BajaNomad

sa diego to los barriles

mikeymarlin - 5-22-2014 at 09:57 AM

san Diego -los barriles trip

just returned from may 9 to may 19 trip--- road conditions very good (by past travels )--landslide delay just south of Loreto
-- looong detours (2)-like 4-5 km. long just north of Insurentes
very dusty--oh well---

Stopped in S.Q.--jardines--nice room--GREAT dinner the Nachos Jardines--a meal in itself---
next to San Ignacio--Huerta very nice and very new--dinner
at Rice & Beans--mediocre at best (they had no Pacifico or Corona ???? go figure---

very short drive day to Loreto--Oasis nice but too pricey---
dinner at Sabor! BEST Chili Reanos EVER !!!!!

on to los barriles stayed at Playa Del Sol--- nice room--
Timed our fishing days perfectly--- 2 windy days-- roughest I
EVER remembered--needless to say very slow fishing---of course the wind stopped the day we left to go north--lol

drive north uneventful -- if you are going to Jardines very soon--the highway turn off is under repairs---take the turn-off to the West a little north of the big Jardines sign -- it is actually the turn off for the Old Mill--go west and take FIRST turn to the left--this is the road Jardines is actually on

finally reach TJ--wandered around trying to follow previous Nomad directions-- i'm sure they are correct--however couldn't
see ANY street names--(did I expect to ?? lol--) found Sentre
entrance--- 7 minute wait---how nice!!!

Whale-ista - 5-22-2014 at 10:45 AM

thank you for informative report and heads up on detours, delays, and turn-off to Jardines. (I like Jardines hotel, but may choose Los Olivos RV park next door for next trip.)

How was the temp in Los Barilles? Was it as Hot as it has been in La Paz recently (100+?)

I'll be heading that way in a few weeks, Cabo Pulmo, for camping, snorkeling, possible kayaking. Hoping it will not be too hot to enjoy the beach.

Thanks again!

mikeymarlin - 5-22-2014 at 12:19 PM

hi whale-ista-----no, temp only 88-90---then cool at nite---

p.s.---forgot in my posting we did a detour and spent a nite with Shari at her

La Bufadora motel--- very comfy--- great location--- had dinner in town with her and had fresh halibut----great!!

the road to Bahia asunsion is in GREAT shape---- actually too good of condition --found my self going way to fast do to lack of traffic and visual straight-aways

tiotomasbcs - 5-22-2014 at 06:00 PM

It;s getting way too Caliente, Whaley Man. Blistered white boy skin and lack of shade. You must be ready to adjust/adapt. Cool-rainy in Todos this morning and hot/humid in La Paz. I'm renting in the Lb area early June--contact me for a shade tree space. Smiles. Tio ps good report Mikey. Make it up on the run.

BajaBlanca - 5-22-2014 at 07:03 PM

Really good report! Thanks.

shari - 5-23-2014 at 09:56 AM

It was nice to meet you and your wife and look forward to making some whale magic with you next season.

shari - 5-29-2014 at 07:13 AM

Here is a little souvenir of your visit and the yummy fresh halibut Tomas prepared you. We sure are glad he's open again!

mikeymarlin - 5-29-2014 at 09:30 AM

thanks Sheri--- it was a great stay---see you in early jan. in G.N.:

shari - 5-29-2014 at 09:31 AM

Roger that amigo...cant wait to see those darling newborn whales with you two!