BajaNomad

Catavina rumor mill

MMc - 6-4-2014 at 07:54 PM

I picked up a Ensenada cop last week while heading south. We talked as best we could between his English and my bad Spanish it was fun. I now know where the turn off for the big pot bust is and were the big narco guy lives. It kinda shook me up when I found out he was carting bullets with him. We did clear the inspections pretty fast, but it was south bound.

He said that the hotel will be selling gas in about 6 months. It seams they plan on putting the small guys out of business.

I did ask about Jerry Patton, and he said he didn't know anything. It could be he didn't know,or he didn't want to say. I think he's a smart enough guy to keep his mouth shut when talking to strangers.

EnsenadaDr - 6-4-2014 at 08:01 PM

Of course he didn't know anything, because there is no Jerry Patton.
Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
I picked up a Ensenada cop last week while heading south. We talked as best we could between his English and my bad Spanish it was fun. I now know where the turn off for the big pot bust is and were the big narco guy lives. It kinda shook me up when I found out he was carting bullets with him. We did clear the inspections pretty fast, but it was south bound.

He said that the hotel will be selling gas in about 6 months. It seams they plan on putting the small guys out of business.

I did ask about Jerry Patton, and he said he didn't know anything. It could be he didn't know,or he didn't want to say. I think he's a smart enough guy to keep his mouth shut when talking to strangers.

MMc - 6-4-2014 at 08:26 PM

Thank you doc, I do believe you know what I intended to say. It's been a long day. I did ask about Gary too...

The important thing is, there is a rumor a gas station, that's the point of this message.

[Edited on 6-5-2014 by MMc]

EnsenadaDr - 6-4-2014 at 08:45 PM

Ok but I think more importantly it would be nice to know where the Narco boss and the drug complex is so we can avoid it...in case others have met their fate there unknowingly. A map might suffice.
Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
Thank you doc, I do believe you know what I intended to say. It's been a long day. I did ask about Gary too...

The important thing is, there is a rumor a gas station, that's the point of this message.

David K - 6-4-2014 at 09:34 PM

It was well discussed here back when it happened... near San Agustin (the abandoned gas station/ maintenance camp) is as close as we could guess.

Bajaboy - 6-4-2014 at 09:34 PM

Great news/speculation...especially for those of us who have actually been to Catavina...thanks!

EnsenadaDr - 6-4-2014 at 09:49 PM

well I didn't hear any of it if so it could be Gary fell victim to the crossfire between the pot growers and the narco king.

gnukid - 6-4-2014 at 10:56 PM

Dr, enough, please.

MMc - 6-4-2014 at 11:00 PM

The pot farm is dead and gone, there is no reason to to go down that road and it has a gate. The narco is up north and it's a very big house that can be seen from the road. Dr. have you ever been been south by road?

If I thought these places posed a issue to travelers, I would be spewing all that I could.(lawyers, guns and money, police) They are not, your are taking this thread down a road of your own little world. Leave it, I was trying to let this board what the hot rumor is in Catavina. That is all.

If you think Baja is without risk, DO NOT GO!!! If you do go, except the risk and all that goes with it.
Those that have skin in the game get it, those of us that pass through it should do so with respect and humility, with our head on a swivel.

micah202 - 6-4-2014 at 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
well I didn't hear any of it if so it could be Gary fell victim to the crossfire between the pot growers and the narco king.

....maybe a good place to camp? ;D

shari - 6-5-2014 at 07:21 AM

Going through Catavinia last week, I heard that same rumour about the gas station opening...and from a very reliable source...the rumour mill is alive and well then and lets hope the new gas station will be too.

David K - 6-5-2014 at 07:39 AM

The hotel re-opened the pump (on their side of the highway) once before... even had a new pump installed... it lasted less time than the original pump there.

Maybe they will revive the gas station across the street? There used to be lines of cars to buy gas at it... I took a photo when I first bought gas there, April, 1974.

apple - 6-5-2014 at 07:58 AM

Where do the locals get gas there? From the small time guys on the side of the road?
It must be such a constant struggle for them the townspeople and nearby ranchers

David K - 6-5-2014 at 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by apple
Where do the locals get gas there? From the small time guys on the side of the road?
It must be such a constant struggle for them the townspeople and nearby ranchers

The gasoline in Cataviņa comes from the Baja Cactus Pemex in El Rosario, 76 miles away. The independent vendors buy their gas in El Rosario and add about $1.50/ gallon to the Pemex price for their efforts.

apple - 6-5-2014 at 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
The independent vendors buy their gas in El Rosario and add about $1.50/ gallon to the Pemex price for their efforts.

So, like 5 pesos per liter? That sounds worth it for all the gas they must save not driving back and forth to the station!
That 150 mile round trip would use almost two thirds of the gas in my Jeep's tank

Bob H - 6-5-2014 at 08:12 AM

Quote:

Maybe they will revive the gas station across the street? There used to be lines of cars to buy gas at it... I took a photo when I first bought gas there, April, 1974.

That would be an interesting photo to see David !

shari - 6-5-2014 at 08:20 AM

most ranchers and people who dont live near gas stations have barrels for gas. They get the gas at a station and fill their vehicles from the barrels

MMc - 6-5-2014 at 08:26 AM

We use to see cars and mohos lined-up waiting for the truck to refuel the station. Always hated to see the moho caravans at a Pemex, they could suck a station dry. Times have changed...

micah202 - 6-5-2014 at 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
We use to see cars and mohos lined-up waiting for the truck to refuel the station. Always hated to see the moho caravans at a Pemex, they could suck a station dry. Time have changed...

....have they?
...the supply chain is actually pretty fragile ,,,it wouldn't take much of an event to see those lines,and much worse reappear!

MMc - 6-5-2014 at 11:32 AM

There are so many more stations now, they supply is better over all, but a very good point micah202. I remember the long lines of the 70's in USA.
Quote:
Originally posted by micah202
Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
We use to see cars and mohos lined-up waiting for the truck to refuel the station. Always hated to see the moho caravans at a Pemex, they could suck a station dry. Time have changed...

....have they?
...the supply chain is actually pretty fragile ,,,it wouldn't take much of an event to see those lines,and much worse reappear!

motoged - 6-5-2014 at 11:43 AM

Several years ago I waited a day for gas in San Ignacio....Pemex was dry....

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
There are so many more stations now, they supply is better over all, but a very good point micah202. I remember the long lines of the 70's in USA.
Quote:
Originally posted by micah202
Quote:
Originally posted by MMc

....have they?

bufeo - 6-5-2014 at 12:17 PM

Getting gas in Baja prior to the paved road south was always an adventure.

Allen R

[Edited on 6-5-2014 by bufeo]

mulegejim - 6-5-2014 at 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bufeo
Getting gas in Baja prior to the paved road south was always an adventure.

Allen R

[Edited on 6-5-2014 by bufeo]

Even after it was paved if a station was open and had gas you would top off just in case. Also, whoever mentioned the RVs was right on...one of those caravans could drain a Pemex station dry real quick.

EnsenadaDr - 6-5-2014 at 01:10 PM

I'd never give a guy a ride with a loaded gun and ammo but maybe that is my US mentality.
Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
The pot farm is dead and gone, there is no reason to to go down that road and it has a gate. The narco is up north and it's a very big house that can be seen from the road. Dr. have you ever been been south by road?

If I thought these places posed a issue to travelers, I would be spewing all that I could.(lawyers, guns and money, police) They are not, your are taking this thread down a road of your own little world. Leave it, I was trying to let this board what the hot rumor is in Catavina. That is all.

If you think Baja is without risk, DO NOT GO!!! If you do go, except the risk and all that goes with it.
Those that have skin in the game get it, those of us that pass through it should do so with respect and humility, with our head on a swivel.

jbcoug - 6-5-2014 at 01:16 PM

Quote:
I'd never give a guy a ride with a loaded gun and ammo but maybe that is my US mentality.[quote

If he wanted you to, you would probably give him a ride. A man with a loaded gun can be very persuasive.

[Edited on 6-5-2014 by jbcoug]

chuckie - 6-5-2014 at 01:17 PM

What are you smoking now doc? Where anywhere did this thread say anything about a loaded gun? Have YOU ever driven south of Ensenada? Ever?

One can hope

bajaguy - 6-5-2014 at 01:17 PM

That they put in an OXXO or a 7/11 also

EnsenadaDr - 6-5-2014 at 01:28 PM

He was carting bullets with him, I assume in a gun. But could be he had a baggie with bullets in them.
Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
What are you smoking now doc? Where anywhere did this thread say anything about a loaded gun? Have YOU ever driven south of Ensenada? Ever?

MMc - 6-5-2014 at 02:59 PM

Doc. this is really about GAS, Please don't take it off course. Some of us think that having a permanent source there is really a good idea. There is gas available all over that area if you ask around, but it is from drums. I have always felt bad about making somebody travel on my behalf.

You have picked apart everything but the gas. if you don't have anything add about gas please don't post or start your own thread.

motoged - 6-5-2014 at 03:14 PM

Quote:
I'd never give a guy a ride with a loaded gun and ammo but maybe that is my US mentality.

Oh, Doc.....you probably would if the gun was pressed against your head :biggrin:

....but then I am only speculating.....you can appreciate that, no?

[Edited on 6-5-2014 by motoged]

DianaT - 6-5-2014 at 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Several years ago I waited a day for gas in San Ignacio....Pemex was dry....

In the last few years, San Ignacio can be a bit problematic. More than once, we have found they without gas. We learned that when we arrive at San Ignacio, and the station is open, we fill up---- never wait until the next morning. :-)

The only thing I hate about a Pemex opening in a place like San Ignacio and other places is that it puts someone out of a job who has probably been in business for a long time.

BajaBlanca - 6-5-2014 at 03:27 PM

It would be a very good deal if gas were sold again at Catavina. I was cheated at the gas station once when coming south alone and rode on fumes right after Catavina until I finally saw a barrel.

OldSalt - 6-5-2014 at 03:32 PM

If the Doc would post a picture of herself at Catavina,(or anywhere south of Maneadero for that matter), her credibility would skyrocket. Well, that's probably a fizzle... The silence is deafening.

[Edited on 6-5-2014 by OldSalt]

chuckie - 6-5-2014 at 03:34 PM

+10

Bajahowodd - 6-5-2014 at 04:54 PM

I absolutely cannot imagine the reopening of a Pemex station in Catavina until. if it ever happens, they electrify the area. It makes little sense to have to pay for the fuel to power the pumps, as they are off the grid.

The Los Pinos folks did upgrade the generators at the hotel so they now provide power throughout all day. Much better than when you had to wait until 5pm to be able to turn on your room A/C. But, for the life of me, I do not understand why they did not install solar, given the local conditions.

willardguy - 6-5-2014 at 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
I absolutely cannot imagine the reopening of a Pemex station in Catavina until. if it ever happens, they electrify the area. It makes little sense to have to pay for the fuel to power the pumps, as they are off the grid.

The Los Pinos folks did upgrade the generators at the hotel so they now provide power throughout all day. Much better than when you had to wait until 5pm to be able to turn on your room A/C. But, for the life of me, I do not understand why they did not install solar, given the local conditions.
I fail to see the problem, you pull up for gas and the attendant fires up the generator, fills you up then shuts it down. exactly like they do in gonzaga bay. how hard is that?

Ateo - 6-5-2014 at 05:23 PM

Catavina is a great place for a fueling facility. NO FLOODING there, except for that arroyo south of town.

Ateo - 6-5-2014 at 05:37 PM

And here's the facility that they're probably talking about re-opening:

Two above ground storage (AST) tanks and 1 dispenser. One gas AST and 1 diesel AST? Or maybe one verde and one rojo? Or one could be for the generator for the hotel I guess................

[Edited on 6-6-2014 by Ateo]

Marc - 6-5-2014 at 06:07 PM

I remember when the station at Cataviņa was up and running. After it closed the guys at the hotel would sell me gas from the area near the employees dorm. Never did buy gas at their pump.

willardguy - 6-5-2014 at 06:11 PM

the local entrepreneurs would just buy all the gas and sell it out of barrels, whats gonna change?

Ateo - 6-5-2014 at 06:25 PM

What year did the Catavina station close? I seem to remember it being open in 1994 but I may have been hallucinating.

Cliffy - 6-5-2014 at 07:41 PM

It would be nice to have gas in Catavina. I remember when it did.
Hope they have a dependable supply. I do think they would do a
grand business if they had some gas there. Now the idea of the
OXXO ain't bad :-)Maybe a McDonalds would do good there too!

David K - 6-5-2014 at 07:44 PM

They do have gas at Cataviņa... it just isn't at a Pemex station. One thing nice, when you pay for 5 gallons (19 liters) you get the full jerry can, no cheating possible.

Cliffy - 6-5-2014 at 07:50 PM

OK I'll rephrase my post-
It would be nice to have a PEMEX GAS STATION in Catvina again :-)
I think they would do a grand business there.
Most NOB travelers are told there in not a ready supply there and most NOB travelers wouldn't want to use Jerrycans for gas. Just sayin!

BornFisher - 6-5-2014 at 08:16 PM

Ahhhh, a bunch of new comers!!!! Why I can remember when the only gas around those parts was aviation fuel at Santa Inez!! Kind of a secret stash.................. and boy my old Chevy truck never saw it coming!!! That truck took off down the highway and pulled into L.A. Bay in no time. Couldn`t hold her back, she was on fire and young again!!!

Cliffy - 6-5-2014 at 08:32 PM

New comer?????? New Comer??? I bought avgas at Santa Inez when I was flying down there in a Cessna 182 in the late 60s early 70s !!! New comer?? HAH! :-)

woody with a view - 6-5-2014 at 09:26 PM

don't you guys know GottaPeso was the driving force to close the Pemex in Catavina? he said the little guys would rise and rule the earth once more!

David K - 6-5-2014 at 11:17 PM

Av Gas was awesome to have compared to the old NOVA 79 octane stuff (or Gasomex before then)!

We put av gas in the Jeep at San Lucas Cove in '66 and I bought some in San Felipe in 1978 when the town ran out of Pemex on Memorial Day... both times it helped us 'fly' out of town!

chuckie - 6-6-2014 at 07:04 AM

Yeah, well..one time when there was no gas in Baja at all Strike? We syphoned avgas out of a wrecked plane and drove out of Baja...TOP THAT....

MulegeAL - 6-6-2014 at 07:39 AM

Chuckie,
I can't top that! And I can totally see you doing that.

Closest I can get is I went through about 5 trashed lawnmowers in a trailer-trash front yard for enough gas to get my bike out of the woods.

chuckie - 6-6-2014 at 07:49 AM

One of the advantages of having a diesel truck with a big tank, 35 gallons, is not having to worry so much about fuel. It would be nice to have gas at Catavinia tho, for those who need it....

paranewbi - 6-6-2014 at 08:02 AM

Years ago on way back from cape, Wife kids and I got to the closed station at BOLA turn off (or close by, don't know name of area). We weren't going to make it much farther in our VW bus so we went to the side and found that the access covers for the underground tanks weren't locked up.
We got a fishing pole out, cut the top off a soda can and tied it to the line...fished it down into the underground and started pulling up gas! Got a few gallons of Gas for security (transferred into plastic water jug then car tank). Took a while but left fun memories. OH, yea...add a sinker to the line to get the can to turn on it's side for filling...or it just sits on top of gas.

durrelllrobert - 6-6-2014 at 08:09 AM

Quote:
Av Gas was awesome to have compared to the old NOVA 79 octane stuff (or Gasomex before then)!

We put av gas in the Jeep at San Lucas Cove in '66 and I bought some in San Felipe in 1978 when the town ran out of Pemex on Memorial Day... both times it helped us 'fly' out of town!
Back in the 50s the "Flying A" stations in the US sold 100 octane gas for cars. When Ethyl gas (?octane?) was 25 cents a gallon the 100 octane was 35 cents so I didn't run it every day but always used it on Sundays for the drag races out at the old Paradise Valley strip.

motoged - 6-6-2014 at 10:03 AM

Quote:
Yeah, well..one time when there was no gas in Baja at all Strike? We syphoned avgas out of a wrecked plane and drove out of Baja...TOP THAT....

Ya....??? Well one time I siphoned gas out of my truck into a wrecked plane.....then flew IT out of Baja:lol::lol:

chuckie - 6-6-2014 at 10:21 AM

Hang on....Gotta go get my boots.....was it a Cessna?:rolleyes:

motoged - 6-6-2014 at 10:44 AM

Quote:

I dunno......

BornFisher - 6-6-2014 at 10:49 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I dunno......

Better get your boots on quick, grab a seat and get those boots off the ground!! Something is getting thick around here!!!

N2Baja - 6-6-2014 at 11:16 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Ya....??? Well one time I siphoned gas out of my truck into a wrecked plane.....then flew IT out of Baja:lol::lol:

Best post on BajaNomads ever!

chuckie - 6-6-2014 at 12:23 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hook - 6-6-2014 at 01:48 PM

Sorry, but, for my money, paranewbi's ingeniousness with the coke-can-well takes the cake. At least in the realm of reality..................motoged's aint real!

But motoged's response is classic Nomad one-up-manship!!!! A five-star post, fer sure!!

[Edited on 6-6-2014 by Hook]

motoged - 6-6-2014 at 01:58 PM

Dammit, Hook.....it's a six star post......:lol:

....and waddya mean by one-upmanship?????:coolup:

David K - 6-6-2014 at 04:13 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Hard landing!

Awchit (2)r.JPG - 29kB

chuckie - 6-6-2014 at 04:16 PM

Waas mi truck dude!

Bajahowodd - 6-6-2014 at 04:52 PM

I have to comment on a few posts that talked about getting to a Pemex, and finding they were out of gas. Inasmuch as all Pemex stations are independently owned, you can pretty much conclude that if you drive into a Pemex that is dry, it is because they didn't pay their bill.

Long gone are the days when stations were few and far between. The delivery system that uses both fuel brought from NOB and fuel brought in at La Paz and maybe Santa Rosalia.

So especially with the San Ignacio station, if they are out of gas, it is a problem of their own making.

motoged - 6-6-2014 at 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
..... if they are out of gas, it is a problem of their own making.

I agree.....but that still won't put gas in my tank ;D

As time goes on, the price of precious commodities will only go up...and as a "motorized transport appreciator", I like to find a filling station with supplies on hand. I am thrilled as I can be to find a rancho or whatever with gerry cans, bleach bottles, coke bottles or whatever with gas in Baja when I need gas ....

Yep, the supply chain is improving in Baja as are the roads....such is "progress". :cool:

Cliffy - 6-6-2014 at 05:42 PM

I b-tched when avgas went to 80 cents per gallon. The horror of it all! Can't remember what it was at Rancho Santa Inez.
Had a friend "liberate" a Piper Navajo from the Feds in Baja in the early 70s. It folded the nose gear and bent the props. The gear was pried out and held in place with a 2x4 and bailing wire and towed to the side where it was "under guard" 24/7. He got 2 props from me and a new battery and flew down on Cinco de Mayo in a 210 with another pilot. As the guard was celebrating that night he changed the props and installed the battery and took off for Van Nuys CA (didn't stop at the border). The guard ran out, let the air out of a tire on the 210 and told the other pilot he had a VERY BIG PROBLEM! Asking how much this problem was going to cost he was told $300. He related that all he had was $230 and the response was? "That is enough senior! With that the pilot was handed a bicycle pump which he used to fill the tire and took off for parts north. The Navajo sat at VNY for months with Customs stickers all over it.

Bubba - 6-7-2014 at 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Dr, enough, please.

Thank you.

Marc - 6-8-2014 at 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
What year did the Catavina station close? I seem to remember it being open in 1994 but I may have been hallucinating.

I think '94 was the last year. After that a tire shop for a while.