BajaNomad

Amanda!

chuckie - 5-23-2014 at 10:16 AM

1st named storm of the year ,and it aint even June yet.

Ateo - 5-23-2014 at 10:22 AM

I think we're gonna be in for one heck of a storm summer! I don't have any proof, but it sure sounds good!

woody with a view - 5-23-2014 at 11:00 AM

hmmmm.......

Hook - 5-23-2014 at 11:03 AM

Dont hurricane remnants often end up being increased moisture for the drought-striken Western US?

We could use the rains around here.

cocoscabana - 5-23-2014 at 11:03 AM

From eebmike.com

elgatoloco - 5-23-2014 at 03:04 PM

Cool. Getting on plane tomorrow AM for trip to mainland. Will be on the beach north of Ziwat looking for surf. :saint:

chuckie - 5-23-2014 at 03:08 PM

May be some..have fun

elgatoloco - 5-23-2014 at 03:14 PM

My host tells me its 5-6 and building. Air 96. Water 85. woo hoo! Going to be a long week. :cool:

woody with a view - 5-23-2014 at 06:10 PM

don't wait too long or the water will get hotter than the air!

Pto Esco style!

get some Gato!

Skipjack Joe - 5-23-2014 at 06:22 PM

I like the sound of it - Amanda. Maybe she'll be gentle.

chuckie - 5-24-2014 at 05:07 AM

Light of my life" Supposed to be a full grown big girl hurricane yet today.....

woody with a view - 5-24-2014 at 06:59 AM

http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/display.cgi?a=npac_height

looks like some surf is gonna be heading up the gap.....

shari - 5-25-2014 at 07:47 AM

Amanda is giving us nice summer weather here in Asuncion...calmed the wind and raised the air temps and will push warmer water up too. I must say I brushed her off as being one of those pesty little early storms that usually just go west but it seems she is a big girl now.

"Based on the current intensity of the system, Amanda is the second
strongest May hurricane in the eastern Pacific basin on record,
behind Hurricane Adolph in 2001."

chuckie - 5-25-2014 at 08:27 AM

But not nearly as exciting as you are, Shari baby!:yes:

cabobaja - 5-25-2014 at 08:36 AM

She is now 155mph, 190 gusts. Heading for the tip of Baja.w

shari - 5-25-2014 at 08:39 AM

dont make me blush Chuckie....

be safe everyone and dont take Amanda for granted!

El Jefe - 5-25-2014 at 08:44 AM

Amanda is now the strongest May hurricane on record in the eastern
Pacific basin during the satellite era. If Amanda were to reach an
intensity of 140 kt, it would become the earliest category 5
hurricane on record, beating out Hurricane Ava of 1973.

The above from eebmike.com

Amanda is expected to peter out off shore.

Looks like olas grandes for us in the next few days, but probably not the much needed rain. Weather report for the tip calls for clouds and 20% chance of rain. That usually means we won't get nary a drop.

DENNIS - 5-25-2014 at 08:53 AM

http://www.cyclocane.com/hurricane-forecast/

AMANDA Current Status

...AMANDA RAPIDLY STRENGTHENS TO NEAR CATEGORY 5 INTENSITY... ...BECOMES THE STRONGEST HURRICANE DURING THE MONTH OF MAY...

Current Wind Speed 135 knots / 155 MPH

Max Predicted Wind Speed 135 knots / 155 MPH at May 25, 2014 8:00am

DianaT - 5-25-2014 at 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Jefe

Amanda is expected to peter out off shore.....

While some rain would be nice, I sure hope if it is a Cat 5 it does peter out off shore.

Enjoy the surf! :yes:

bajabuddha - 5-25-2014 at 09:06 AM

Dr. Jeff Master's blog on wunderground.com says that she will take a northerly turn, but encounter cooler waters and a strong wind shear that will pretty much take her apart by end of this week, no danger to landfall.

However, Amanda is a direct result of the now-present El Nino that will be in place for the rest of the season, which means warmer than usual and farther north water temps, and probably more frequent and intense tropical activity... if I was a full-timer, i'd get my larder stocked and an evac plan in place. Gonna make for a long, wet summer; and as recent history shows, you can run but you can't hide. I'm not trying to be Chicken Little, but the science is there.... get your ''6 - P's'' in place.

woody with a view - 5-25-2014 at 09:06 AM

my friends just left for a week in cabo. i told him to bring a board, just in case!

Bill Collector - 5-25-2014 at 10:35 AM

Amanda is now the strongest May eastern Pacific hurricane on record with its strength close to that of a Category 5 hurricane.
Amanda's maximum sustained winds increased to near 155 mph and its central pressure dropped to 932 millibars by 11 a.m. PDT Sunday, meaning Amanda is a very powerful Category 4 hurricane.
That makes Amanda the strongest ever recorded hurricane in the eastern Pacific during the month of May.
Adolph from 2001 originally held that distinction

Ateo - 5-25-2014 at 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Collector
Amanda is now the strongest May eastern Pacific hurricane on record with its strength close to that of a Category 5 hurricane.
Amanda's maximum sustained winds increased to near 155 mph and its central pressure dropped to 932 millibars by 11 a.m. PDT Sunday, meaning Amanda is a very powerful Category 4 hurricane.
That makes Amanda the strongest ever recorded hurricane in the eastern Pacific during the month of May.
Adolph from 2001 originally held that distinction

Wow. A record breaker. Currently Cat 4 and in the so cal swell window.

