BajaNomad

TOLL ROAD-ENSENADA-TIJUANA

lizard lips - 5-21-2014 at 07:50 AM

There have been many robberies and assaults on the toll road as well as the free road recently. Some of these assaults-robberies were those who have pulled over to the side of the road for reasons unknown.

If you are traveling on this particular highway (scenic highway) do not stop or pull over to the side of the road. Gas up prior to traveling. I also suggest you travel close to another vehicle in a caravan and PLEASE-DO NOT TRAVEL ON THIS HIGHWAY AT NIGHT FOR ANY REASON….

Apparently these robberies have taken place from Rosarito to Puerto Nuevo but it could happen anywhere so be careful and aware of your surroundings.

My contact with the Federal de Caminos (Mexican Highway Patrol) has told me that they will step up patrols on the toll road as well as the free road from La Mission to Ensenada.

DENNIS - 5-21-2014 at 07:53 AM

Didn't we go through the same thing about five years ago?

lizard lips - 5-21-2014 at 08:00 AM

Your right Dennis-If memory serves me right it got pretty bad. There was also those little a ssholes throwing rocks at cars but that stopped.

I go up to SD about once every other week and had in the past pulled over to help folks who looked like they were having car problems but thats out the window now. Whenever I fly into TJ at night I always cross the border and spend the night in Chula and come back home at sunrise before all the bad guys wake up.

micah202 - 5-21-2014 at 08:55 AM

....sad news :(

DavidE - 5-21-2014 at 09:19 AM

Oh wait. This is "Baja". This cannot happen in "Baja". Got news for you, there have been robberies between La Paz and Constitucion, and Todos Santos and La Paz.

Oh wait. That can't happen either...

lizard lips - 5-21-2014 at 09:42 AM

I read about the bus robberies David. Looks like they need police on-board.

bajalearner - 5-21-2014 at 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

Mmmm. :light: 5 years ago. Isn't that about the sentence for robbery? Maybe someone just got out and needs some money?

deanfootlong - 5-21-2014 at 10:16 AM

well, heres to hoping my car doesnt break down on that road this weekend...

willardguy - 5-21-2014 at 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by deanfootlong
well, heres to hoping my car doesnt break down on that road this weekend...
cars zooming by, folks looking straight ahead, with baja nomad bumper stickers!

DENNIS - 5-21-2014 at 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalearner
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

Mmmm. :light: 5 years ago. Isn't that about the sentence for robbery? Maybe someone just got out and needs some money?

Well...maybe, but scum is born every day, so who knows?

sancho - 5-21-2014 at 10:40 AM

I do get a kick out of the posts about the relative safety
in Baja, especially the 'I feel safer in Baja than the US',
or 'the most dangerous part of driving to Baja is going
thru LA', total BS. Mex has always been a place to pay close
attention and not put yourself in a vunerable position if
possible

DavidE - 5-21-2014 at 10:59 AM

One look at my car, my clothes, and possessions and a robber couldn't get away fast enough.

RE: Bus robberies. Constantly in Chiapas. One day the indians got tired of getting robbed after being paid in cash at the finca while going home on the 2nd class bus. So they charged the automatic weapons toting scum with machetes. Four indians died, eight more were wounded and five robbers were literally hacked to pieces. Their heads neatly placed atop the robberburgers. Made the papers (including photos). No more bus robberies.

Bajaboy - 5-21-2014 at 11:58 AM

maybe we should follow the suggestions of the NRA and demand that everyone is armed like a marine to be safe....

DENNIS - 5-21-2014 at 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
maybe we should follow the suggestions of the NRA and demand that everyone is armed like a marine to be safe....

There's at least one Marine that would agree with you, Zac.

noserider - 5-21-2014 at 04:31 PM

unfortunately deportees and other adequately financed "successful business people" have decided it is nice place to live and close enough to the action to decide to live there, and when they need a little extra coin, We drive by like ATM machines .

David K - 5-21-2014 at 05:25 PM

Quote:

Never heard an NRA 'demand' other than the government follow the constitution (instead of doing whatever they feel like)?

I realize in your thinking is the citizen must remain weak to a 'superior' government official (as well as all the criminals who have no problem avoiding gun laws and staying armed)...

