BajaNomad

After 4 days of 60 (random musings edition)

mannings - 6-5-2014 at 10:56 AM

Loved Shell Island.. had to go down to 15psi.

Found over 200 sand dollars in about an hour.

----

My kids wanted to roast marshmallows in 95 degree weather.
I obliged..

----

The south campos are deserted.. not to our surprise.

----

I have found that you cannot buy camarones o calimares para la pesca in the south campos.. must make yet another trip to Mr. Fish, I guess.

----

Ate at one of the little restaurants in the poblado today. Was okay. Will eat there again. I haven't been to Chelo's but plan to tomorrow... (ha.. no actual planning here).

----

Sunsets are awesome.

----

It's hot and getting hotter.

4 of the 5 kids.

[Edited on 6-5-2014 by mannings]

mannings - 6-5-2014 at 10:59 AM

bajaguy - 6-5-2014 at 12:36 PM

The place next to Chelo's is not bad. When we were there the little grocery store had dinners on Thursday (I think) nights...........they are the only games in "town"

We bought shrimp (pretty good ones) off of a truck next to the boardwalk in town........There is also a fresh fruit/vegetable stand across from the Calimax on Tuesdays (I think)

Also a great bakery. At the traffic circle by the Pemex make a half circle (kinda go straight) and take Ave Mar Caribe Norte.....about 4 or 5 blocks down on your left.......killer stuff....try the apple fritters

Quote:
Originally posted by mannings
Loved Shell Island.. had to go down to 15psi.

Found over 200 sand dollars in about an hour.

----

My kids wanted to roast marshmallows in 95 degree weather.
I obliged..

----

The south campos are deserted.. not to our surprise.

----

I have found that you cannot buy camarones o calimares para la pesca in the south campos.. must make yet another trip to Mr. Fish, I guess.

----

Ate at one of the little restaurants in the poblado today. Was okay. Will eat there again. I haven't been to Chelo's but plan to tomorrow... (ha.. no actual planning here).

----

Sunsets are awesome.

----

It's hot and getting hotter.

4 of the 5 kids.

[Edited on 6-5-2014 by mannings]

[Edited on 6-5-2014 by bajaguy]

mannings - 6-18-2014 at 05:16 PM

We've been hanging out at the little locals hangout (basically a lean-to with a broken down truck) in the Poblado. It's next to the autoservicios mis amazones (sp?).

I only mention it because it's funny as hell rolling up with my wife, neither of us speaking Spanish, and communicating with sign language (and a bit of spanglish).

Good guys though.

It's HOT.

I busted a shock tower mount (or whatever it's called) and the guys made me a new one, put it on, and then asked me for $6. (lol)

I gave them a benjamin, gladly.

Tomorrow we're likely heading to Matomi wash and explore a bit up there. I also heard there's a shell midden at Campo Cristina (right next to the Matomi arroyo) and may look around for arrowheads or something.

Hope all you Nomads are relaxed and living well.

David K - 6-18-2014 at 08:18 PM

Thank for the update... Glad you are enjoying the sites. I saw 'Chick' today (from El Vergel) at my mission book lecture. He's the one that took us to the fossil beds I think I told you about. Like other 'locals', he comes north for the summer months.

mannings - 6-18-2014 at 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Thank for the update... Glad you are enjoying the sites. I saw 'Chick' today (from El Vergel) at my mission book lecture. He's the one that took us to the fossil beds I think I told you about. Like other 'locals', he comes north for the summer months.

Wish I could hear your speaking. I love the history and particularly Spanish history.

Hook - 6-18-2014 at 08:44 PM

OMG, you gave them a US Benjamin for a six dollar repair?

You should have no trouble finding someone to drive to SF to get you shrimp, at this point. Has the line begun forming yet? :lol:

mannings - 6-18-2014 at 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
OMG, you gave them a US Benjamin for a six dollar repair?

You should have no trouble finding someone to drive to SF to get you shrimp, at this point. Has the line begun forming yet? :lol:

Ha.. I've seen the 'line' in town, but so far have noticed things work a little better in the south campos.

David K - 6-18-2014 at 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mannings
Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Wish I could hear your speaking. I love the history and particularly Spanish history.

We have two lectures planned in July (so far): Discover Baja Travel Club in San Diego at an auditorium to be named, and Temecula Valley Historical Society. More later in the year, as well.