BajaNomad

My trip to S. Dakota to establish residence.

bajalearner - 5-22-2014 at 08:38 AM

After gathering as much information as possible including; Bajanomad, calling the county offices for veh. Reg., DL office and my PMB (pers mail box) provider I went to Rapid City, Pennington county, SD with documentation and got most of my business done in a few hours.

Tuesday of last week, I flew to Rapid City, rented a car at the airport, spent the night in a guest room at my PMB facility (they have 2 guest rooms and 12 RV spaces) and set out Wednesday morning to accomplish 3 things. First on my list was to get a DL at the DMV (public safety office, outskirts of town). At DMV, I signed a affidavit of nomad or transient lifestyle). 2 was to get registered to vote at the county admin building-easy and quick. And (3) to register 4 motorcycles, a utility trailer, a motor home, and a car.

Had some small glitches;

at the DMV,( I obtained a commercial class B license with passenger endorsement and motorcycle endorsements) with no problems but I realized my medical (for commercial lic.) would expire in 4 days. That afternoon, I located an urgent care and completed the exam in 1 hour and returned the form to DMV where I waited 20 mins, turned the form in to the clerk who faxed it immediately somewhere in SD (normal routine) and said “all is updated”.

Other glitches;

At the county office, I couldn’t register my utility trailer because it required a weigh slip. A fact I didn’t uncover in my research. Not a big problem, I will weigh it and mail the weigh slip and title as soon as I take the trailer from Tijuana to San Diego to a certified scale. I did have a weigh slip for my motor home.

I couldn’t register my car because I didn’t obtain the title from my credit union. I am getting the title from my CU, I will mail it to the county reg. office and receive the plates in the mail.
Otherwise, I got everything done and even drove around the black hills a little in the afternoon. Drove past Mt. Rushmore and saw 2 white mountain goats eating grass in front of the parking lot. I was surprised I was able to see the monument without having to pay the government to get close enough.
Got on a plane Thursday morning.

Good things;

I spent the night at my PMB address which enabled the DMV to use that address as my residence address. The PMB office was closed but they left my key and room receipt in the mailbox out front : ) The DMV clerk asked for a receipt for my PMB and a receipt for my night’s stay. Both had the same address. I was told by my PMB person that makes things easier.

Very short wait times for everything.

About $15 per veh for registration.
DL was $25, took 40 mins and I left with the new DL.
I met 2 other couples along the way who were there from out of state to do the same thing. The gov. offices were well aware and experienced to complete my nomad requests.

I anticipate questions why I would not continue to support California taxes and will answer any questions.

Udo - 5-22-2014 at 09:30 AM

Hola, Learner!

You should have have America's Mailbox handle all your vehicle registration work for you...all you do is sign a power of attorney for them to handle the vehicle work at Pennington County Tax Collector's Office.

I went through the same thing in September of last year for my DL, My vehicles have been registered there for 4 years now, and my US bank is in Sioux Falls, SD, which I use as my permanent account (and only one, except for my 401K which is with USAA).

woody with a view - 5-22-2014 at 04:23 PM

okay, why don't you continue to be bent over (and like it!) by Kalifornia?

NOW Thats Downright...FUNNY

captkw - 5-22-2014 at 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
...LOL..WOODY You ROCK !!!

bajalearner - 5-22-2014 at 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Hola, Learner!

You should have have America's Mailbox handle all your vehicle registration work for you...all you do is sign a power of attorney for them to handle the vehicle work at Pennington County Tax Collector's Office.

Yes, I considered that but they charge $30 per veh so I saved $30 x 7 is $210. I was going to be there anyway and I wanted to see the process.

[Edited on 5-23-2014 by bajalearner]

bajalearner - 5-22-2014 at 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view

Why don't I want to claim citizenship in CA any longer?

1. I live in Tijuana.
2. I no longer pay 400 some dollars a month that was deducted from my retirement for CA income tax.
3. Veh. reg. is about $15 in SD.
4. I don't need to smog my cars.
5. SD is the 2nd cheapest state for veh. insurance (so I read somewhere).
6. I don't like all the overlapping laws, fees, rules and taxes in CA.
7. Did I mention I don't live in CA?
8. I don't own property in CA.
9. It is legal for me change to a resident of SD.
10. I liked what I saw in SD the short time I was there. I will look into hunting there as a resident.

The biggest drawback for me was giving up Kaiser health care. I now use a PPO but I have done that before.

Royosbaja - 5-23-2014 at 06:40 AM

Congrats on your escape.

I am starting to look at options for when I retire and am curious why SD was your choice. We are currently leaning towards AZ, Flagstaff, Payson, Prescott.... AZ seems to be a little "nicer" in the tax department.

As a born and bred CA native, I do not think I will ever actually live anywhere else for extended periods of time, BUT my residence of record is another issue.

Congrats again.

Udo - 5-23-2014 at 06:50 AM

Their prices went up a bit. 4 years ago it was $15.00 per vehicle.

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalearner
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Hola, Learner!

Yes, I considered that but they charge $30 per veh so I saved $30 x 7 is $210. I was going to be there anyway and I wanted to see the process.

