridge and the smoke is a huge dense cloud.
We have been unable to contact friends in LaFortuna at this writing..
pics look like it went right down the north side of the river
A palm fire in SanIgnacio and now one in Mulege in just a few days time... Tryin not to think what I'm thinkin... Lets just think its a coincidence...

Cliffy - 5-16-2014 at 04:19 PM

Damn we were just there. Met some nice folks there. Hope everyone gets out OK

Bob and Susan - 5-16-2014 at 04:20 PM

picture from the summit

f1.jpg - 35kB

mtnpop - 5-16-2014 at 04:24 PM

Russ,
if I fwd one of the pics from in town can you post it... I don't think I can do from picassa....
thanks

Pompano - 5-16-2014 at 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtnpop

Started west of Fortuna across from Saul's grocery... but not in the fortuna park that we know...
will update as we get anymore info...

I recall one starting in that same area about 1998. Got some old photos of it. Did some damage then, too, but no injuries.

It's the season for Fires...... everywhere it seems. Be careful out there, all.

mtnpop - 5-16-2014 at 05:42 PM

98' may have been when Saucedo had built and sold some really nice tree houses west of the bridge... someone trimming and cleaning started it from hearsay but a drifter got the blame... the tree houses were toast...
also a smaller palm fire about 4 years ago behind the new malecon construction....

bigmike58 - 5-16-2014 at 05:46 PM

if the pic works, it is from Kevin at the Orchard

[Edited on 5-17-2014 by bigmike58]

DSCN2764_320x240.JPG - 48kB

bigmike58 - 5-16-2014 at 05:51 PM

and another, 50k limit? you gotta be kidding me...

[Edited on 5-17-2014 by bigmike58]

DSCN2759_320x240.JPG - 44kB

BajaBlanca - 5-16-2014 at 05:52 PM

This was on the La Paz Gringo site:

This eyewitness report just came in from a Mulege resident amigo:

"Everything placid until today. We had a terrible fire in Mulege. Started in town on the north side of the river near Saul's Grocery and swept up the river through the palm trees and out past the mission into the valley. Don't think anyone was hurt, but at least one home in the downtown area was destroyed and no one knows about the mission or homes in the valley to the west. Imagine there will be pix on TV Baja Nomad shortly. The highway was closed for a while as the fire crossed over it. The sound of propane tanks exploding was impressive. Also the speed at which it jumped from tree to tree among the palms. Don't think it crossed the highway north of the town entrance, but was burning fiercely in the palms approaching the road."

Udo - 5-16-2014 at 06:35 PM

This is really going to put a nail in the Mulege coffin.

First a bunch of flood, and now a large fire!

willyAirstream - 5-16-2014 at 07:18 PM

The fire spread from just west of la fortunia, out ice house road to the orange rancho, and about 4 km past the misson to the ball field. Rumor...l a s casita lost their roof. At least one house burned, most evacuated, but many injuries.
Wind has stopped and fire has stopped. Water trucks from pemex, the bolero, conception bay etc. Were called in. Military, miners and volunteers assisted evacuation. Fire was only 10 feet from town buildings, luckily. If one of the buildings behind hotel hacienda caught fire it would have spread thru town.
Fire followed the rio fueled by dead palms, very rapidly.
Roads are now open, people have returned to their homes and life is getting back to normal. This was a very close call. Videos on youtube by many. Mulege is scared again, but it could have been much worse.

willyAirstream - 5-16-2014 at 08:24 PM

https://www.facebook.com/archy.vitalc

[Edited on 5-17-2014 by willyAirstream]

adding another, photos by friends

cocoscabana - 5-16-2014 at 08:54 PM

A friend posted these on Facebook

watizname - 5-16-2014 at 10:04 PM

Thanks for the good news Willy

elgatoloco - 5-17-2014 at 06:21 AM

Scary stuff! :no:

blackwolfmt - 5-17-2014 at 07:56 AM

No doubt scary stuff, where did it start in someones casa??

bajario - 5-17-2014 at 08:53 AM

Do those palms usually survive a fire like this?

EngineerMike - 5-17-2014 at 10:06 AM

Where the fire got hot enough to cook the vertical capillaries taking water/nutrients to the fronds the trees will be dead. Where it just scorched the outside but didn't get hot inside, tree will live. Mostly it looks like this fire got plenty hot.
Here is a news story that says 3 houses destroyed:

fire in Mulege news link
Youtube video shot from the Mission, shows maybe a kilometer long stretch on fire:
video from the Mission

[Edited on 5-17-2014 by EngineerMike]

EngineerMike - 5-17-2014 at 11:54 AM

Mulege only has three seasons: Flood, Fire & Fishing. The first two don't come every year, and only last a day or so.
The rest of the time, we clean up, fish & kill a few beers.

blackwolfmt - 5-17-2014 at 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EngineerMike
Mulege only has three seasons: Flood, Fire & Fishing. The first two don't come every year, and only last a day or so.
The rest of the time, we clean up, fish & kill a few beers.

