BajaNomad

We Hope to be worthy new members here!

mannings - 5-23-2014 at 10:48 PM

First post (long time lurker).

So my dad and I used to go to San Felipe when I was a teenager and sleep on the beach with the fishermen around the malecon.

We are from Kentucky but moved to San Diego when I was 16.

I'm 42 now.

My wife and kids have never been to Baja. (we live in St. George, UT since 2005)

My wife ("Kentucky Kim") and I are heading south to stay in the south campos... km 36 or so.. with our 5 kids.

we leave June 1 and are staying for 60 days. We hope to give good reports, post great pics, and make friends here.

redhilltown - 5-23-2014 at 11:26 PM

You sound nice...that already makes you worthy!!! Have fun and please send some pics!

mannings - 5-23-2014 at 11:34 PM

Thanks, red..

My apologies for my first post going into the wrong forum.

bajadogs - 5-24-2014 at 01:47 AM

Welcome Mannings family. 5 kids? They will have a blast.

dtbushpilot - 5-24-2014 at 04:41 AM

Welcome to Nomads mannings, looking forward to hearing about your adventure.

MMc - 5-24-2014 at 05:20 AM

Get them some firecrackers and sky rockets they will always remember it.

bajabuddha - 5-24-2014 at 06:39 AM

Peyton's doing a great promo job, hope Eli has a better year. Welcome. (J - K !!) Look forward to your posts, and be ready for some mighty hot and humid weather. Make sure you have a/c where you're staying.

DENNIS - 5-24-2014 at 06:43 AM

Welcome to BajaNomad. Nice introduction. :D

woody with a view - 5-24-2014 at 06:57 AM

sounds like a plan!

grace59 - 5-24-2014 at 07:26 AM

Hello Mannings and welcome to the forum. I, too, am a reverse snow bird spending summers in San Felipe. It is hot there and can be humid in July and August, but not as humid as it is in the Southern US in the summer. I actually enjoy being there in the summer when things are slower. I'm sure that you all will have a wonderful time there. San Felipe has grown since you were last there, but is still a wonderful small town. Enjoy.

Ken Cooke - 5-24-2014 at 07:48 AM

Have a great time! I can't wait to hear your trip report.:bounce:

mannings - 5-24-2014 at 08:17 AM

Will post some pics pre-trip so you can say hi if you see us.. :tumble:

(try to post picks, that is..)

Will start with our vehicle.

shari - 5-24-2014 at 08:20 AM

how wonderful when folks introduce themselves like you did Mannings...thank you and we look forward to your posts now that you have come out of the closet!

and worthy you are....already posting photos!!!! are you related to DK? hahahaha....just joshin ya...most of us took awhile to figure out how to get our pictures on.

[Edited on 5-24-2014 by shari]

bajalearner - 5-24-2014 at 08:21 AM

Have a safe trip. Hope to see some pictures of your adventures. Oh, and don't drink the water! In Portland OR I mean. The news says they have ecoli in it and they must boil it. So uncivilized and violent north of the border. :D

Ken Cooke - 5-24-2014 at 08:26 AM

That's a great Baja rig! :bounce: Are you going to camp, stay in a Motel, rent a house, or a combination? How far south of San Felipe will you be going?

mannings - 5-24-2014 at 08:32 AM

Nice.. got it on the first try. Must be smartier than I look.

Here's the crew.

Left to right back row;

Dad - Patrick
Wifey - Kentucky Kim
12yr - Ethan
1yr - Owen

Left to right front row;

3yr - Lillian Breeze
14yr - Jacob
6yr - Eli

mannings - 5-24-2014 at 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
That's a great Baja rig! :bounce: Are you going to camp, stay in a Motel, rent a house, or a combination? How far south of San Felipe will you be going?

We rented a house on the beach about 25 miles south of San Felipe. We also have a Jack Rabbit tent trailer with dune buggy and plan to camp around a bit as well.

Might head into the interior a bit as my passion in archaeology and Spanish history (I'm treading lightly here..)

