BajaNomad

Isla Magdalena Visit

peterb - 5-30-2014 at 10:30 AM

One of the high points of the most recent trip to Baja was a visit to Isla Magdalena. I'm a botanist working on a PhD on the plant conservation biology, endemism and biogeography of Baja and I have always wanted to get out to Magdalena. The island features at least 7 species of cacti (and one Agave) endemic or almost endemic to the island. I was not able to make arrangements for the boat ride out there before this trip for a variety of reasons.

I highly recommend Marcos Crispin at Magdalena Bay Whales for the transportation. Great customer service, lots of info on the bay and reasonable rates. Marcos is in the process of building a fancy eco-camping spot on the island's bay shore, with a large palapa, kitchen, bar, raised tents, etc.

Once out there, I had a one of a kind experience in total solitude, hiking and exploring. The way up onto the high volcanic ridges of the island results in spectacular views. The hike out along the sandy road to Bahia Santa Maria is awesome as well.

peterb

[Edited on 5-30-2014 by peterb]

shari - 5-30-2014 at 10:41 AM

Hola Peter and welcome to the forum. Thanks for the report on the island & we look forward to more posts from you...particularly about things in your field. Do you have any photos to share of your trip?

Mexitron - 5-30-2014 at 11:25 AM

Hey Peter, its me, Steve Mudge...Mexitron is my moniker here. Posting your pics here would be great---not too many folks get out to Magdalena. Best to post links to photos, as in a Photobucket account, as the limit for posting directly here is quite small.

Udo - 5-31-2014 at 12:20 PM

Sure would be outstanding if you posted some photos, Peter.

If you have difficulties (I fail to see how, since you are working on a PHD), but DavidK has had several threads on posting photos to and from Photobucket.

Kgryfon - 5-31-2014 at 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Sure would be outstanding if you posted some photos, Peter.

If you have difficulties (I fail to see how, since you are working on a PHD), but DavidK has had several threads on posting photos to and from Photobucket.

Not being snarky (well, maybe just a teeny bit, but in good humor), but just because someone has a great education/skill set in one area doesn't mean they automagically have knowledge in other areas. I'm sure we all know plenty of people that are great at one, or several, things and pretty much clueless in other areas. I know I fit that bill! Not sure a PhD in botany translates to computer savvy. Doesn't mean the OP isn't a computer whiz, either, of course. ;D

bill erhardt - 5-31-2014 at 05:43 PM

Quote:

I highly recommend Marcos Crispin at Magdalena Bay Whales for the transportation. Great customer service, lots of info on the bay and reasonable rates. Marcos is in the process of building a fancy eco-camping spot on the island's bay shore, with a large palapa, kitchen, bar, raised tents, etc.

peterb

[Edited on 5-30-2014 by peterb]

Not fancy, but Bob Hoyt, Mag Bay Outfitters, also has casitas on the island at Bahia Santa Maria now that are available year round for fishermen, or others. Steve Warren, Mag Bay Tours, also has run a camp for years during the fall for surfers near Cabo San Lazarro at the mouth of the bay. So, if you don't need fancy and just want to see the island and what it offers on an overnight trip, you can do it right now.

peterb - 6-16-2014 at 12:21 PM

Thanks for the replies all. I will have to get clean out my old photobucket account and get that up and running again, as I reached max capacity with cactus photos several years ago. Will ink to Mag Bay pics and more when I get a minute to do that. Back to grant writing for me. :-)

peterb

PS, hi Steve

N2Baja - 6-16-2014 at 01:10 PM

Looking forward to your pictures as soon as you're able!:yes:

p.s. welcome to the board!