Sounds like a plan, a few more beers.. , Thanks for the links & anybody know how it started

shari - 5-17-2014 at 01:57 PM

Oh no, this is so tragic...Mulegena, I hope your place is safe and all our other Mulege amigos.

EngineerMike - 5-17-2014 at 02:18 PM

Pretty sure no Gringos lost anything in this fire, only aboriginal Muleginos, and not too many of those have direct losses. There is a lower strip of houses along the north river bank and east of the big bridge; those are the families whose stuff & maybe house got singed (between the old Camarena & old paint store location & down to the river, for those familiar).

West of the bridge, folks in the vado mostly moved out to Nuevo Mulege (south and across the Hwy from the Pemex and adjacent to the new high school) when the govt offered the new houses. Fire burned west of the old & now abandoned high school at least to the dirt soccer field from descriptions I've heard.

Looks like the conduit for the fire was the lush growth of bamboo along the river that came up w/a vengeance after the last 2 floods. So thick rats would have a tough time getting thru. I'm going to speak to the Delegado about the maintenance folks keeping that down in lieu of sweeping streets by hand. We're heading down late July for annual uniform buying trip for the Scholarship Program, so won't be in town before that. If somebody else sees him, maybe pass along the suggestion. There's strength in numbers.

willyAirstream - 5-17-2014 at 02:19 PM

Lisa was up hill aways from the fire. It started in a vacant lot source unknown. Palm trunks PoP when hot, propane tanks kaBooM when hot, many pops, not so many kabooms. It moved so rapidly, maybe the palms will survive? I was t Jorge Yees when it started and with in 30 minutes it was at the bridge, and the flames were above the bridge. The fire dept and many volunteers protected the town buildings, thankfully. Everyone is relieved that the town was spared. It scorched the backside of buildings from La Casita to th e bridge.
All is back to normal today i will post pics later tonight of the ` day after`.

On edit... rumors not confirmed... one gringa residence destroyed, 3 Mexican residence destroyed. People still living in the palm area were evacuated. Dead palm branches were the major fuel as well as reeds, similar to bambo.
The pictures make it look much worse than the actual damage. Many people were treated for injuries, but these were mostly minor. This was not a disaster, but it could have been. Mulege is strong and thankful that it was not destroyed.

tiotomasbcs - 5-17-2014 at 02:41 PM

I'm so thankful that the Town/homes in downtown Mulege did not catch fire! Has that ever happened? We have fires in our palm groves almost every year here in Todos Santos area. Not a good area to live in. Oh yeah, I've got a Palapa palm roof!? Good luck to everyone. Tio

Mulegena - 5-17-2014 at 04:26 PM

The air was filled with acrid smoke last night throughout the whole of town, suffocating the pueblo central by the river- the area of the fire, where the bomberos stayed throughout the night to manage the still-smouldering stumps of palm.

Like the plague that beset Egypt, the smoke crawled down-river out the mouth where it meets the Sea of Cortez. Heavy and insidious, it obscured the river like a thick impenetrable layer of fog; the silver shimmer of the still-full moon was hidden from view. The whole of the town, even we on the hill at the mouth of the river, took to its slumber with difficulty due to the psychic shock of what took place yesterday, the terror in the moment and the horror at the thoughts of what could have been tragedy beyond measure had the fire strayed far from the river's edges. Our noses and lungs discomforted by the heavy lingering smoke, we succumbed to the greater need of rest.

We awakened to a blue sky this morning, but with a heaviness of spirit that comes with the knowledge that a change has come, unwelcome of course, but with the outlook of recovery set squarely.

The palms are not indigenous to here, were planted by the Friars who established the mission system, I believe. They found fresh water here in Mulege, a genuine oasis in the desert, and it was a hospitable place to bring these palms. Most of the orchards should recover and the charm and green, exotic beauty that is Mulege will endure.

Today, the town is still subdued but life is continuing normally. The American lady who, with her dogs, fled her home is safe and cared for by friends. I'm unable to report or confirm the loss of any locals' houses. Las Casitas Hotel and Restaurant did not lose its roof and is open. The fire never left the palm orchards; it did not come into town.

Yes, Engineer Mike, I've observed the indigenous carisso bamboo chocking the river's edge for years. It, along with the undergrowth in the palm forests should be managed. Many of the palms are still standing and may recover. Everyone in Mulege should regularly clean the "beards" off their palm trees.

Today there are a few contingent teams of bomberos in the palm orchards west of town. They are there now with pick and shovel and rake to further manage the clean-up. Beautiful job, Bomberos, thank you!

The people here in Mulege are resilient, a fact that's been proven by the many assaults of nature through the years and how everyone musters on; the very weather and dessert terrain here tests that on a daily basis. As I've said before Baja ain't for the faint of heart.

The Mexicans who call the peninsula home recognize that fact and refer to themselves as "Cholleros/People of the Cactus".

There's been no one in Mulege, I believe, who has not been touched by this tragedy, but we'll recover from this as we have from the floods. Why? We've no other option.

Mulege is definitely not beat, folks-- not by a long, long ways.

Paula - 5-17-2014 at 06:39 PM

Mulegena, thank you for saying what needed to be said about this fire. Looking at the pictures, one must see that it was a frightening, emotional event for those in and near the path. Had the wind kicked up it could have been tragic. Loss of four homes and bodily injury to some folks is serious stuff, but it is good that it wasn't worse than it was. A loss of security and innocence has to follow an event like this. It is an invasoin to home, not easily cast off. My thoughts are with all Mulegenos today, I hope your sweet town recovers well.

shari - 5-17-2014 at 06:41 PM

thank you for your thoughtful report Maria and others...very very interesting comment about the palms not being indigenous that has made me ponder the idea. Palms are beautiful but perhaps not prudent in this climate. Pruning sounds wise as well with the carrizo to avoid future disaster.

I am glad you are all unscathed and once again Mulege will rise!

willyAirstream - 5-17-2014 at 08:06 PM

photo by Raffita

Palms

J.P. - 5-17-2014 at 08:36 PM

I have always heard those palms are protected by the Mexican Government and it's a very serious offence if they are messed with or altered in any way.

chuckie - 5-18-2014 at 04:40 AM

Don't think so....

Pescador - 5-18-2014 at 08:39 AM

Not necessarily protected, but who is going to foot the bill to prune and take care of thousands of trees?

blackwolfmt - 5-18-2014 at 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Not necessarily protected, but who is going to foot the bill to prune and take care of thousands of trees?

Hey that is just the kind of volunteer work I will be lookin for when I get down there, I run a landscaping tree service up here and when my casa sells I am Baja bound, maybe I can find a safe place to store some tools down there. that is if there is no law against tree maintenance, I will work for cold cerveza's and shrimps also:lol:

durrelllrobert - 5-18-2014 at 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador

Mother nature?

J.P. - 5-18-2014 at 10:21 AM

Maybee , several years ago I was interested in a lot along the south side of the river and was told it was unbuildable because you couldn't cut any of the palms that would interfere with your plan.

jojomammoth - 5-18-2014 at 12:12 PM

:(......this is so sad......Russ....hope it is contained and everyone is safe and all the animals too.....

Another fire

Mulegena - 5-18-2014 at 01:01 PM

DAMMITTT

It's flamed up again.
http://www.radarpolitico.com.mx/2014/05/18/nuevamente-se-reg...

mtnpop - 5-18-2014 at 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
DAMMITTT

It's flamed up again.
http://www.radarpolitico.com.mx/2014/05/18/nuevamente-tse-re...

Lisa Marie,
Is this one further up canyon toward Ray's or where,,, The pic is hard to tell..
What a rotten deal this year... Pray for no major water events this summer....

mtnpop - 5-18-2014 at 01:35 PM

kinda like livin in Colorado the last couple of years.... fire and floods...

only difference is that the taxpayer gets to help out up here... locals and gringo's are pretty much on our own down there...
Gotta say,, still love the place even with all mother nature has thrown at us..

wonder if this got to the city water wells??? would be a big problem

Mulegena - 5-18-2014 at 04:22 PM

A flare-up out west of town in Colonia El Rebaje.
It's under control now. No details.
Lucky. Big wind today.

edited to add: at just-dark tonight we climbed up the lookout at the Mission. A couple of small flames could be seen in the dark, one small single flame near the road approaching the mission; the other in the deep palm forest which was attended by police and bomberos, who will remain throughout the night, I imagine.

[Edited on 5-19-2014 by Mulegena]

cocoscabana - 5-19-2014 at 07:07 PM

View of the damaged Mulege oasis from the Mission overlook

liknbaja127 - 5-19-2014 at 07:53 PM

we were through there on Saturday morning about 6:00 AM. Looked like a bomb, went off! Just so sad. :no:

Bob H - 5-19-2014 at 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cocoscabana
View of the damaged Mulege oasis from the Mission overlook

WOW! How sad indeed...

community volunteer clean up this weekend

Mulegena - 5-20-2014 at 07:56 AM

Clean-up will begin around the bridge-area in downtown Mulege
beginning this Friday afternoon, May 24.

Friday afternoon beginning at 4 pm, Saturday 9 to 4 & Sunday morning 10 until we're tired.

Please wear gloves, bring rakes, shovels, buckets, old rope... food and drink to share...

Both water purification plants are going to provide water gratis; just bring a container.

[Edited on 5-20-2014 by Mulegena]

mtnpop - 5-20-2014 at 08:56 PM

Wish we could be there with our friends and neighbors this weekend to help with the cleanup.... our thoughts and prayers go out to all that are there..

Our summer here in Colorado will be mostly fire mitigation also... with the occasional visit with the new granddaughter....

You all please be safe .....