BajaNomad

today's tecate crossing....yer busted!!!

mulegemichael - 5-30-2014 at 03:19 PM

so....for the first time in over 30 years i was busted with too much booze in my vehicle this morning at the tecate crossing...they were pulling EVERY vehicle over in the hour or so i was there paying my "tax"....not one car southbound was waved through....anyway, they waved me into the little slot to inspect me and although i had all kinds of "contraband" onboard, they focused on the alcohol....i had stopped at the ol "liquor barn" in redding on my way down, and, as usual, purchased as much beverage as i could fit in my car....my inspector told me that we can only bring 2 liters south,(and i had understood it was 4 liters), and that i would have to pay tax on the others.....he then asked me how much it had cost me in the states...so i was able to name my own price...and i was conservative...they then charged me, get this, 90% tax on the overage.....whew!....still, with my conservative estimates, i got away cheap and i have my OWN brand of goodies down here....and they didn't find the occassional bottle that was lingering in spaces in back....it was time for me to pay; i've been lucky for a long time...they were very nice and we discussed a couple of bottles of boutique vodka i brought down.(purity vodka from sweden is the BEST vodka you will ever consume, bar none)...so....consuming some of same at jardines in san quintin as we speak!....on my way to mulege for the annual dorado tourney with my amigos....salute!

woody with a view - 5-30-2014 at 04:18 PM

i'll be sure to stash our multiple 30 packs and ta-kill-ya well.

T minus 4 daze and a wake up!!!!!:bounce:

edit: 4

[Edited on 6-1-2014 by woody with a view]

seagar - 5-30-2014 at 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
so....for the first time in over 30 years i was busted with too much booze in my vehicle this morning at the tecate crossing...they were pulling EVERY vehicle over in the hour or so i was there paying my "tax"....not one car southbound was waved through....anyway, they waved me into the little slot to inspect me and although i had all kinds of "contraband" onboard, they focused on the alcohol....i had stopped at the ol "liquor barn" in redding on my way down, and, as usual, purchased as much beverage as i could fit in my car....my inspector told me that we can only bring 2 liters south,(and i had understood it was 4 liters), and that i would have to pay tax on the others.....he then asked me how much it had cost me in the states...so i was able to name my own price...and i was conservative...they then charged me, get this, 90% tax on the overage.....whew!....still, with my conservative estimates, i got away cheap and i have my OWN brand of goodies down here....and they didn't find the occassional bottle that was lingering in spaces in back....it was time for me to pay; i've been lucky for a long time...they were very nice and we discussed a couple of bottles of boutique vodka i brought down.(purity vodka from sweden is the BEST vodka you will ever consume, bar none)...so....consuming some of same at jardines in san quintin as we speak!....on my way to mulege for the annual dorado tourney with my amigos....salute!

Out of curiosity, what time did you cross going south?

mulegemichael - 5-30-2014 at 04:53 PM

around 8:30 - 9:00....mas y manos.....every single car was being pulled over.....NEVER ever have i seen this before....must be newbies getting indoctrinated!!!....they were VERY nice, whatever that means....i still got busted!!

durrelllrobert - 5-30-2014 at 05:27 PM

??90% duty on excess booze? They won't let you pay duty on excess cigarettes, they just confiscate them. Maybe they guys working there are heavy smokers but don't drink?

Pescador - 5-31-2014 at 07:15 AM

Geez Michael, I think I had better check out the Mulege tournament if two liters of rocket fuel is not sufficient to get you through the tourney, I am figuring that the Mulege boys may have discovered the secret to a really great tourney.

BajaBlanca - 5-31-2014 at 07:46 AM

You sure seem to have taken it in stride. Great attitude!

bajalearner - 5-31-2014 at 07:52 AM

If they stopped everyone and where able to collect considerable tax, I am guessing they will do it moreoften....maybe like all the time.

ncampion - 5-31-2014 at 08:20 AM

You know they do sell liquor down here, maybe the imported brands are a little more expensive, but it's here and no need to haul/smuggle it.

mannings - 5-31-2014 at 08:21 AM

Figures that ^ that post is number 666.
;)

Udo - 5-31-2014 at 12:24 PM

Jana and I generally take about 6 bottles of wine down with us, when we cross at Tecate.
But we generally get across at about 6:30-7:30 a.m.

mulegemichael - 5-31-2014 at 01:49 PM

ncampion....yer in loreto, i'm in mulege....big, big difference..AND, no, for the beverages that i like, it can not be found in loreto either...so i roll the dice; who cares?....i'm a happy guy.....now, a tip on two of my favorites that i discovered a few months ago, first "purity vodka" which i previously mentioned..i keep a fifth in the freezer all the time...second, "camerena silver tequila" which i also keep a fifth in the freezer all the time...try them, either one, and you won't regret it....AND, i brought a kegerator down this time so i can have 32 degree draft modelo in my dining room....stop by for a cold one!....and they didn't even tax the kegerator!!

Bajahowodd - 5-31-2014 at 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ncampion
You know they do sell liquor down here, maybe the imported brands are a little more expensive, but it's here and no need to haul/smuggle it.

And the cigarettes are cheaper SOB.

TMW - 5-31-2014 at 06:26 PM

I had a similar thing happen in April at Tecate. I had a cooler full of my favorite malt liquor and they stopped me and was looking everything over and asked if I had beer in the cooler and I said yes. He then asked how many so quickly I said a six pack. They let me go. I actually had 15 hurricanes 25 oz cans. The cooler was so full of ice you couldn't see them and it was hard packed.

JZ - 5-31-2014 at 06:48 PM

I always bring beer down that you can't get in Mexico, particularly in the winter. Summer time Pacifico's are great.

We just put them out of sight. I always wondered what they would do.

durrelllrobert - 5-31-2014 at 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Quote:
Originally posted by ncampion

And the cigarettes are cheaper SOB.

But not as cheap as the duty free stores before you cross.

Whale-ista - 5-31-2014 at 10:31 PM

re: kegerator- please post directions to the dining room!

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
ncampion....yer in loreto, i'm in mulege....big, big difference..AND, no, for the beverages that i like, it can not be found in loreto either...so i roll the dice; who cares?....i'm a happy guy.....now, a tip on two of my favorites that i discovered a few months ago, first "purity vodka" which i previously mentioned..i keep a fifth in the freezer all the time...second, "camerena silver tequila" which i also keep a fifth in the freezer all the time...try them, either one, and you won't regret it....AND, i brought a kegerator down this time so i can have 32 degree draft modelo in my dining room....stop by for a cold one!....and they didn't even tax the kegerator!!

Hook - 5-31-2014 at 11:10 PM

That's complete BS on the quantities. It's definitely 3 liters of hard liquor and 6 liters of wine, PER PERSON!!! I can't find the actual SAT/Aduana link right now, but that IS the rule, according to the letter of the law. Do a search and you will find many references to it on the 'net.

I have even asked Aduana officials TWICE about this while being inspected and they confirmed it. I've shown them that exact quantity and they've let it pass.

Now, I may have had a little more stashed around elsewhere..........:saint:

Tecate sure likes to play it fast and loose with the letter of the law, it seems. It's another shakedown, unless the law has changed very recently.

Udo - 6-1-2014 at 11:12 AM

Jana and I generally take about 6 bottles of wine down with us, when we cross at Tecate.
But we generally get across at about 6:30-7:30 a.m.