DENNIS - 5-25-2014 at 05:27 PM

Lots of Amanda info:

http://www.cyclocane.com/amanda-storm-tracker/

woody with a view - 5-25-2014 at 05:43 PM

i guess you should all bend over for the climate change alarmists?

:P

chuckie - 5-26-2014 at 04:31 AM

What does that mean?

Russ - 5-26-2014 at 04:51 AM

http://eebmike.com/

woody with a view - 5-26-2014 at 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
What does that mean?

yeah, wasn't very clear huh? i meant that if you keep records long enough you'll eventually get a "biggest, strongest, earliest" storm again and again. does that mean it's global warming or just the odds catching up?

prolly still doesn't make sense.....

Marc - 5-26-2014 at 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Quote:
What does that mean?

yeah, wasn't very clear huh? i meant that if you keep records long enough you'll eventually get a "biggest, strongest, earliest" storm again and again. does that mean it's global warming or just the odds catching up?

prolly still doesn't make sense.....

Global warming...uh sorry I forgot...climate change is good business for Al Gore and his idiot followers on the left.
BTW I remember some years ago it was global cooling that was in fashion.

DENNIS - 5-26-2014 at 08:47 AM

This just in:

DENNIS - 5-26-2014 at 04:13 PM

Downgraded to Cat-3:

chuckie - 5-27-2014 at 05:01 AM

"Amanda still has some gas left in the tank" Comment from forecaster NHC. She seems to have picked some strength, and still has winds 125mph. weakening slower than expected....

Hook - 5-27-2014 at 05:40 AM

Quote:
"Amanda still has some gas left in the tank" Comment from forecaster NHC. She seems to have picked some strength, and still has winds 125mph. weakening slower than expected....

Good. Maybe we will get some moisture out of this. Aquifers need replenishing, especially in Mexico.

I'd be very surprised if this threatened any land. But it's a moisture concentrator, which can be helpful.

Santiago - 5-27-2014 at 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Jefe
Amanda is expected to peter out off shore.

I never really understood that phrase until I turned 60.

DENNIS - 5-27-2014 at 07:19 AM

OhOh....she be pickin' up steam again:

chuckie - 5-27-2014 at 07:35 AM

We knew that!

bajabuddha - 5-27-2014 at 07:39 AM

This is for the idiots that call people idiots for not siding with their dogmas. Amanda doesn't have anything to do with climate change, Al Gore, Faux News, Junior, or your mama's G-string; however, there's an El Nino in place and that means warmer-than-usual water temps farther north than usual, and that is what spawns hurricanes, and keeps them fueled and still travelling. Amanda will weaken because it's still early in the season; hence, the record for 'biggest, earliest so far' because ocean temps are already above normal. It is however, a wake-up call for Baja residents to get their acts in order, it's going to be a long summer. And, there's a possibility of nothing happening at all... but the quasi-political spouting gets soooooo old sooooo quick and shows who the idiots may truly be. Leave the science for the scientists, the religion for the churches, and the politics for the idiots.

For the full-time summer residents i'd suggest having a basic plan in place; things you don't want to get wet, store safely, and things you don't want to lose, have ready to take if you have to. Also, some extra bottled water stored now as well as a week's larder of vittles are easier to buy now rather than 2 days before the storm hits. The 6 'P's: Prior Planning Prevents P*** Poor Performance. Let's all just hope for the best and plan for the worst. After all, a pessimist is just an optimist.... with all the facts.
:light:

Whale-ista - 5-27-2014 at 07:59 AM

And I thought the seven P's for this forum were "Participants: Please provide pertinent, pleasant, productive posts."

Not very perspicacious of me.

DENNIS - 5-27-2014 at 08:08 AM

Quote:
We knew that!

Ohhh well......I don't bother reading any more. The jailed jughead thread left me 85% blind.

Sorry for the repeated redundancy. :lol:

chuckie - 5-27-2014 at 08:15 AM

Lovin it, Dennis...Repeated redundancy? Too much is superfluous. .enough is sufficient....

bajabuddha - 5-27-2014 at 08:58 AM

Quote:
Lovin it, Dennis...Repeated redundancy? Too much is superfluous. .enough is sufficient....

.......and have you ever just been "whelmed" ? :?:

chuckie - 5-27-2014 at 09:09 AM

Just this morning!

chuckie - 5-27-2014 at 02:54 PM

NOW! That made me Waugh out woud...

DENNIS - 5-27-2014 at 02:55 PM

Doncha just love Happy Hour? :lol:

chuckie - 5-27-2014 at 03:04 PM

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::?:

DENNIS - 5-29-2014 at 10:28 AM

Adios Amanda