BajaNomad

We commonly see visuals of Baja here . . .

bajacalifornian - 5-29-2014 at 09:05 AM

We commonly see visuals of Baja here. All magnificent captures of culture and nature.

_____

Sound. There are special sounds in Baja.

Walking neighborhood dirt roads at night, a car approaching sounds same as a car rolling through snow.

Not as much these days, but the sound of a neighbor deep within the palms, lights up his 65 Johnson with it's mellow song.

Birds. For me . . . the vermilions and the morning crocks.

Jeff, not to step on your thoughts, just an etc.

Osprey - 5-29-2014 at 10:03 AM

Attachment: Sounds of the Village.doc (25kB)
This file has been downloaded 278 times

shari - 5-29-2014 at 10:08 AM

so rings true amigo...my ears are caressed by the waves rolling onto the beach & rocks...the chuckling ravens, peeping oyster catchers...my washing machine..jejeje

bajacalifornian - 5-29-2014 at 10:43 AM

The contrary Osprey. I am inviting the same.

Your post is a pleasant surprise. Nice.

BajaBlanca - 5-29-2014 at 10:57 AM

The osprey peeping loudly, the doves cooing, the waves crashing, and when you walk, the bees that burrrr around your ears.

And if you go to the beach with our dog, Rex, he barks incessantly. As well as when we head to the house from our B&B. What's up with that? He never barks otherwise.

BajaBlanca - 5-29-2014 at 11:00 AM

Very nice read, Osprey!

DENNIS - 5-29-2014 at 11:37 AM

Years ago in the cities, it was the sound, as well as the aroma, of diesel engines in the busses.

sancho - 5-29-2014 at 12:07 PM

Roosters, dog barking, those loud speakers mounted on
an old clunker advertising ? . Smells, wood burning, dust,
tortillas near a tortilleria

Paulina - 5-29-2014 at 10:29 PM

Sounds...boat motor on a black night, seagull politics, the high pitch squeak of the dolphin underwater with your eyes closed, inhale and exhale of the whale and sea turtle, trophy trucks in the distance, the zing of the line as it peels off the reel, the thump of yellowtail in the cooler.

Smells...Red tide, humid sunrise, Suavetel, Fabulosa, the burn barrel, diesel fuel on a tiled patio, day old bait tank, Herman's Old Spice, desert rain, over ripe mango, goat cheese.

Taste...sweat dripping off the tip of my nose, biznaga, Coca Cola, Herman's beans, mesquite thorn tooth picks.

P>*)))>{

bajadogs - 5-29-2014 at 11:03 PM

Wandering up a remote canyon wash, again, my own breath and the unavoidable crunching under my feet. Sometimes I stop and hold my breath waiting for total silence and my heartbeat reminds me how insignificant I am.

Skipjack Joe - 5-29-2014 at 11:11 PM

The sardinas would sound like raindrops when they leaped out of the water in the early mornings.

The regular woosh, woosh of the water below your panga in the morning as you sped to the fishing spot always brought a sense of anticipation for what lay ahead.

The feel of cold metal on your bare feet as you stepped into your boat was always part of the experience.

The relief from the sun and a sense of awakening when the shadows start to grow long in the evenings.

danaeb - 5-30-2014 at 08:16 AM

The geckos inside the house chirping away at all hours. How can something so small make such a large noise?

bajacalifornian - 6-10-2014 at 07:58 AM

Was just reminded by a woodpecker of another sound.

He stops by mornings and plays Pecker Hammer

on the antenna dish.

Udo - 6-10-2014 at 08:56 AM

I respectfully disagree with the statement that a car going down a dirt road sound the same as a car plowing though snow.

I live in snow country for 33 years...a few inches of snow on the road mutes the car sounds until the car is about 30-40 feet away. All you hear is the car's engine.
Unless the car has on a set of chains on the drive tires and is on an icy road. But even with chains on and 8" of snow, you can't hear the car until it's almost on top of you.

Quote:
Originally posted by bajacalifornian
We commonly see visuals of Baja here. All magnificent captures of culture and nature.

_____

Sound. There are special sounds in Baja.

Walking neighborhood dirt roads at night, a car approaching sounds same as a car rolling through snow.

Not as much these days, but the sound of a neighbor deep within the palms, lights up his 65 Johnson with it's mellow song.

Birds. For me . . . the vermilions and the morning crocks.

DENNIS - 6-10-2014 at 10:12 AM

Not trying to be weird or disrespectful or funny or stupid or anything else, but in times long past, a sensation in Mexico that was only noise to me at the time, was being immersed in the sounds of Spanish being spoken all around me. It was a mysterious, exotic chatter in my senses, kind of like standing in the center of a machine shop with no clue as to what the machines were doing.

Howard - 6-10-2014 at 10:15 AM

Does the whoosh of the Pacifico bottle being opened count? :biggrin:

How about one of my favorite sounds, my fishing reel screaming when a yellowtail takes the bait?

DENNIS - 6-10-2014 at 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Howard

Counts for everything. If sounds paint pictures, this one is a masterpiece. :biggrin:

bill erhardt - 6-10-2014 at 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Howard

How about one of my favorite sounds, my fishing reel screaming when a yellowtail takes the bait?

Counts with me.

And the higher frequency scream of a wahoo's first run with the smell of overheated drag washers and reel housing too hot to touch.

300 horses rumbling on the bracket behind the transom slurping down magna at 12 gallons per hour on the way out to the high spot - what better to do with it.

A well trimmed deep V hull cutting through the chop and coming down hard but not pounding.

MMc - 6-10-2014 at 03:31 PM

I love the offshore wind chatter under my board as I paddle for a wave and how it speeds up as I make the drop.

danaeb - 6-10-2014 at 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajacalifornian
Was just reminded by a woodpecker of another sound.

He stops by mornings and plays Pecker Hammer

on the antenna dish.

Mine play pecker hammer (and I love this expression BTW) on the metal straps that hold the overhead beams on the patio. The first time I heard them I thought there was a problem with the water pipes in the house. :yes: