BajaNomad

PULLED OVER BY TECATE COPS AGAIN~FOR DOGS

Marla Daily - 5-29-2014 at 09:33 PM

Just when we thought we had made it through Tecate without getting pulled over, on the last hill to the border crossing, about 500 feet from the border gate, a motorcycle cop standing by his parked bike, wagged his finger at us to pull over, as he walked up to the camper. We were told to follow him to the police station where he would write us a ticket for having dogs in the truck cab. (The F250 truck cab is extended with a back seat where the dogs ride.)

He was in uniform but without a name tag or ID number. We asked for his name, and he refused to give it. Thus we simply refused to follow him unless he identified himself. I said that according to Sindacatura rules, all officers had to identify themselves ~ that otherwise we had no way to verify he was an official. He said "it wasn't done that way in Tecate." He had a gun; he said that we would get his ID at the station. He said that dogs had to be in crates and not loose. It was a polite standoff, but we refused to follow him. At no time did he ask for money, and at no time did we offer any. I asked if he could please just give us a warning. He ultimately agreed.

When we got to the agriculture check on the US side, we reported the incident to the Supervisor on duty (Lopez). What a nice guy! He called the Tecate Chief of Police and asked about the guy on the motorcycle and the law about dogs in the car. We learned the guy was one of 3 motorcycle cops on duty at the time; that yes officers needed to identify themselves, but that they didn't like to do so and he was still having "issues" over this. Also that the law says that dogs cannot be in the driver's lap (which ours weren't).

Information is always a good thing.

Feathers - 5-29-2014 at 09:56 PM

Good to know!

BornFisher - 5-29-2014 at 10:17 PM

Thanks for following up like you did. Jezzzzez, it seems like there are more laws to protect dogs in the cab of a truck, than children in the bed of a truck.

dasubergeek - 5-29-2014 at 10:27 PM

The Tecate police are a word I'm not allowed to say here, but which sounds a lot like "pen day goes". They're the reason I seldom recommend the Tecate crossing to casual or new visitors to Baja.

Whale-ista - 5-29-2014 at 10:40 PM

Thank you for standing up for your rights.

I'd heard dogs must be in crates or otherwise protected inside the vehicle while traveling in Baja, so I bought a harness that attaches to the seatbelt for my 20 pound dog. I've only used it a few times out of an abundance of caution.

It's true, it actually is safer for the dogs to be harnessed in some way inside of moving vehicles, but I've also heard the police abuse enforcement of this law, as in your case.

It's kind of like seatbelt laws for people-selectively enforced.

Contact info

bajaguy - 5-30-2014 at 05:11 AM

Did you get the name and phone number for the Chief in Tecate??

Would be good to have........just in case

elgatoloco - 5-30-2014 at 05:43 AM

Glad you stood ground. We have had a few run ins with Tecate cops. People who drive with dogs on lap should be jailed. IMEO.

bajalearner - 5-30-2014 at 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
People who drive with dogs on lap should be jailed. IMEO.

Because it interferes with driving or the safety of the dog?

bajalearner - 5-30-2014 at 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dasubergeek
The Tecate police are a word I'm not allowed to say here, but which sounds a lot like "pen day goes". They're the reason I seldom recommend the Tecate crossing to casual or new visitors to Baja.

I believe good or bad in any organization is cultured at the top. In a supervisors class, I was taught, "if you allow it, you promote it" I believe it wholeheartedly.

Case in point. San Diego CA PD

elgatoloco - 5-30-2014 at 06:09 AM

Both. But mostly driving. I don't want someone I know to be the guy who gets hit head on because fido made a move. It's just common sense and respecting others. Something frankly lacking in many dog owners these days. You know the ones, bring dog to dinner, bring dog to supermarket, bring dog to department store, bring dog to shopping mall, bring dog in hotel room. I should note that it's highly unlikely that is case with any Nomaders and their dogs. :saint:

Don't drive and pet! :biggrin:

DENNIS - 5-30-2014 at 07:02 AM

They drive with their kids and babies in their laps, like human air-bags.
Sometimes the inconsistencies down here cease to be quaint, and become bothersome.

Feathers - 5-30-2014 at 07:13 AM

Loathing Tijuana, we always cross at Tecate, (now) religiously following the Sindacatura advice given several months back.

I think we can all agree that "enforcement" isn't about "safety". ;)

peterb - 5-30-2014 at 09:57 AM

Almost always go in through Tecate and back to the US through Tecate as well and in 20 years and more than 18 trips including a few extended stays in the city, I've have never had any dealings, unpleasant or otherwise, with Tecate police. It is always interesting to me how different the experience of different people is in Mexico. It's like a Rorschach country in a lot of ways.

peterb

BajaBlanca - 5-30-2014 at 10:59 AM

It really is amazing that kidsa re allowed in the front on laps but dogs have become the sticking point.

durrelllrobert - 5-30-2014 at 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marla Daily
Just when we thought we had made it through Tecate without getting pulled over, on the last hill to the border crossing, about 500 feet from the border gate, a motorcycle cop standing by his parked bike, wagged his finger at us to pull over, as he walked up to the camper. We were told to follow him to the police station where he would write us a ticket for having dogs in the truck cab. (The F250 truck cab is extended with a back seat where the dogs ride.)

He was in uniform but without a name tag or ID number. We asked for his name, and he refused to give it. Thus we simply refused to follow him unless he identified himself. I said that according to Sindacatura rules, all officers had to identify themselves ~ that otherwise we had no way to verify he was an official. He said "it wasn't done that way in Tecate." He had a gun; he said that we would get his ID at the station. He said that dogs had to be in crates and not loose. It was a polite standoff, but we refused to follow him. At no time did he ask for money, and at no time did we offer any. I asked if he could please just give us a warning. He ultimately agreed.

When we got to the agriculture check on the US side, we reported the incident to the Supervisor on duty (Lopez). What a nice guy! He called the Tecate Chief of Police and asked about the guy on the motorcycle and the law about dogs in the car. We learned the guy was one of 3 motorcycle cops on duty at the time; that yes officers needed to identify themselves, but that they didn't like to do so and he was still having "issues" over this. Also that the law says that dogs cannot be in the driver's lap (which ours weren't).

Information is always a good thing.
That same MC cop was writing tickets to people not wearing their seat belts while in the line up. Worse part was they got pulled out of line while he wrote ticket and had a hard time getting back in.

Works for me

durrelllrobert - 5-30-2014 at 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Feathers
Loathing Tijuana, we always cross at Tecate, (now) religiously following the Sindacatura advice given several months back.

I think we can all agree that "enforcement" isn't about "safety". ;)