But those of us who grew up after World War II and before the Jimmy Carter era of a weak America being somehow more noble and fair, would prefer that the law of America (The Constitution) be followed.

Bajaboy - 5-21-2014 at 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

Never heard an NRA 'demand' other than the government follow the constitution (instead of doing whatever they feel like)?

I realize in your thinking is the citizen must remain weak to a 'superior' government official (as well as all the criminals who have no problem avoiding gun laws and staying armed)...

But those of us who grew up after World War II and before the Jimmy Carter era of a weak America being somehow more noble and fair, would prefer that the law of America (The Constitution) be followed.

And I realize your thinking is flawed:barf:.

David K - 5-21-2014 at 05:45 PM

Can you point out what is flawed? Is the Constitution no longer the law and whatever the master in the White House wishes the only thing we can do?

You made the comment about the NRA, a noble organization that promotes education and safe gun use for the entire family. You prefer ignorance about firearms and just let criminals and tyrants run amok in the country? :?:

Bajaboy - 5-21-2014 at 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
Anyway, back to the story-line......
It definitely comes in cycles on that stretch of road.
It did get pretty bad around 2006-7.... my buddy and his family were traveling north, trailering their off-road toys and were pinned by the car in front and back situation.
He rammed them and a high speed chase ensued with him, ultimately, getting shot through the top of the thigh after the bullet passed through his door.
Multiple shots were fired.... he drove to Mercy hospital in Hillcrest and I stowed his gear at my house for a few months.

Even walking home tonight on the periphery of my town I keep my eyes wide open.... Mexico certainly ain't the USA and it should not be mistaken for even being remotely the same in that regard.

I've had a gun pulled on me and my family and waved in our faces by a drugged up Marina, had my truck stolen and been threatened once or twice.... chiiite happens and you are often all on your own with it.

Still a beautiful place to be, though.

I could give a chiite about what the NRA says, facetiously or not, since none of it applies south of the border.

I am sure I will hear it for this, having already been called a liar by some for some other life experience posts but, whatever.

So just how did that conversation with the customs agent and your buddy go down...you know with a bullet in his leg and all.....:?:

sancho - 5-22-2014 at 10:18 AM

Quote:
Is the Constitution no longer the law and whatever the master in the White House wishes the only thing we can do?

Your comments are often not appropriate for this site.
You should get your own site. I've noticed you have 1-2
BN yes men, who trip over themsleves to agree with
everything you say, so you have an audience of at least
1. Your extreme right tirades, disjointed posts are very boring to the vast number of us. This site is for Baja, this
particular section is General Discussion, the guidelines
apply to you also. The OP has a legit post, this does not
give you the right/ a green lite to pollute the thread. Respect
is required

[Edited on 5-22-2014 by sancho]

apple - 5-22-2014 at 11:08 AM

The toll road from Rosarito to Ensenada hasn't been reopened, has it?
I think we might be headed down for a quick trip this weekend.

willardguy - 5-22-2014 at 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
Quote:
Is the Constitution no longer the law and whatever the master in the White House wishes the only thing we can do?

You should get your own site, where you can rant in your
delusional/disconnected manner, very boring. This site is for Baja, this
apply to you also

he does have his own website and if you notice he doesn't FOUL IT UP with this ridiculous horsechit! we must be special eh? :rolleyes:

SFandH - 5-22-2014 at 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by apple
The toll road from Rosarito to Ensenada hasn't been reopened, has it?
I think we might be headed down for a quick trip this weekend.

It wasn't last week. Just drive as though it is open and if it's not take the detour. It's and easy drive.

motoged - 5-22-2014 at 01:10 PM

Quote:
A few years ago I promised DK by U2U that I would refrain from sniping at his political rants.....and have done a fairly good job of honouring my promise.....but it is SO tempting. :lol:

His victim stance of illogic is sad to see.... :(:(

The "black and white" stance he takes is so inflexible, biased, ill-informed, and distorted when it comes to politics.

His historical and cartographic contributions are appreciated by most here....

Just sayin' ...

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy

You should get your own site, where you can rant in your
delusional/disconnected manner, very boring. This site is for Baja, this
apply to you also

he does have his own website and if you notice he doesn't FOUL IT UP with this ridiculous horsechit! we must be special eh? :rolleyes: