55steve - 6-10-2014 at 05:35 PM

I love these old videos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1bJDreMLzw

[Edited on 6-11-2014 by 55steve]

bajajudy - 6-10-2014 at 06:48 PM

That was fabulous!
Great music.

Skipjack Joe - 6-10-2014 at 07:05 PM

Those old senator reels sure caught a lot of fish.

baja Steve - 6-10-2014 at 09:14 PM

Love it. My first time to LA Bay was in 68 when I flew a group of fishermen down from Oregon.

Marc - 6-11-2014 at 06:37 AM

Great. Think how BOLA might be 50+ years from now.

durrelllrobert - 6-11-2014 at 07:32 AM

I recognized the lady dancing in the blue dress. She was still there last year.

RenoJoe - 6-11-2014 at 07:33 AM

1959, room and board $15.00 Great food, turtle meatballs and lobster extra.

Udo - 6-11-2014 at 08:03 AM

I had forgotten how barren and desolate BOLA looked 50 years ago.

The video brought back some old memories.

David K - 6-11-2014 at 08:05 AM

Good to see this video posted again... Airplanes were the main traffic to L.A. Bay before 1974. Papa Diaz' was the only game in town for accommodations. The first solar powered hot water system I experienced. Tanks on top of each room were warmed by the sun all day, so if you wanted a hot shower, it couldn't be too long after sundown!
:light:

monoloco - 6-11-2014 at 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Those old senator reels sure caught a lot of fish.
That's because there was a lot more fish to catch back then.

desertcpl - 6-11-2014 at 09:12 AM

loved it,,, and love the music

elgatoloco - 6-11-2014 at 09:29 AM

Now classic planes, boats and everyone dressed for dinner! Good times.:dudette:

Aqsurfer - 6-11-2014 at 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc

Hola Marc,

I hate to say this but it will be a city. The question will be what will it look like and surely not much fish. Some very wealthy and powerful individuals/companies have bought the majority of not only the bay but also the 18 beaches and wetlands along the 130-miles of coast of the Ejido Tierra y Libertad (La Asamblea to San Rafael). The biggest investors are on the Fortune 500 list. They are so big that they do not need to quickly generate a return on their investment. This is why not much has happened in BLA despite the change in ownership. Other factors accounting for the delay include the (perceived/real) narco violence in Mexico and the US economic downturn. But change is coming.

Last year I presented a lecture at the Aquarium of the Pacific where I discussed lost conservation opportunities and enviro impacts in Baja from 2000-2010. BLA plays a big role. We could have come away with big conservation outputs that would have directly benefited the ejido and marine/coastal environments. Pero ni modo. Here is the link to the lecture:

http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/multimedia/player/lecture_a...

Good things can still be done. Lets hope they get it right.
Peace,
Aaron

DJL - 6-11-2014 at 11:14 AM

Nice Roosterfish ! I didn't know that they ranged that far North in the Cortez ....

D.~

elgatoloco - 6-11-2014 at 11:24 AM

Aqsurfer - Keep up the good work!

Maybe the investors have purchased all the property so that it will never be developed?

" you may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one......."

:saint:

Aqsurfer - 6-11-2014 at 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
Aqsurfer - Keep up the good work!

Maybe the investors have purchased all the property so that it will never be developed?

/i]

:saint:
" you may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one......."[

Thanks Gatoloco,

You are on the right track. In 2006 acknowledging that BLA was about to be sold off and dramatically change, I negotiated a deal with the ejido to masterplan the future. I got Scripps, Hubbs Marine Research Station, UABC, University of Mass (urban planning dept), E-Tech International (alternative energy), world renown architects, the list goes on and on. Great team to plan/account for conservation priorities and future growth. Unfortunately, I could not generate the support I needed and the ejido sold off key areas in early 2008. Game over for my plan.

The point is that it could be done right, even though "right" now includes the growth of a town into a city.

Peace,
Aaron

Cliffy - 6-11-2014 at 12:29 PM

At 4:15 in the movie the folded up cots along the wall I have slept on and I parked my airplane in the same spots the first time I was down there.

David K - 6-11-2014 at 01:35 PM

We also slept on the cots as it was too hot in the rooms in the summer. The generator shut down at 10 pm and then we saw only stars. When 24 hour power lines from Guerrero Negro arrived a few years ago, some of the uniqueness was lost.

Cliffy - 6-11-2014 at 01:39 PM

I forgot about the generator shutting down at 10 PM. Lights out, stars out!

DavidT - 6-11-2014 at 01:46 PM

I learned that standing up to pee in the bathroom at Diaz's at 10 pm wasn't the best thing to do.

willardguy - 6-11-2014 at 02:04 PM

remember the ladies selling hot dogs next to the store in catavina? my buddy just had to have one. when the lights went out he was just getting comfortable on the toilet with his head buried in a bucket. we felt so bad for him we threw his lawn chair in the fire:lol: good times in la bay!