Udo - 5-23-2014 at 06:55 AM

To answer your tax question, SD is only one of two states that don't charge state income taxes, either from employment or Social Security, or 401K.
I am not sure about vehicle reg fees, however, but when I wanted to register the motorhome in California, the state wanted over $6,000 a year. The $430 a year for registration was a no-brainer.

Quote:
Originally posted by Royosbaja
Congrats on your escape.

I am starting to look at options for when I retire and am curious why SD was your choice. We are currently leaning towards AZ, Flagstaff, Payson, Prescott.... AZ seems to be a little "nicer" in the tax department.

As a born and bred CA native, I do not think I will ever actually live anywhere else for extended periods of time, BUT my residence of record is another issue.

Congrats again.

rts551 - 5-23-2014 at 07:27 AM

So does Kalifornia hastle South Dakota (semi) residents who also own (and live in) property in Kalifornia?

Mulegena - 5-23-2014 at 07:44 AM

Question:
How does having legal residence in South Dakota affect Medicare and/or private/supplemental health insurance; i.e. must you establish with a doctor in that state?

dwedeking - 5-23-2014 at 08:00 AM

Quote:
Congrats on your escape.

Congrats again.

Having moved out of CA and talked to a lot of relocatee's in my travels, I've found there is a definite "ah ha" moment when you realize that the better weather and nice beaches aren't worth the taxes, fees, fines, registrations, regulatory bs, etc etc.

I was in shock when I moved to Hawai'i and the registration form for a local bbq contest was one sheet. The rules consisted of rules for cooking and one rule that stated "do what the fire marshall tells you". No triplicate copies needed, no insurance, no release, no permit, no health inspections etc, etc.

There is a syndrome I call "California-itis". I did some clearing of a property (just some landscape waste nothing major) and in talking to some neighbors I was going to haul it off. They were all "just throw it in the jungle off the back of the property, it will be gone in 6 months" and just looked at me funny when I mentioned I was worried about "what the neighbors would think". Had to adjust to the fact that for the most part the neighbors aren't busy bodies looking into what everyone is doing.

LancairDriver - 5-23-2014 at 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
To answer your tax question, SD is only one of two states that don't charge state income taxes, either from employment or Social Security, or 401K.
I am not sure about vehicle reg fees, however, but when I wanted to register the motorhome in California, the state wanted over $6,000 a year.u The $430 a year for registration was a no-brainer.

Quote:
Congrats on your escape.

Congrats again.

Actually there are seven states with no personal state income tax.

Alaska
Florida
Nevada
South Dakota
Texas
Washington
Wyoming

bajalearner - 5-23-2014 at 10:05 AM

Quote:
Congrats on your escape.

Congrats again.

As I said in the first sentence, I researched and figure I qualify legally. I would suggest you look at the situation and remember, CA government looks for people avoiding paying anything they figure is theirs. An example; an out of state plate attracts cops eyes, especially CHP who's budget comes from the DMV fund.

If a person's situation qualifies, their are legal allowances to change residences. I hope your situation is of that.

bajalearner - 5-23-2014 at 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
Question:
How does having legal residence in South Dakota affect Medicare and/or private/supplemental health insurance; i.e. must you establish with a doctor in that state?

I don't know. I am 60 and have insurance so I haven't needed to look at it. Maybe someone else knows about that.

bajalearner - 5-23-2014 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Their prices went up a bit. 4 years ago it was $15.00 per vehicle.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Hola, Learner!

I could be wrong. I saw they wanted $15 to figure the tax amount but I thought they wanted another $15 to go to the tax office. $30 total. But I was going there anyway so I did it myself.

bajalearner - 5-23-2014 at 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
So does Kalifornia hastle South Dakota (semi) residents who also own (and live in) property in Kalifornia?

I am not an expert so don't rely on my words.
It depends on weather that person is living in CA or not. That is; if that person does any of the "presumed residency" things. ie CA DL, vote in CA, work in CA, attend or have a dependent attend a CA public school (including college and paying resident fees), ...

I don't know about the particulars of this because I did not need to research it.

bajaguy - 5-23-2014 at 10:30 AM

My Medicare Supplemental Plan F has no geographical limits. That is one reason why I selected it

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
Question:

I don't know. I am 60 and have insurance so I haven't needed to look at it. Maybe someone else knows about that.

bajaguy - 5-23-2014 at 10:32 AM

Quote:
Quote:

It depends on weather that person is living in CA or not. That is; if that person does any of the "presumed residency" things. ie CA DL, vote in CA, work in CA, attend or have a dependent attend a CA public school (including college and paying resident fees), ...

I don't know about the particulars of this because I did not need to research it.

I would think that if the dependent was attending college as a resident before you "moved" and is still attending that college, or any other college in the state, they would still be eligible for in-state tuition........no matter where the $$$ is coming from

[Edited on 5-23-2014 by bajaguy]

Hook - 5-23-2014 at 10:43 AM

Quote:
Congrats on your escape.

Congrats again.

I looked into this a couple years ago, after having already established SD residency and the AZ state income taxes made it unfeasible. Sales tax is also an issue in AZ, if you were actually living there and purchasing things.

