BajaNomad

Test Drive a SPOT Tracker

StuckSucks - 6-5-2014 at 02:37 PM

I know there's been discussions on bajanomad about personal locator devices. If you haven't seen one in action, here's your opportunity this Friday through Sunday.

On Friday June 6, I'm headed to San Felipe for the purpose of pitting COPS Racing in the Baja 500 - I'll power-up my SPOT Tracker at around 7 a.m. On Saturday, I'll head to a secure, undisclosed pit location, and as soon as our Trophy Truck, Class 1 and Class 10 get past me, I'll head back to the hotel. Early Sunday morning, we'll depart for home in SoCal with a one-hour respite along the border fence in Tecate.

The SPOT Tracker will only be powered on while we're in/near the chase truck. I'll kill the link below after the weekend.

The link to the tracker: http://tinyurl.com/n56dh6c

My location is updated every 10 minutes with the latest entry at the top of the list on the left. Clicking on any one of the left entries will center that entry location on the map. Click on the map icon to see more information about that location.

Happy tracking!

chuckie - 6-5-2014 at 02:41 PM

That should be interesting...and fun....Thanks

StuckSucks - 6-5-2014 at 02:45 PM

There's currently only one location marker on the map (I went to El Pollo Loco for lunch) - the real fun begins tomorrow morning.

jureal - 6-5-2014 at 04:51 PM

I can't believe that we were that close to you today at lunch. We ate at In N Out Burgers in the Costco parking lot at noon... lol

Ateo - 6-5-2014 at 05:46 PM

Dude, I was at the new Chevron station on Rose and Lincoln in Venice working today. Missed you by about 5 blocks. Good luck this weekend.

David K - 6-5-2014 at 07:14 PM

Have fun at the Baja 500 and go Team 'Bad Boys, Bad Boys' (Cops)!

Ateo - 6-6-2014 at 06:05 PM

Bump for manana's race. Looks like he made it to San Felipe and is enjoying a taco.

StuckSucks - 6-7-2014 at 09:24 AM

http://score-international.com/2014-tecate-score-baja-500-li...

Ateo - 6-7-2014 at 07:09 PM

Now I see where they put ya. That's a fast section eh?

StuckSucks - 6-8-2014 at 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Now I see where they put ya. That's a fast section eh?

We were hanging out with Checkers (always awesome group of guys) ~RM292, and yes, the TTs and 1s were impressively fast. 292 was on the southern end of dry Laguna Diablo - the course came south along the western shore, made a square turn east, thru Check 4, then back north along the eastern shore (where we were).

A bunch of cows wandered onto the course and I got to ride roundup in my Tacoma. The Weatherman was reporting the cows as a hazard to racers at RM290 and mentioned that a white pickup was herding the cows away from the course (unsure how he knew that).

Luckily, the wind gods were usually kind to us. I'll post some photos later today or tomorrow.

David K - 6-8-2014 at 02:59 PM

Great... I was totally out of the loop this race, and don't even know who the class winners are.

StuckSucks - 6-8-2014 at 06:07 PM

Fog over Punta Estrella Saturday morning.

Pitting with Checkers near RM292, El Diablo in the background. Days were low 100s with light to moderately gusty winds.

Bryce Menzies, the first Trophy Truck across the finish line.

Jason Voss, second place TT.

The Parkhouse Class 1 was the first to finish in class.

Our pits had a great view of the course.

Cows on the course near RM290

TMW - 6-9-2014 at 09:33 AM

Great stuff, keep them doggies rollin, rawhide.

Whale-ista - 6-9-2014 at 09:42 AM

Great photos! Love the open range challenge.

I guess Even cattle enjoy a good road race every now and then

StuckSucks - 6-9-2014 at 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista
Great photos! Love the open range challenge.

I guess Even cattle enjoy a good road race every now and then

Thanks!

The cows were very indifferent about about cars going by at triple-digit speeds.

BajaRun - 6-11-2014 at 07:51 AM

It was a long race for many racers. Cars were still coming though rm 245 at 5am sunday ..