**and thanks for all the warm welcomes!**
(can't say it surprises me, though, for folks that are baja nuts)

BajaBlanca - 5-24-2014 at 08:55 AM

Great intro and what a wonderful picture of the family!

I bet Baja is an archeologists dream....remember all the desert to- DOs if you go inland or anywhere

LOTS OF WATER. SNACKS. LOTS OF WATER

bajalearner - 5-24-2014 at 08:56 AM

Nice truck and I see, in Kentucky, you park just like we do in Baja. So you got that going for you. ;):rolleyes:

durrelllrobert - 5-24-2014 at 09:12 AM

Welcome aboard. You not only have a nice looking Baja vehicle but you have a nice looking family as well.

woody with a view - 5-24-2014 at 09:27 AM

you got cottonmouths in KY we got rattlers in Baja. remind the kids about the things that bite in the desert!

durrelllrobert - 5-24-2014 at 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
you got cottonmouths in KY we got rattlers in Baja. remind the kids about the things that bite in the desert!
Woody, he said "we live in St. George, UT since 2005" and they have rattlers there.

mannings - 5-24-2014 at 09:38 AM

Yeah... we spend A LOT of time camping in the Arizona Strip. See lots of rattlers.

mannings - 5-24-2014 at 09:42 AM

also have timber rattlers in KY

jimgrms - 5-24-2014 at 09:56 AM

Welcome Maning clan, Have fun in Baja and be sure and teach your Kidds the sting ray shuffle when they get in the water

woody with a view - 5-24-2014 at 10:01 AM

my attention span is this long ----> . <---

[Edited on 5-24-2014 by woody with a view]

David K - 5-24-2014 at 10:50 AM

Have a wonderful time!

The kids will have a blast... Perhaps take a ride to Shell Island (Km. 26) at low tide. Do bring a good tire air pump with you, as you know getting stuck in sand only means you have too much air in the tires. A 4WD will be good with 15-20 psi in the tires and a 2WD should be about 10 psi.

mannings - 5-24-2014 at 10:53 AM

^thanks David.. I did invest in the best portable compressor I could find. Hate sitting around for 45 minutes airing up 4 tires.

(and I do know how to quote.. just trying not to overly clutter)

DENNIS - 5-24-2014 at 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mannings
also have timber rattlers in KY

oooooooo....they be mean.

bacquito - 5-24-2014 at 03:44 PM

Welcome!!

ehall - 5-24-2014 at 07:57 PM

I'm jealous, 60 day vacation. Bet that took some planning. Have fun and take a lot of sunscreen.

Bajaboy - 5-24-2014 at 08:05 PM

Enjoy...it's going to be toasty....

mannings - 5-25-2014 at 08:27 AM

Another question, if I may.

I normally go to Baja packing light (and going alone).

This time with 7 of us and staying 2 months, we are anything but lightly packed.

So the question is, do I cross the border with "nothing to declare" since we are only taking personal items.. albeit TONS of stuff?

Here you go

durrelllrobert - 5-25-2014 at 09:08 AM

From the MX Customs Declaration

This is your Personal BAGGAGE Allowance

BAGGAGE AND DUTY FREE ALLOWANCE
Passengers may transport, exempt duty, new or used merchandises that make up their personal baggage as well as duty-free allowance merchandises:
1) Goods considered as personal baggage: Goods for personal use such as clothes - including one bride trousseau, footwear and personal toiletries and beauty products, `as long as they are appropriate for the duration of the trip; as well as baby travel, hygiene and fun accessories, such as car seat, portacrib, baby carriage, baby walker, etc., including their accessories; two cameras or video cameras, including 12 rolls of film or video cassettes; photographic material; two cellular phones or beepers or pagers; one portable typewriter; one personal organizer; one laptop, notebook, omnibook or similar; one portable photocopier or printer; one portable recorder and one projector, including accessories; two personal sports equipments, four fishing rods, three surfboards or wind surfing boards and their accessories, trophys or recognitions that can normally be transported by the passenger; one running machine and one exercise bike; one portable sound recorder or player;; one digital sound player or portable CD player and one DVD player, as well as a set of portable speakers and their accessories; five laser discs, 10 DVDs, 30 CDs or magnetic tapes, for sound playing,, three storage software and 5 storage devices for any electronic equipment; books, magazines and printed documents; five toys, including collection toys, and one video game console, as well as five video games; one blood pressure self-monitoring device and one blood glucose self-monitoring device, or a mixed device, and their reagents, as well as personal medicine (in the event of psycotropic substances, passenger must show prescription); one binoculars and one telescope; two musical instruments and their accessories; one tent and other camping articles; one set of hand tools and the suitcase, which may include one drill, tweezers, wrenches, dies, screwdrivers, cables, etc.

Passengers over 18 years may transport up to 20 cigarette packets, 25 cigars or 200 grams of tobacco, as well as up to 3 liters of alcoholic dinks and six liters of wine.

Old persons and disabled persons may transport devices that compensate or reduce their limitations, such as walkers, wheelchairs, crutches, walking sticks, etc.

Passengers may transport up to two dogs or cats, as well as the accessories necessary for pet transportation and cleaning, showing the pertinent animal importing permit issued by Sagarpa

This is your DUTY FREE allowance

Merchandise additional to the baggage , which monetary value may be proved by invoice or sales receipt and such value doies not exceed 300 USD, or the equivalent in MXN currency when passenger enters mexico by maritime or air port; or 75 USD when passenger enters to Mexico by land. Alcholic drinks, tobaccos and gasoline may not be part of the duty-free allowance.
During holiday period, Holy Week, summer, New Year, Mexican passengers entering Mexico by land may import, under their duty-free allowance, merchandise with a value of up to 300 USD or the equivalent in MXN currency, except for persons that reside in the border. Pleas look up for the begining and end of these holiday periods at customs desk or at www.aduandas.gob.mx.

"TAX PAYMENTS

David K - 5-25-2014 at 09:40 AM

Quote:
Another question, if I may.

I normally go to Baja packing light (and going alone).

This time with 7 of us and staying 2 months, we are anything but lightly packed.

So the question is, do I cross the border with "nothing to declare" since we are only taking personal items.. albeit TONS of stuff?

Yes. You are not importing items to sell inside Mexico. If everything is what your family will need and be used on your vacation, you are good. However, you need to get your Tourist Cards (FMMs), and at least in the case of Tijuana, you cross using the Something to Declare lane to park by the building for the INM office. When you drive on south, after getting your FMMs, you may be searched, or press a button for the red or green light to see if you will be searched. Once they see all you have is camping or vacation gear, you will be on your way. One note, if you are bringing quads or motorcycles, you will need the proof of ownership for them. If you are pulling a trailer, you must include it on your Mexican Auto Insurance form. You can get your insurance online, before you leave. BajaBound.com supports this web site and you can click their ad at the top of Nomad pages. Discover Baja Travel Club has many discounts for members and also insurance.

pauldavidmena - 5-25-2014 at 10:08 AM

I have 5 children as well. Vacationing with a large family is logistically grueling, but usually well worth the effort. Hats off to you for trekking with the tribe to Baja.

rts551 - 5-25-2014 at 10:09 AM

Even if you lower tire pressure down to 10 PSI (per DK) DO NOT drive on the beach on the gulf side with only 2 wheel drive. The sand is very course and is easy to get stuck in.

David K - 5-25-2014 at 10:14 AM

I would also say to not try it alone in 2WD... The 10 psi post is IF you got stuck in sand with a 2WD, then your starting point for getting out is 10 psi.

You would be surprised at the 2WD vehicles that do drive out onto that beach (motorhomes, LTDs, fisherman's pickups). I have seen them all, and the common item they all share is low air pressure.

Places to check out

Ken Cooke - 5-25-2014 at 11:26 AM

1. If you are able to take the crew to eat at this great roadside stop - do it. Asadero el Morlan 2 - from Hwy 2 in Progreso, you can continue east to Hwy 2D expressway on your way south to San Felipe.

2. The hot springs in Puertecitos. There is also a nice beach there to spend your afternoon with the family.

3. Valle de los Gigantes - This would make a nice early morning to noon trip. Lots of large cactii to view.
http://www.mysanfelipevacation.com/local-area-guide.asp?cat=...

