BajaNomad

Cruzando La Baja

Pappy Jon - 6-3-2014 at 12:13 PM

I love bicycling. I love Baja. Can anybody tell me something about this event? The website is in Spanish, and I no comprendo. Can gringos come out and play?

Cruzando la Baja MTB

[Edited on 6-3-2014 by Pappy Jon]

David K - 6-3-2014 at 05:53 PM

Hi Jon... it is from Rosarito (the one south of Punta Prieta) to L.A. Bay, via San Borja. They have done it before, I thing every year now?

PS: Google Chrome automatically translates web pages to English, and spell checks everything you type... nice!

Here is some date:

TYPES OF RECORD
≈ offer two types of registry. Before completing the registration form, carefully read the details of each package and fill out the form choose the best option for you. ≈
TE INCLUDES:

Logistics version e-Book and PDF.
Commemorative Event T ≈.
Payment of garbage collection in Mision San Borja.
Number of Participant.
ride vinyl decal.
Identification Bracelet (is your pass to eat in San Borja. stir not until after the event!).
Food and hydration in Mission San Borja.
First Aid (Rescue Alpha)
Party with live music to celebrate the goal.

SINGLE RECORD
$ 30.00 USD
SIGN COMBO-BUFFET
$ 43.00 USD
TE INCLUDES:

Logistics version e-Book and PDF.
Commemorative Event T ;.
Payment of garbage collection in Mision San Borja.
Number of Participant.
ride vinyl decal.
Identification Bracelet (is your pass to eat in San Borja and Buffet. stir not until after the event!).
Food and hydration in Mission San Borja.
First Aid (Rescue Alpha)
Party with live music to celebrate the goal.
** BUFFET to reach the goal in Guillermos. **

[Edited on 6-4-2014 by David K]

bajabound2005 - 6-3-2014 at 09:18 PM

i can tell you ALL about in english...tomorrow! done it 4 times...sort of :)

bajabound2005 - 6-4-2014 at 07:41 AM

The ride is on MTB from just south of Nuevo Rosarito (just north of the Baja Sur/Baja Calif state line) to Bahia de Los Angeles via San Borja (68 miles). Bring all of your own gear and food. Day 1 is driving to the start point where we camp (dry camping) overnight on the Pacific side. The next morning, everyone is up by 6:00 to get ready and have a bite to eat. Wheels hit the road about 8:00. The first several miles are on the paved highway, Mex 1, to the turn off in Nuevo Rosarito to San Borja. San Borja is the rest stop and lunch. Then continue on to the highway to Bahia de Los Angeles. The last several miles on on the highway. Rides ends at Guillermo's in BOLA. The following day is for R&R. All expenses are on your own.

It's not a ride that requires any technical skill but it does require endurance and stamina. It gets darn hot out there in the desert. I made it a little more than half way the first 2 years I did it. The heat just does me in and riding on washboard makes your whole body hurt (but then, I'm a roadie not a MTBer). Last year, a friend and I did it via the highway the entire way (quite a bit more distance-84 miles) and we both finished, no problem. This year --- well, we totally had the dates messed up and arrived just as the rest of the group was finishing the ride! The dates are usually around Mexican Labor Day so they can take advantage of the holiday.

I do have a complete logistics document in English (and Spanish). If anyone is interested in that, PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you. Website is http://www.cruzandolabajamtb.com/ and is in Spanish. the organizers, Rene and Aileen are both bilingual and live in the San Francisco area.

Udo - 6-4-2014 at 08:04 AM

I can see that this is one of those rides that physical conditioning would be essential. Plus you'll be on the pedals rather than sitting on the seat for the majority of the ride.
I applaud you for even attempting this ride, Kathleen!

Pappy Jon - 6-4-2014 at 08:30 PM

How do you shuttle from Nuevo Rosarito and BOLA? 68 miles of MTB is a long ride. I'm generally good for 4-5 hours in the saddle. The longest MTB ride I do is a 40 mile ride with 2300 ft of elevation gain at 8000-9000 elevation.

I might have to consider this. I just wish it wasn't so close calendar wise to the Iron Horse Bike Classic.

bajaguy - 6-4-2014 at 08:34 PM

You need a chase/rescue vehicle and a support team

Quote:
Originally posted by Pappy Jon
How do you shuttle from Nuevo Rosarito and BOLA? 68 miles of MTB is a long ride. I'm generally good for 4-5 hours in the saddle. The longest MTB ride I do is a 40 mile ride with 2300 ft of elevation gain at 8000-9000 elevation.

I might have to consider this. I just wish it wasn't so close calendar wise to the Iron Horse Bike Classic.