BajaNomad

San Ignacio Fire

Bajame - 5-20-2014 at 10:05 AM

San Ignacio had one of the worst fires in it's history yesterday . It surrounded the plaza and Mission burning homes and destroying acres of palms . The firefighters were coming in from all over to help as were the locals . It will be a long time before these palms return . Thank God it wasn't worse !

MexicoTed - 5-20-2014 at 12:27 PM

Wow, hate to hear this about such a beautiful place. I hope everyone is OK. Any photos?

Paula - 5-20-2014 at 01:54 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this! San Ignacio is such a magical place, I hate to imagine any changes there.

My first thought was to hope you and Juanita and Tony are all okay, but really just sending good wishes for everyone.

Phil C - 5-20-2014 at 01:55 PM

Any word from Gary and Terri?

rufflife - 5-20-2014 at 02:58 PM

I heard the fire just missed them. They got extremely lucky. My thoughts to those who were not so fortunate.

shari - 5-20-2014 at 03:02 PM

very sad for all the damages to San Ignacio...reports are coming in now here as most villagers have family there...many losses. How did Juanita fare?

rufflife - 5-20-2014 at 03:11 PM

I have not yet heard anything about Juanita.

Mario and his two casas?

John M - 5-20-2014 at 03:31 PM

Seva - did the two casas operated by Mario survive? We had such a magical time there recently.

John and Barbara M

shari - 5-20-2014 at 03:38 PM

how did the new place La Huerta fare? Glad to hear Gary & Teri dodged the bullet.

rufflife - 5-20-2014 at 03:56 PM

La Huerta was just missed by the last fire... No word (yet) regarding this fire. I am hoping the previous fire burned enough to keep La Huerta safe.

Bajame - 5-22-2014 at 09:24 PM

The fire surrounded La Huerta again and jump to Hector's place and burned two place's next to his . The cute place next door with the animal sculptures was surrounded too but is in good shape , many Palms are gone and 3 casa"s next to the the store as you are coming into town are gone , they are on your right as you coming into town . Juanita was fighting the fire from her roof , the palms in her yard caught fire but firemen were able to get to it in time . They did a great job as it could of been a lot worse . Sorry , don't know how to post pic's . Teri and Gary had fire on both sides of them but were so lucky not to have any damage . Amen .

A DESERT JEWEL !!!!

captkw - 5-22-2014 at 09:27 PM

shari - 5-23-2014 at 08:56 AM

thanks for the update Bajame...Amen is right!

BajaBlanca - 5-23-2014 at 09:03 AM

Thanks for the update! So sorry to hear of homes burning.

Mulegena - 5-23-2014 at 09:05 AM

Baja Sur's representative Deputy Edith Aguilar Villavicencio has petitioned the state government to declare a disaster zone and offer assistance to residents in reclamation of the area's natural beauty.

This is in assistance of both San Ignacio and the town of Mulege due to the fires.

Paula - 5-23-2014 at 12:48 PM

I've been watching for this news, Seva. Thank you so much for the update!
So glad everyone is okay, sad for the property losses, but so good no one was hurt.