Here is a decent article on state income and sales tax rates for 2013. SD is right near the bottom in both categories. AZ is the state with the single highest combined sales tax rates (combo of state, county, city) in the nation. The state averages over 9% in sales taxes.

http://taxfoundation.org/article/state-and-local-sales-tax-r...

Unless you did your research quite some time ago, it would be hard to conclude that AZ is tax friendly. But it might be one of the states with the best combination of living conditions (especially weather) and taxes. Those are pretty nice cities you mentioned BUT Flagstaff can have some significant snows and the Prescott Valley has mushroomed something fierce in the last 15 years.

A lot of people I meet in San Carlos really like the Sierra Vista area in south central AZ. Not too hot in the summer as it is at elevation, but not high enough to get severe winters.

[Edited on 5-23-2014 by Hook]

bajalearner - 5-23-2014 at 11:13 AM

Yes, many things to consider. I looked at NV and WY but SD seems to welcome nomads to claim residency and the economics.

WA has no state income tax and many people who live there cross to Oregon to make larger purchases because OR doesn't have sales tax. A toofer.

LancairDriver - 5-23-2014 at 11:52 AM

Many more Californians are looking at their options. Toyota is moving out of CA for Texas and that will account for 4,000 more job loses just from the Torrance area. Just a drop in the bucket for what is coming. There will be many more following. Hang on, because the tax losses will have to be absorbed by those still left on the ship. CA is fighting a loosing battle trying hard to tax themselves into prosperity.

vgabndo - 5-23-2014 at 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
I am not sure about vehicle reg fees, however, but when I wanted to register the motorhome in California, the state wanted over $6,000 a year. The $430 a year for registration was a no-brainer.

Over $6000.00. Isn't that a bit of an exaggeration. We all pay 2% of value in our California registrations. Your listed sales price is about $183,000.00, or about $3600.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFBaHbf8li4

Cheese and Rice Udo, you can afford to have a hundred and eighty grand tied-up in a spare mansion on wheels and you're griping about paying the registration? Do you park it in the Dakotas and fly there when you want to use it? Isn't your California address your legal home of record? How is this "no brainer" legal? It seems fishy.

rts551 - 5-23-2014 at 12:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Property ownership of a primary or secondary home was what I was thinking about.

mtgoat666 - 5-23-2014 at 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver
Many more Californians are looking at their options. Toyota is moving out of CA for Texas and that will account for 4,000 more job loses just from the Torrance area. Just a drop in the bucket for what is coming. There will be many more following.

would you rather live in TX or CA?
i would not relocate to TX to pinch a penny, would be giving up quality of life to save a penny.
don't focus on pinching pennies at the expense of quality of life. remember, you can't take it with you!

LancairDriver - 5-23-2014 at 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

Over $6000.00. Isn't that a bit of an exaggeration. We all pay 2% of value in our California registrations. Your listed sales price is about $183,000.00, or about $3600.

Cheese and Rice Udo, you can afford to have a hundred and eighty grand tied-up in a spare mansion on wheels and you're griping about paying the registration? Do you park it in the Dakotas and fly there when you want to use it? Isn't your California address your legal home of record? How is this "no brainer" legal? It seems fishy.

Udo's listed price is for a used RV. That rig in the picture would list in the $400,000 area new. Why pay a ridiculously high registration if you don't have to? It is possible to legally own a residence in CA and not have it as your permanent residence. You would then simply pay the property tax. CA property taxes are more in line with reality around the rest of the US.

[Edited on 5-23-2014 by LancairDriver]

dasubergeek - 5-26-2014 at 10:15 PM

I'm pretty sure I saw one of y'all on the 405 in Long Beach the other day... busted-up old truck, Baja stickers, SD plates. Made me smile.

bajalearner - 5-27-2014 at 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dasubergeek
I'm pretty sure I saw one of y'all on the 405 in Long Beach the other day... busted-up old truck, Baja stickers, SD plates. Made me smile.

I'm one of them and wonder many people are registered in SD to take advantage of that state's laws favoring nomads. Thousands or more I think.

It is nice that something on the 405 traffic made you smile geek. I did my time living and working in LA and Org Co. as a CHP guy in that traffic. I must admit it was fun at times, always something weird and crazy popping up. Now I am enjoying exploring Baja and otras partes de MX.

Udo - 5-27-2014 at 07:10 AM

From my information, the California DMV, establishes the registration value from the price when it was new, not the price that I was selling it for.
Also, at the time, the use tax for the RV was 8%, vs. SD at 3%.

Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver
Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

Udo's listed price is for a used RV. That rig in the picture would list in the $400,000 area new. Why pay a ridiculously high registration if you don't have to? It is possible to legally own a residence in CA and not have it as your permanent residence. You would then simply pay the property tax. CA property taxes are more in line with reality around the rest of the US.

[Edited on 5-23-2014 by LancairDriver]

Never a charge if you go to the back side

durrelllrobert - 5-27-2014 at 10:06 AM

Quote:

Drove past Mt. Rushmore and saw 2 white mountain goats eating grass in front of the parking lot. I was surprised I was able to see the monument without having to pay the government to get close enough.
front : )