4. Coco's Corner

5. Gonzaga bay

Sometimes gasoline is available in Gonzaga, but its better to always begin with a full tank.

6. Shell Island is just north of where you will be staying. Remember to use 4WD or you will get stuck.

It helps if you have friends along if don't remember if you're in 2WD or not.:?:

7 This cool spot north of Gonzaga Bay, but south of Puertecitos is nice for checking out the Huerfanito island.

[Edited on 5-25-2014 by Ken Cooke]

Udo - 5-25-2014 at 11:33 AM

I've been gone for two days, and just saw your post...

WELCOME TO BAJANOMAD, (and nice 4X4)

mannings - 5-25-2014 at 11:58 AM

Wow.. so much for help and warm welcomes than I expected.

Much appreciated!

BajaRat - 5-25-2014 at 12:00 PM

Cool ride and fun looking fam Mannings. Looks like all the basics covered above. Lots of shade and water its gonna be hot, have fun, be safe and look forward to your posts.
Diesel or gas in that bad boy ? And what type and brand of compressor did you go with ?
:cool:

mcfez - 5-25-2014 at 02:47 PM

You should very warned about taking your family to The Baja.

They will not want to leave!

The area you are heading for is known for it's great beaches and for surf fishing. Though it is very hot down there in those months......it will be a trip that your kids shall talk about for years to come. My kids still talk about the Baja. In fact...I am not "allowed" to sell our beach house in San Felipe...the kids want it after I am dead (a long time from now) :-)

The little town down there (DavidK...the name please).......that market is a must do place to eat at. Go inside ( or outside to the picnic table) and the lady will ask you what you want for lunch. She prepares the meals in the rear kitchen......from scratch. The ***BEST*** chile relleno and beans on the Sea of Cortez! That town has a police office there too btw...hardware store, two restaurants. All you need.

Oh......the market goes to San Felipe twice a week...if you have special needs (groceries of sorts)....he will bring it back for you.

Suffer mines...go early in the a.m. Too hot during the day.
Valle de Los Gigantes....same thing.

Puertecitos...The woman that runs this place is named Clara. American educated and very nice. The little pier there is perfect for catching fish...the kids will love it. Nothing big...but is fun. Hot springs have a concrete path down to them...and must be there at low tide to get the full effect. Entry fee is 20 bucks. Great campsite for a night.
http://www.wolpy.com/places/3991449

For great info about the area.....read this BN board or go to Randy's http://www.blueroadrunner.com/

redhilltown - 5-26-2014 at 12:15 AM

I realize it might be a tad out of the way, but consider crossing the border at Tecate...it is just so much easier and gentle on the soul! Sounds like you'll have to get your visas and it couldn't be easier there vs Mexicali...you can then take the great toll road over to the Cortez coast. There are a few threads on here as to this crossing. Once again, maybe a bit out of the way but for the type of trip you'll be taking and the large family, it might be worth it. As Nomads post I hope they'll give their input on this!

And by all means head south to San Luis Gonzaga and even further south on the dirt road to Cocos...you certainly have the rig for it!

mannings - 5-26-2014 at 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRat
Cool ride and fun looking fam Mannings. Looks like all the basics covered above. Lots of shade and water its gonna be hot, have fun, be safe and look forward to your posts.
Diesel or gas in that bad boy ? And what type and brand of compressor did you go with ?
:cool:

Truck's diesel.

The compressor is a VIAIR 440. UNREAL how fast it re-inflates for a portable.

mannings - 5-26-2014 at 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by redhilltown
I realize it might be a tad out of the way, but consider crossing the border at Tecate...it is just so much easier and gentle on the soul! Sounds like you'll have to get your visas and it couldn't be easier there vs Mexicali...you can then take the great toll road over to the Cortez coast. There are a few threads on here as to this crossing. Once again, maybe a bit out of the way but for the type of trip you'll be taking and the large family, it might be worth it. As Nomads post I hope they'll give their input on this!

And by all means head south to San Luis Gonzaga and even further south on the dirt road to Cocos...you certainly have the rig for it!

The Tecate crossing sounds like great advice.. it's just soooo way out of the way.
I think i'll take my chances at M exicali and hope for the best.

How far south of San Felipe is Cocos?

dean miller - 5-26-2014 at 07:43 AM

Welcome

Kentucky the land of pretty horses and fast women...but you lucked out you have a pretty woman-- who cares about the horses?

St George - five children - summer off- there is a hidden message there.

I suspect another member "investigator" and I fully comprehend.

SDM

Hook - 5-26-2014 at 08:14 AM

Quote:
Wow.. so much for help and warm welcomes than I expected.

Much appreciated!

Welcome to Nomads.

And you WILL be getting a WARM welcome in the South Campos in June and July. :biggrin:

The "dry heat" thing can sometimes disappear if you are staying right along the water at that time of year. There is some serious transpiration of water from the Sea when it is in the 80s and the air is in the 90-100+ range.

[Edited on 5-26-2014 by Hook]

David K - 5-26-2014 at 10:58 AM

Quote:
Quote:

The Tecate crossing sounds like great advice.. it's just soooo way out of the way.

Mexicali is just fine... Well signed for San Felipe. If using the downtown/ Calexico crossing, take the street that angles southeast from the border and has train tracks in the center.

Coco's Corner is about 120 miles south of San Felipe (between Gonzaga Bay and Hwy. 1/ Laguna Chapala).

I have road logs posted on Nomad I make during my trips...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=28207

Here is the most recent one for Coco's Corner (Puertecitos is about 52 miles south of San Felipe)

PUERTECITOS SOUTH:

Sunday, July 15, 2012

0.0 Puertecitos Junction (Km. 74/75)

5.0 Playa Cristina

6.1 La Costilla

14.7 (Km. 99/100) wide turnout with the view of the Enchanted Islands

25.5 (Km. 117) Okie Landing (a fishing ‘resort’ from the 1960’s with just concrete slabs remaining)
The pavement ended just north of here one year ago (July, 2011).

The end of pavement this trip is at Mile 31.3, just beyond Km. 126. That is almost 6 miles (10 km.) added in one year. This is no rush job, but the quality of the highway is fantastic, with a 110 kph (~70 mph) speed limit.

31.9 Campo Delfines

36.6 Punta Bufeo

41.7 Papa Fernandez’

42.8 Military checkpoint

44.2 Pemex gas station/ Alfonsina’s road/ Rancho Grande store

We topped the gas tank at Gonzaga Bay. Trip odometer reset to 0.

0.0 Gonzaga Pemex

4.7 Arroyo Santa María crossing

7.2 Las Palmitas oasis/ El Camino Real access (reported washed out in 2014, use track in Arroyo at mile 4.7)

13.9 the first boojum (cirio) trees

22.4 Coco’s Corner

(note: pavement in Spring 2014 has been extended to 2 miles south of the Pemex at Gonzaga)

Hook - 5-26-2014 at 11:07 AM

Do people really go to Coco's Corner, just to go to Coco's Corner?

I mean, is that a summer DESTINATION?

I guess I havent been there in a while.................:cool:

David K - 5-26-2014 at 11:10 AM

It is pretty unique... but I would call it more of a rest stop on the way to or from Chapala or Calamajué.

mannings - 5-26-2014 at 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dean miller

I suspect another member "investigator" and I fully comprehend.

SDM

Being new here.. someone fill me in please.

David K - 5-26-2014 at 11:22 AM

There is a Mormon connection... as I recall, ELINVESTIG8R posted quite a detailed history of his youth in an LDS polygamist compound... that was a few years ago, so I recommend checking it out.

David K - 5-26-2014 at 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
You should very warned about taking your family to The Baja.

They will not want to leave!

The area you are heading for is known for it's great beaches and for surf fishing. Though it is very hot down there in those months......it will be a trip that your kids shall talk about for years to come. My kids still talk about the Baja. In fact...I am not "allowed" to sell our beach house in San Felipe...the kids want it after I am dead (a long time from now) :-)

The little town down there (DavidK...the name please).......that market is a must do place to eat at. Go inside ( or outside to the picnic table) and the lady will ask you what you want for lunch. She prepares the meals in the rear kitchen......from scratch. The ***BEST*** chile relleno and beans on the Sea of Cortez! That town has a police office there too btw...hardware store, two restaurants. All you need.

