BajaNomad

Familiar destinations or new places???

BornFisher - 5-29-2014 at 09:10 PM

Well a little something to chew on-------------- would you rather go somewhere you know, (lodging, food, friends), or go to a new place (no friends, don`t know any thing about food or hotels or camping?), in your Baja travels???

David K - 5-29-2014 at 11:43 PM

BOTH! On our last peninsula-long, 2 week trip we started and ended the vacation with a night at our favorite beach camping spot. We camped more nights on Concepcion Bay that trip however.

I have gone more times to my camping beach than any other place, but I can only take so much relaxing... I like to explore and see new places or return to revisit interesting sites I have been to before.

Baja has something for everyone who likes the outdoors, camping, four wheeling, and adventures. It's hard not to go see all the fascinating places in Baja. It's also hard to leave a perfect place were time just strolls by and the tide moves the sea back and forth before your eyes.

chuckie - 5-30-2014 at 04:05 AM

I go along with DK...theres always something new even in places you have been before, it seems. And there is so much of Baja!

bajalearner - 5-30-2014 at 06:13 AM

Yes, what they said. Both.

familiar places (but no relative's house - anywhere) and new places.

Skipjack Joe - 5-30-2014 at 07:06 AM

New places. Always new places.

Every year go somewhere where you've never been before.

Well, until looking for new becomes old.

David K - 5-30-2014 at 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
I go along with DK...theres always something new even in places you have been before, it seems. And there is so much of Baja!

... and so little time! :cool::yes:

Whale-ista - 5-30-2014 at 09:26 AM

I prefer a combination of both. It's good to reconnect with friends, also fun to make new ones and discover new places.

And I like to arrive at the new destinations with referrals to help with getting to know a place. It's often useful to let a proprietor know I was referred by a friend or prior guest. You can build goodwill and let them know others are happy with their service and making referrals on their behalf.

Finally, as recent events remind us -in terms of safety when traveling solo, it's good to let people know others are aware of your travel plans and destinations.

Skipjack Joe - 5-30-2014 at 10:05 AM

That's sensible advice. But to get the most from a trip never be sensible. At our age we are all far too sensible. We need to consciously fight that urge.

What are your best memories from each trip? It's always the unexpected. Plan your trips to maximize this possibility.

[Edited on 5-30-2014 by Skipjack Joe]

elgatoloco - 5-30-2014 at 11:48 AM

We have always had an unwritten rule that each trip south of maneadero had to include a ride down a road we had never been on. So even if we were headed somewhere familiar we would get a chance to see some new terrain. More then once we ended up altering plan due to what we saw at the end of the road. :cool:

danaeb - 5-30-2014 at 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
New places. Always new places.

Every year go somewhere where you've never been before.

Well, until looking for new becomes old.

Two thumbs way up.

vgabndo - 5-30-2014 at 02:32 PM

I remember when you popped in to San Nicolas' years ago!

elgatoloco - 5-30-2014 at 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
I remember when you popped in to San Nicolas' years ago!

Memorable trip to a new place. We still talk about getting back down that road. Someday. On the road in was the first place I ever saw a pronghorn in Baja or anywhere. Good times. :cool: