BajaNomad

Ensenada or Bust...culinary delights

shari - 6-8-2014 at 01:19 PM

I had a fantastic trip to Ensenada to visit my daughter & grandson that was full of amazing food, fun and delightful encounters...care to join me for some of it?

I got a ride from Asuncion with Pete & Mauricio from Fish & Hunt Baja who we are working with to put some fishing trips together. They were most gracious hosts(I promise not to repeat any of those amusing stories you shared!!!) First night, we stopped in BOLA that was 103 in the early evening...sheesh...we had a fantastic dinner at Casa del Sol...seriously the best salsa I have ever had. It is a very popular place and i ran into a few people I know.

It is where all the famous folks hang out...like the one and only Captain Juan from San Quintin and his lovely family.

We stopped in San Quintin for some of those scrumptious clams at a roadside stand...15 pesos for this beauty!

then sushi upon arriving in Ensenada at Tadaima...my favorite.
We hooked up with some Nomads who's son rode a moto in the Baja 500 for breakfast at Traileros around the corner from my daughters house.

My daughter and neice Wendy and I had our usual first day breakfast at Cafe Toya in Sauzal...coffee with Baileys and her homemade pistrami sandwich...seriously most excellent!

Lunch at Traileros Tacos with some Nomad amigos who's son rode a moto in the Baja 500. It was pretty cool seeing all the race vehicles driving around town.

The next day we toured the wine country and ate lunch where Sirenita works which was spectacular. Origins is across from the big Cetto winery.

The food was as magnificent as the view. For starters we had the cheese plate with bread they make there and pistachio guacamole and chips they also make.

Then came the rib eye steak with grilled tomatoes from the garden and the seared tuna with mushrooms and garden asparagus...but the mango ceviche was my favorite! The new owners of the restaurant are a nice young couple...a sweet Russian woman and her guy she met at chef school in Paris! The pitchers of sangria were delightful as well making sure we were in our happy place.

the grounds are lovely too

the hotel was fully booked...pretty cool rooms eh albeit out of my price range. They often have big stars there...like me...hahahaha!

So do drop in and visit Sirena there if you are in the valley...she works fri-sat-sun.

Then some segunda shopping to get some exercise after that huge meal...then a movie at the cinema in 3D...cool.

We had a blast together...shoping, going to the spa and got a new look for summer too.

We hooked up with Udo at our favorite breakfast place San Miguel where the salmon & spinach fritata will make you moan! Sirena & Wendy showed off their talent...

Hangin out with the youngsters is so much fun...ya gotta love a daughter who teaches you a new drinking game...Kings Cup...very very funny stuff.

The last breakfast was with Woody & Bia at Traileros again...great to see you guys again.

Thanks to the Baja Nomad ride board, this family offered me a ride which worked out great as it was their first time in baja...so a big gracias to Jakeinvegas for getting me home safe. I look forward to your trip report especially the part about the mix up in beverages!!!

I hope you all enjoyed our little foodie trip to Ensenada...now how will I lose those extra pounds I put on?

[Edited on 6-8-2014 by shari]

bajacalifornian - 6-8-2014 at 01:37 PM

Wow!

chuckie - 6-8-2014 at 01:55 PM

Grand trip!!!! You and kids look great...Thanks for sharing!

Udo - 6-8-2014 at 04:33 PM

And your niece, Wendy was a superb looking girl, and she had quite a catch with phillip.

David K - 6-8-2014 at 04:49 PM

Nice photos... CUTE GRANDSON!

BajaLuna - 6-8-2014 at 05:07 PM

LOVE Ensenada! Looks like you had a fantastic trip!

shari - 6-8-2014 at 06:00 PM

I DID have a fantastic time. My niece Wendy was brought up in the states so speaks fluent English also so she was super fun to hang out with and is living with Sirena and helping with Izaak while Sirena works. She works on yachts crewing, doing maintenance & yacht sitting and her boyfriend Phillip is a British delivery skipper so we had lots in common.

Wendy & Sirena are teaming up for a new business venture...a concierge service for yachts where boaters can get their paperwork done, boat cleaned, get help with provisioning, laundry and find out where to relax & dine in Ensenada as well as city tours...they will be great at this! We had fun getting the business plan together and brainstorming some ideas.

DocRey - 6-8-2014 at 07:56 PM

Very cool report. Some day...:?:

BornFisher - 6-8-2014 at 08:57 PM

Great post, pics and report!!
But for the last 15 minutes, I`ve tried to balance a spoon on my nose!! S`not going to happen, unless I get out the super glue!!!

Breakfast in San Miguel?

Whale-ista - 6-8-2014 at 11:35 PM

You wrote "We hooked up with Udo at our favorite breakfast place San Miguel where the salmon & spinach fritata will make you moan! Sirena & Wendy showed off their talent..."

you're talking about the little restaurant? I have the place right next door but haven't eaten there for years. I'll have to give it a try.

Thank you for the tips!

TMW - 6-9-2014 at 09:30 AM

Excellent report and pictures. Lots of fun for sure. Thanks

BajaRat - 6-9-2014 at 09:47 AM

Love the yacht services venture. Fun report. :cool:

shari - 6-9-2014 at 10:20 AM

thanks all....Whale-ista....the restaurant is only a breakfast place...all the food is amazing, they make the bread and the omelets and fritatas are amazing, pesto, salmon, spinach etc...you will love it! the smoked salmon bagel is fantastic too and ya cant beat the ocean view and beautiful grounds.

BajaBlanca - 6-9-2014 at 10:31 AM

My mouth is watering! What a beautiful report.....

Best of luck to Sirena and Wendy. What an grand idea.