Are you speaking of Colonia Delicias (Km. 35-36)?

Here are photos of two of the restaurants there taken back in 2006: On pages 2 and 3: http://vivabaja.com/618/

mannings - 5-26-2014 at 11:58 AM

^that's awesome! I knew about the location but had never seen photos or much detail at all about the place.

(and I'm not Mormon.. though all my business partners are..)

redhilltown - 5-26-2014 at 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Quote:

Mexicali is just fine... Well signed for San Felipe. If using the downtown/ Calexico crossing, take the street that angles southeast from the border and has train tracks in the center.

Coco's Corner is about 120 miles south of San Felipe (between Gonzaga Bay and Hwy. 1/ Laguna Chapala).

I have road logs posted on Nomad I make during my trips...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=28207

Here is the most recent one for Coco's Corner (Puertecitos is about 52 miles south of San Felipe)

PUERTECITOS SOUTH:

Sunday, July 15, 2012

0.0 Puertecitos Junction (Km. 74/75)

5.0 Playa Cristina

6.1 La Costilla

14.7 (Km. 99/100) wide turnout with the view of the Enchanted Islands

25.5 (Km. 117) Okie Landing (a fishing ‘resort’ from the 1960’s with just concrete slabs remaining)
The pavement ended just north of here one year ago (July, 2011).

The end of pavement this trip is at Mile 31.3, just beyond Km. 126. That is almost 6 miles (10 km.) added in one year. This is no rush job, but the quality of the highway is fantastic, with a 110 kph (~70 mph) speed limit.

31.9 Campo Delfines

36.6 Punta Bufeo

41.7 Papa Fernandez’

42.8 Military checkpoint

44.2 Pemex gas station/ Alfonsina’s road/ Rancho Grande store

We topped the gas tank at Gonzaga Bay. Trip odometer reset to 0.

0.0 Gonzaga Pemex

4.7 Arroyo Santa María crossing

7.2 Las Palmitas oasis/ El Camino Real access (reported washed out in 2014, use track in Arroyo at mile 4.7)

13.9 the first boojum (cirio) trees

22.4 Coco’s Corner

(note: pavement in Spring 2014 has been extended to 2 miles south of the Pemex at Gonzaga)

Sorry...I realize that Mexicali is fine...I usually am solo or not far from that so we can just bust through and on our way...but I have never crossed with a family and I have no idea of the logistics of the visas etc. DK has the maps and definitely use them! Cocos is 90 minutes "ish" from San Felipe now and as said, worth a stop if heading that way for a day trip...but that road is changing...and that little part of the world of Baja is changing so you may not get another chance to see it...maybe not big deal but if you are there and out for a day run, why not?

JZ - 5-27-2014 at 12:05 AM

For sure you want to hit Gonzaga Bay. It's the best place along that stretch. Way better than San Felipe iyam.

You wouldn't want to just drive to CoCo's for the hell of it. It's a pit stop on the way further South.

I would suggest heading down to Bahia de Los Angeles. It's even better than Gonzaga. I just took my three kids last month.

Three days in Gonzaga and 4 days in BoLA.

mannings - 5-27-2014 at 06:58 AM

What do the kids 'do' at Gonzaga and BOLA?

bajalearner - 5-27-2014 at 07:11 AM

I like that pedestrian clearing amor on the front of your truck. :tumble: I want.

mannings - 5-27-2014 at 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalearner
I like that pedestrian clearing amor on the front of your truck. :tumble: I want.

Meh. I don't hit pedestrians. That things for obnoxious bicyclists.

bajalearner - 5-27-2014 at 07:39 AM

Quote:
Quote:

hahaha. It looks capable. How much weight can that winch pull and how long is the cable?

David K - 5-27-2014 at 08:31 AM

Quote:
What do the kids 'do' at Gonzaga and BOLA?

I have a page on my web site that has links to photos at various Baja points-of-interest. They are grouped under destinations, including Gonzaga and L.A. Bay. Looking at the photos will give you clues as to what you will see and if it looks interesting enough to visit. Here is that page with the links: http://vivabaja.com/tours

Both places have the gulf to enjoy, but it is the attractions inland that add to each place. However, L.A. Bay has a town with many taco stands, stores, restaurants and the kids (specially teens) will like it for that. Gonzaga Bay is mostly just a beautiful beach, and only a couple of restaurants and one store.

mannings - 5-29-2014 at 04:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

hahaha. It looks capable. How much weight can that winch pull and how long is the cable?

don't know how long the cable is.. never had to use it all. ;)

mannings - 6-3-2014 at 10:01 PM

we made it down Sunday afternoon..

Having a relaxing blast. Made it to shell island via km26 today and my kids swiped 200+ sand dollars and we hooked into several rays. Kids are ear to ear.

Many thanks to DavidK and many others for all the advice.

Haven't made it to Chelo's yet but hope to tomorrow.

David K - 6-3-2014 at 10:08 PM

Quote:

Having a relaxing blast. Made it to shell island via km26 today and my kids swiped 200+ sand dollars and we hooked into several rays. Kids are ear to ear.

Glad you found it okay and could enjoy it! Viva Baja!!

mannings - 6-3-2014 at 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

Glad you found it okay and could enjoy it! Viva Baja!!

Thanks.. only 58 days to go. Trying not to think about the end.

Hook - 6-4-2014 at 08:17 AM

Wow, you came down in a blistering heat wave. If you are still smiling, you will be fine.

Humidity kicks up in most areas of the Sea today.

Bob H - 6-4-2014 at 09:50 AM

I finally got around to reading this post. Welcome to Nomadland Mannings ! Really looking forward to your trip reports during your 60 day stay in Baja.

OldSalt - 6-4-2014 at 04:04 PM

Reminds me of my family in the 80's. Now my son is 34 and cherishes the memories. We pried oysters off the rocks with a flat-tip screwdriver and lived on the beach for 2 months. Enjoy your adventure!

MariaDeTJN - 7-6-2014 at 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JZ

I would suggest heading down to Bahia de Los Angeles. It's even better than Gonzaga. I just took my three kids last month.

How many hours was the drive from Gonzaga to BoLA? How was the road? And thanks, David K, for that great breakdown of mileage down to Gonzaga Bay - very helpful!

We're thinking about heading to the Bay of LA in a couple of days. Trying to decide which route to take - not towing anything, but only have about 5 days for this trip. Thanks again for some great info!

David K - 7-6-2014 at 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MariaDeTJN
Quote:
Originally posted by JZ

How many hours was the drive from Gonzaga to BoLA? How was the road? And thanks, David K, for that great breakdown of mileage down to Gonzaga Bay - very helpful!

We're thinking about heading to the Bay of LA in a couple of days. Trying to decide which route to take - not towing anything, but only have about 5 days for this trip. Thanks again for some great info!

Gonzaga Bay Pemex to Hwy. 1 at Laguna Chapala is 35 miles, with about 2 being paved. Coco's Corner is one of those Baja special places to stop at, before the highway changes the area FOREVER. Coco's is close to 22 miles south of the Pemex (13 miles from Hwy. 1).

The time it takes you to go 35 miles will depend on your vehicle, driving style, if you drop the air pressure to 25 psi (+/-), if you don't and get a flat, and how long you visit with Coco, or how many cold beers and sodas you drink there! 2 hours total to Hwy. 1 is safe.

Hwy. 1 to the L.A. Bay hwy. junction is about 31 miles (1/2 hour drive) and then it's 40 miles to the Sea of Cortez village... and 1 hours with a photo stops.

MariaDeTJN - 7-7-2014 at 07:27 AM

Thanks so much!
I think we'll head through the Corridor on this trip and make a side trip out to CoCo's. Will definitely save this info and will go through Gonzaga on the next trip when we have more time. Thanks again for the great info!