BajaNomad

Welcome surprise crossing at Tecate

John M - 5-19-2014 at 03:28 PM

Last Thursday (May 15) we decided to use the Tecate crossing northbound and took the toll road west from Mexicali, Highway 5, on our return from San Felipe.

We enjoyed the plaza in Tecate for awhile, then headed for the border at about 3:30 p.m. For those familiar with the border road, we climbed the small hill along the fence, expecting to top out and soon be stopped in traffic. Instead we got closer and closer to the crossing, drove right up to the fence, then proceeded immediately to the open booth. We had a nice conversation with the agent, maybe 5 minutes worth, he then sent us on our way.

Never in 40 years of crossing do we remember absolutely no line to wait in. The agent said that mid-afternoons on Wednesday and Thursday are usually great for not waiting in line for long. He sure was right!

John M

BajaBlanca - 5-19-2014 at 03:29 PM

you sure are a good soul to tell everyone about this !

durrelllrobert - 5-19-2014 at 03:47 PM

When you are in the long line up there you not only have to worry about the long crossing time you also have to aware of the damn motorcycle cop coming up next to you and pulling you out of line to write you a ticket for not wearing your seat belt :fire:

DENNIS - 5-19-2014 at 04:15 PM

One pre 9-11 day, I drove up to the booth and there wasn't even an inspector there. I had to sit and wait a couple of minutes before she came scurrying out of the office.
It was a different world then.

Cliffy - 5-19-2014 at 06:40 PM

I had 7 cars ahead of me when I went NB through Tecate last week at 7:30 PM.

redhilltown - 5-19-2014 at 11:56 PM

LIES LIES LIES!!! Crossing at Tecate is sheer hell! :spingrin::spingrin::spingrin::spingrin::spingrin::spingrin:

mulegejim - 5-20-2014 at 05:22 AM

This site might be of use to some.

http://traffic.calit2.net/border/border-wait-times.php?type=...