BajaNomad

San Felipe, South Campo Style

El Vergel - 6-5-2014 at 12:26 PM

Greetings Nomads! Twice last month I visited San Felipe and a South Campo to enjoy the spaces and places. What a reward! The 400 mile six hour drive from home in Santa Monica to fish tacos on the Malecon via the Salton Sea route (hundreds of feet below Sea level) was uneventful even in 95-101 degree heat. First stop in San Felipe has always been Bar Miramar. After some refreshment and cruising the strand for compechanas and tacos, I wandered about enjoying music, dancing, old and new SF, paid some dues at the shrine and took in the beauty of town.

A Photobucket slideshow link has more images: http://s1227.photobucket.com/user/studiovsa/slideshow/El%20V...

I had a date planned for my visit. My Campo was hosting a fiesta fundraiser and I was invited. The 35 kilometer drive south of town past beautiful Punta Estrella was cake in comparison to 35 years ago when there was no pavement. Now this road goes forever! I rolled in to find my fish shack in relatively good condition in as much as it had been a long time since my last visit. The good news were Panguero’s camped in my front yard!

From the Casita I walked to the Poblado (Colonia Delicias) through the old airport (closed). This Community is all good with everything including markets, restaurants, entertainment, a doctor’s clinic, a nopales garden, a community center, a weather station, a church, schools, the police department and water to be delivered, construction materials, etc.

Afterwards I took to the playa with my caguama and found bliss. Crawling back to the shack after hours of sun and tecate(s), the Panguero‘s laughed at my condition and presented me with fresh Corbina and shark fillets. I was grateful and appreciated the food as it was a lot to eat. I cleaned up and sautéed fish for dinner then watched the bats come out. Passing out on the roof deck for the night I took in the most beautiful of dreams, counted at least a dozen shooting stars (I always wish for money) and listened to the bizarre sounds of the desert in darkness.

The K9 situation is always different whenever I visit. Never become too attached to the dogs as they will probably not be there next time. As I arrived they viciously attacked my tires, growled sneered and lunged at me with the aggressive protect / attack demeanor. Then they moved in with me and made themselves home. It was fun to have them accompany me on sunrise walks to watch them act like dogs and they were eerily quiet at night following me around with my insomnia.

Here we discuss the plans for the day after the morning walk.

The El Vergel Volunteer Fire Department fundraising event on Memorial Day weekend was a success. Great party, delicious food, a band from SF, and an exquisite performance of folkloric dance by beautiful ladies. What a treat!!!

After a day or two of recuperation, the dogs let me know it was time to leave by hanging out by the car. The drive home was the usual. Crossed one time at Mexicali’s Garita I (45 minute wait) and then at another time Garita II (45 minute wait) in exodus.

Here’s some notes from the visits:
Birds: Owls, Garza’s, Hummingbirds, Woodpeckers, Vultures, Hawks (Osprey?), Quail, Pigeon, Gulls, loud finches, and those pterodactyl-looking birds with the long tails soaring high in the sky (frigate birds?). Crows, the rooster, cranes, gnat-catchers and pelican flocks.

Heard a seal barking from the playa late night and early evening. In 30 years I can’t remember hearing this here. I think it has to do with the Panga’s.

The beach had plenty of Rays, many jumping fish and bath-like water temperatures. The local co-op was bringing in what appeared to be Corbina, Sierra and Hammerhead shark amongst other bounty from the Sea and baitfish. The usual clamming occurred at the rocks in the mornings yielding geoducks and small to large almeja’s, small octopus and plenty of those small one-claw crabs all over the place.
Trekking showed a healthy environment and phat ecosystem with fat lizards, furry chipmunks, and plenty of field mice. In washing dishes outside I came upon the biggest scorpion ever. Missed Harry Brown, the Tarantula but those Tarantula Wasps were plentiful.

Domestically, the shack was a mess. I invited the Family over and had them clean me out of everything. It felt well to off stuff and made it easier to clean and prep for round #2 in the game of life. Ants are my friends, mice are fun to watch but not so much fun to trap. Heard mosquito’s when sleeping indoors but the beautiful breeze during the day kept the flying bug nuisance at bay.

What refreshing and relaxing trips. Peace, love and fish tacos!

[Edited on 6-5-2014 by El Vergel]

[Edited on 6-6-2014 by El Vergel]

willardguy - 6-5-2014 at 12:49 PM

now thats a GREAT trip report! gracias:yes:

chuckie - 6-5-2014 at 01:02 PM

My kinda trip Thanks for sharing

jbcoug - 6-5-2014 at 01:38 PM

I enjoyed your adventure. You really brought it to life for me. Thanks!!!

N2Baja - 6-5-2014 at 06:21 PM

Very nice trip report! I also heard the seal barking at night, but only saw six shooting stars, one of which was pretty spectacular though. Wasn't the weather absolutely perfect?

Your photobucket slideshow is "private", so couldn't enjoy the additional photos.

Glad you enjoyed your weekend!

churro - 6-5-2014 at 06:30 PM

Great report! I gotta start planing my next trip

Ateo - 6-5-2014 at 06:46 PM

What a fabulous report. Thanks for sharing.

David K - 6-5-2014 at 06:58 PM

Wonderful ... stellar vacation report Vern! Mastered the photo posting guidelines requested of the host here (800 pixels max) which is appreciated by us with less than galactic sized monitors!

So, the El Vergel airport is now closed? Sad to see pilots losing all the dirt strips... used to be a couple hundred around the peninsula and pilots could drop in to nearly any beach spot they wanted.

I am happy to see you are still enjoying your escape cabin! I hope to see you down there in the near future... With Shell Island turning into a luxury golf coarse and marina (ya, right, lol), Baja Angel and I may need new 'digs' in the summer!!??

Viva El Vergel!

BornFisher - 6-6-2014 at 08:20 AM

Love reports like this! Thanks mucho!!!!

sancho - 6-6-2014 at 11:34 AM

I've been going to SF for 25 yrs., always stay in town,
seems the SF touchstones are universal, Miramar, walk
to the shrine, deposit some coins say a prayer,
empty a few caguamas, watch for frigates. Any chance
of finding a longer term, 6 mo., rentals in the Campos to the so. of SF? I suppose the only way find out is to go down
and poke around, always seems to be an unofficial
campo host around, so to speak

TMW - 6-9-2014 at 09:38 AM

Excellent report, thanks. Glad your fundraiser was a success.