[Edited on 6-11-2014 by willardguy]

Martyman - 6-11-2014 at 03:47 PM

Quote:

I think that it will remain smaller due to it's isolation. There is no airport and most people can't handle the drive let alone the heat and wind.
Now if there could just be some enforcement on those damn gill nets. They are everywhere in the bay

Cliffy - 6-11-2014 at 04:05 PM

I don't think BOLA will build as will Gonzaga. Gonzaga is just too easy to get to now. I give it 5 to 10 years max.
You've still got the better part of 100 miles to BOLA from Gonzaga and it's the end of the road. A side road to boot.

David K - 6-11-2014 at 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman
Quote:

I think that it will remain smaller due to it's isolation. There is no airport and most people can't handle the drive let alone the heat and wind.
Now if there could just be some enforcement on those damn gill nets. They are everywhere in the bay

Oh but there is, its a mile long paved runway with a smaller paved side runway... it is just not 'open' until someone in DF can figure who pays to have military available to inspect traffic there.

willardguy - 6-11-2014 at 06:26 PM

gill nets??? think carlos bought up all that land to FISH? there's tons of lithium in them thar hills folks;D

Cliffy - 6-11-2014 at 08:07 PM

The BOLA airstrip is still quietly used at least by the flying doctors and a few others.
It's actually in pretty good shape when I was there a few weeks ago

churro - 6-11-2014 at 09:52 PM

Nice Video! Thanks for posting

Martyman - 6-12-2014 at 09:08 AM

I know there is an airport...just not a commercial one like Loreto. Next time I'll spell it out for you. Jeez!

Cliffy - 6-12-2014 at 12:38 PM

??????????

Bob53 - 6-12-2014 at 03:23 PM

I have been looking to purchase a couple vintage cots like those in the video. Anybody know where I might find a couple?

bacquito - 6-12-2014 at 03:35 PM

Interesting video, thanks

Wiles - 6-12-2014 at 03:54 PM

Circa 70 & 80's I recall during summer the town generator (if not broke down or out of fuel) would 'lights out' at 9 p.m., winter 7 p.m.

Remember the 10 second warning? The lights would dim briefly and we would run for the kerosene lamps, flashlights and candles.

Oh the night skies of BOLA. So close to the heavens.

Salud

Wiles - 6-12-2014 at 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob53
I have been looking to purchase a couple vintage cots like those in the video. Anybody know where I might find a couple?

Take 2 hours, drive/walk around town, have fun visiting with locals, spend $5 - 10 U.S at four or five tiendas asking at each one for your needs. They will go the extra mile to accommodate you. Then return the next day and spend again at ALL places you visited. Now you have your needs satisfied, made many friends, and have paid forward the solution to your next quest.

Good ole country living.

Saludos

Cliffy - 6-12-2014 at 05:04 PM

As I remember they were nothing more than 2x4s and bolts with canvas stretched between. I'm sure someone in BOLA can make them if that's where you are.

Wiles - 6-12-2014 at 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffy
As I remember they were nothing more than 2x4s and bolts with canvas stretched between. I'm sure someone in BOLA can make them if that's where you are.

Yup and the best view of sunrise anyone could hope for.

Bob53 - 6-12-2014 at 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffy

That's where my place is.

Cliffy - 6-12-2014 at 06:34 PM

YUP Sleeping on the porch at Diaz and seeing the sun come up!

Kgryfon - 6-12-2014 at 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
remember the ladies selling hot dogs next to the store in catavina? my buddy just had to have one. when the lights went out he was just getting comfortable on the toilet with his head buried in a bucket. we felt so bad for him we threw his lawn chair in the fire:lol: good times in la bay!

[Edited on 6-11-2014 by willardguy]

This^^^ is how you know you have a true friend!

David K - 6-13-2014 at 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiles
Circa 70 & 80's I recall during summer the town generator (if not broke down or out of fuel) would 'lights out' at 9 p.m., winter 7 p.m.

Remember the 10 second warning? The lights would dim briefly and we would run for the kerosene lamps, flashlights and candles.

Oh the night skies of BOLA. So close to the heavens.

Salud

The generator would go off and back on a couple times to warn everyone to light their Coleman's, kerosene lamps or candles if they needed light. It was very nice indeed!

One of the last times we camped at Gecko, looking north one minute the town was lit up, and the next it was blacked out. There was something special about that... sort of like "we really don't NEED electricity to live in paradise".

[Edited on 6-13-2014 by David K]

pmiller - 6-13-2014 at 11:14 AM

Does anyone recognize Guillermo in this old movie. I thought I saw him.