BajaNomad

TalkBaja.com Forums will be retiring from the Internet

David K - 5-26-2014 at 11:41 AM

Baja Gringo (Ron) has announced he will be shutting down his TalkBaja.com forums due to time allotment for managing the site becoming too much a burden. He will maintain his Facebook page, however.

Read his post for the details: http://talkbaja.com/showthread.php?t=7972

I hope Ron continues to share here on Baja Nomad!

Jaybo - 5-26-2014 at 02:05 PM

Here is the link to the TalkBaja Facebook group

Bajahowodd - 5-26-2014 at 04:05 PM

Two observations.

I had dinner with Ron at Jardines when he was building his off the grid home. I also had many cadillac margaritas with him that same night. Really nice fellow. I actually dropped out of the TalkBaja website because he had a moderator there that suspended me for no good cause. The infamous Hose A.

Anyhow, I wish Ron and Cristina the absolute best.

BTW. Ron went to high school in Garden Grove.

tiotomasbcs - 5-26-2014 at 04:44 PM

Good Luck to Ron and familia. It must be lots of work! I hope life in Baja Norte has returned to a tranquil pace and full of fun and adventure. Thats why we're here. I'm sure he will still be a valuable Nomad like his valuable help rescuing Don-Kay! If you're ever headed south, Ron, give us a heads up. I'll keep a candle lit. Suerte. Tomas

Bajahowodd - 5-26-2014 at 04:55 PM

I understand that according to the most recent Pew pole, 71% of internet users are on Facebook. However, I have always considered it a veiled marketing tool.

It will be interesting to see if the Talk Baja site on Facebook flourishes.

In my opinion, it is a tool for the lemmings. Good night.

rts551 - 5-26-2014 at 06:11 PM

I will continue to use Talk Baja. Thanks Ron.

Boy did this thread sure go on a diet.

durrelllrobert - 5-26-2014 at 06:16 PM

Good luck Ron and sell a lot of Abs to the Koreans and Chinese.

Bajaboy - 5-26-2014 at 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Baja Gringo (Ron) has announced he will be shutting down his TalkBaja.com forums due to time allotment for managing the site becoming too much a burden. He will maintain his Facebook page, however.

Read his post for the details: http://talkbaja.com/showthread.php?t=7972

I hope Ron continues to share here on Baja Nomad!

I got the impression that Ron was not a fan of a few posters here and I will leave it at that....but yes, he is a great guy with loads of valuable information.

BajaGringo - 5-26-2014 at 08:06 PM

As most of you know, I am involved with an abalone farm outside San Quintin. Over time, my duties have expanded to our oyster farm on the bay and our operations out on San Martin Island. We recently just signed a deal to begin the early planning stages for our own packing plant, with construction to begin in the second half of next year. Through all this process my available time sitting in front of a PC has become a precious, dwindling commodity and why I have had little time to devote to the talkbaja forum or bajanomad for that matter. Now with the additional duties I have assumed it simply forced me into a decision to change direction.

Last year I created a TalkBaja facebook group. As Facebook has an app that I can easily access from my smartphone / easily readable with these aging eyes, it made that new direction clear. The idea seems popular as we already have over 1000 group members with the added spice of a cross cultural mix - something I never planned on in the beginning but the result of which seems to provide good chemistry.

If Doug has no problem with it, (Hello Doug!) I would like to post popular/interesting threads from nomad on the facebook group page from time to time. I would also welcome anyone who wants to post items from our talkbaja group page here on nomad.

I want to take this opportunity to thank my moderators who have carried the lions share of the workload for me in my absence. It can be a thankless job and moderators are frequently forced to make unpopular calls where they end up with half the forum angry at them. But to not make that call would anger the other half of the forum so all they can do is try to follow the forum rules and my guidelines I give them. It's not an easy job but I am very thankful for all the time and help they unselfishly gave me. I consider you all my lifetime amigos.

In a few days I will pull the forum down for good and the domain will be forwarded to our new facebook group page. I truly hope that you all consider joining us over there and get involved. For those of you who are not on facebook, today it offers much better online privacy and control. You can easily choose who has access to see your page, profile, posts and photos. I will admit that at first I was not enamored with facebook but over time and with the evolution of their platform, they have won me over.

