Old Mill

skippermike - 5-30-2014 at 05:50 AM

Great website!
Thanks for sharing.

jodiego - 5-30-2014 at 08:30 AM

It looks like there is no longer a restaurant on the site. Too bad

tripledigitken - 5-30-2014 at 08:43 AM

jodiego,

The restaurant is still there. It has always been owned by others (last 20 years at least). It is currently owned by the Los Pinos family and is worth trying, we had an excellent meal there last month. It is called Molino Viejo.

durrelllrobert - 5-30-2014 at 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
jodiego,

The restaurant is still there. It has always been owned by others (last 20 years at least). It is currently owned by the Los Pinos family and is worth trying, we had an excellent meal there last month. It is called Molino Viejo.

No name change there. Molino Viejo = Old Mill

tripledigitken - 5-30-2014 at 12:03 PM

Thanks Bob.

BajaRun - 5-30-2014 at 12:57 PM

They should open a small taco stand at the hotel. Another option for visitors to the hotel that want a quick bite to eat and a cold cerveza. Fishermen Moto guys and tired travelers sometimes want the ease of a simple quick meal vs the sit down at restaurant

redhilltown - 5-30-2014 at 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRun
They should open a small taco stand at the hotel. Another option for visitors to the hotel that want a quick bite to eat and a cold cerveza. Fishermen Moto guys and tired travelers sometimes want the ease of a simple quick meal vs the sit down at restaurant

Now THIS is a good idea!!!!!

BajaRob - 5-31-2014 at 06:21 AM

It is not just the website that has changed. We took 34 of our Baja Buds there the first part of April for four days. Jim and Nancy have retired and it is now run by Javier. He has replaced mattresses, bedding, pillows and much more. He was a great host and even went to town to pick up stuff for our group. The restaurant was inconsistant and not up to the Rodrigues brothers standards. We took most of our meals at Jardines and Guiermo and Carmen set the restaurant up special for us. We feasted on oysters from the oyster farms and crab claws provided by Javier in the courtyard. Cannot say enough good about this place.

susaninlapaz - 5-31-2014 at 06:42 AM

And there is also my personal favorite next door, Don Eddie's. Leo is a great chef, Carmen is a great bartender, and some of the long-time visitors/residents with RVs there are helping Don Eddie's son make the place more user-friendly, especially for English-speakers. Same kidney-killing road as Molino Viejo (actually, a very good road, relatively speaking!), just turn right before you plunge into the bay...

55steve - 5-31-2014 at 06:43 AM

Did you still get a welcoming Pacifico?

BajaRob - 5-31-2014 at 07:04 AM

Asolutely, Javier had 2 cases on ice when we arrived. He and I put names on room keys and the check in process was a breeze.

willardguy - 5-31-2014 at 07:46 AM

the big question, has Javier taken down that god awful fence yet?

Cliffy - 5-31-2014 at 09:08 AM

Question-
I heard the Old Mill had some connection with the airport and a shade covered aircraft parking for use by guests if they fly in- is it true?

David K - 5-31-2014 at 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRob
It is not just the website that has changed. We took 34 of our Baja Buds there the first part of April for four days. Jim and Nancy have retired and it is now run by Javier. He has replaced mattresses, bedding, pillows and much more. He was a great host and even went to town to pick up stuff for our group. The restaurant was inconsistant and not up to the Rodrigues brothers standards. We took most of our meals at Jardines and Guiermo and Carmen set the restaurant up special for us. We feasted on oysters from the oyster farms and crab claws provided by Javier in the courtyard. Cannot say enough good about this place.

Sounds like a blast!

BajaRob - 5-31-2014 at 12:41 PM

Unfortunately the fence is still there. It wasn't as bad as we had suspected.

Bajahowodd - 5-31-2014 at 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRob

But Guillermos' s daughter Esmeralda and her husband Carlos operate the restaurant last I knew.

Marinero - 6-1-2014 at 06:18 AM

Pet Friendly? If so, any extra charge for a dog?

rts551 - 6-1-2014 at 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marinero

I called and they said yes...pet friendly.

Marinero - 6-1-2014 at 08:18 AM

Great! Thank you.

Bajahowodd - 6-1-2014 at 05:01 PM

First of all, is anyone certain that the Los Pinos folks didn't buy this place?

The good news is that when they took over some of the La Pinta properties, they absolutely upgraded the dining including bringing in new chefs.

tripledigitken - 6-1-2014 at 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd

The good news is that when they took over some of the La Pinta properties, they absolutely upgraded the dining including bringing in new chefs.

Bajahowodd,

I spoke with the waiter last year about the new owners, (Los Pinos), and he confirmed that. In fact "senior Pinos" had just been there entertaining a party. They have installed outdoor artwork and opened a museum as well. By the way, the free appetizer was a cherry tomato salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. :spingrin:

The menu is new. As I said previously we enjoyed our dinner there. The night we were there in April they had a guy playing a piano in the dining room.

Did I miss someone questioning who the owners were? I guess you are asking if Los Pinos bought the hotel as well? I would say no because the website has no mention of the other hotel properties or the Molino Viejo.

Ken

[Edited on 6-2-2014 by tripledigitken]

Bajahowodd - 6-2-2014 at 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd,

I spoke with the waiter last year about the new owners, (Los Pinos), and he confirmed that. In fact "senior Pinos" had just been there entertaining a party. They have installed outdoor artwork and opened a museum as well. By the way, the free appetizer was a cherry tomato salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. :spingrin:

The menu is new. As I said previously we enjoyed our dinner there. The night we were there in April they had a guy playing a piano in the dining room.

Did I miss someone questioning who the owners were? I guess you are asking if Los Pinos bought the hotel as well? I would say no because the website has no mention of the other hotel properties or the Molino Viejo.

Ken

[Edited on 6-2-2014 by tripledigitken]

Just wondering inasmuch as the Los Pinos boys have been on a hotel buying spree.

David K - 6-2-2014 at 07:55 PM

Their name is Rodriguez... Los Pinos is the tomato farm they own.

MILLBAJA - 6-4-2014 at 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marinero

pet frindle. no extra charge.