Thank you all for the many messages, emails and posts of support. Cristina says thank you for getting me off the PC earlier at night...

Ron

David K - 5-26-2014 at 10:28 PM

Thank you Ron!

Udo - 5-27-2014 at 07:40 AM

Hola, Ron!

I was wondering how you were juggling the abalone and oyster farms, TalkBaja AND Facebook.

I am having difficulties just juggling FB and Nomads, and I'm retired!

shari - 5-27-2014 at 08:22 AM

Mil gracias amigo for all the amazing things you do, for your family, friends and whoever is in need. There are few people in this world one can trust and depend on and you Sir are cherished. Your home is simply amazing and your aquaculture project is to be admired. And a shout-out to Cristina for sharing you around!

BajaNomad - 5-27-2014 at 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo

If Doug has no problem with it, (Hello Doug!) I would like to post popular/interesting threads from nomad on the facebook group page from time to time. I would also welcome anyone who wants to post items from our talkbaja group page here on nomad.

Hello Ron!

I would welcome both of the opportunities noted. Many good wishes to you sir as your offline ventures continue to grow. Glad to see the new connections being made on the Talk Baja FB group. I anticipate the # of participants there to rise significantly, and that the group will continue as an important resource for the online community of Baja California residents and travelers.

Thank you for all that you continue to do Ron.

sargentodiaz - 5-27-2014 at 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
As most of you know, I am involved with an abalone farm outside San Quintin. Over time, my duties have expanded to our oyster farm on the bay and our operations out on San Martin Island. We recently just signed a deal to begin the early planning stages for our own packing plant, with construction to begin in the second half of next year. Through all this process my available time sitting in front of a PC has become a precious, dwindling commodity and why I have had little time to devote to the talkbaja forum or bajanomad for that matter. Now with the additional duties I have assumed it simply forced me into a decision to change direction.

Last year I created a TalkBaja facebook group. As Facebook has an app that I can easily access from my smartphone / easily readable with these aging eyes, it made that new direction clear. The idea seems popular as we already have over 1000 group members with the added spice of a cross cultural mix - something I never planned on in the beginning but the result of which seems to provide good chemistry.

I want to take this opportunity to thank my moderators who have carried the lions share of the workload for me in my absence. It can be a thankless job and moderators are frequently forced to make unpopular calls where they end up with half the forum angry at them. But to not make that call would anger the other half of the forum so all they can do is try to follow the forum rules and my guidelines I give them. It's not an easy job but I am very thankful for all the time and help they unselfishly gave me. I consider you all my lifetime amigos.

In a few days I will pull the forum down for good and the domain will be forwarded to our new facebook group page. I truly hope that you all consider joining us over there and get involved. For those of you who are not on facebook, today it offers much better online privacy and control. You can easily choose who has access to see your page, profile, posts and photos. I will admit that at first I was not enamored with facebook but over time and with the evolution of their platform, they have won me over.

Thank you all for the many messages, emails and posts of support. Cristina says thank you for getting me off the PC earlier at night...

Ron

Just an aside to maybe make you feel better.

In 1740, there was a huge storm in the Sea of Cortez near Mulegé that washed oysters up on shore for a hundred miles. The Indians, knowing the Spaniards were interested in such things, brought them to the mission. One of the soldiers there, Miguel de Ocio saw the fantastic opportunity in the pearls inside the shells and immediately retired. Others swarmed to the shore and soon, Ocio had his own ships to gather the pearls which he took to Guadalajara. This was the first act of commerce in the Jesuit Utopia and created a conflict between the two until Ocio's death and the removal of the Jesuits from New Spain.

So, when you shuck your oysters, keep your eyes open!!! :lol:

MikeYounghusband - 5-27-2014 at 04:10 PM

See ya on FB buddy.

DENNIS - 5-27-2014 at 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sargentodiaz

So, when you shuck your oysters, keep your eyes open!!! :lol:

Good idea.
In the mid 60s, I would spend time at the Flying Sportsman Lodge in Loreto. It was a small town then and a lot of the working men in town would spend the hot summer months, when Loreto turned into a ghost town, in La Paz diving for pearls [not to be confused with washing dishes]. So, they're still out there. [Pearls. Not divers] :biggrin:

[Edited on 5-28-2014 by DENNIS]