BajaNomad

Otay Mesa San Diego McDonalds Accepts Pesos

Gypsy Jan - 6-12-2014 at 06:32 AM

Yesterday, we pulled into the Otay Mesa McDonalds nearest the border gate. There are several various fast food places and restaurants that are fairly newish, mostly all of them were built about two years ago when the Otay border area was remodeled.

I had heard that some border businesses on the U.S. side were accepting pesos, but this was our first experience.

The building is large, clean and full of light from the tall windows and the outside area is attractively landscaped and well maintained.

When the cashier rang up my order, he told me the price in dollars and I handed him some pesos and he didn't even blink. He pushed a button on the register which then calculated the conversion and he handed me change in dollars. Easy peasy and a great convenience because we try to minimize our use of plastic and hadn't yet made it to the bank to withdraw dollars.

The food was the usual McDonald's quality; we tried the Habanero burger and that was one spicy sandwich, in a good way.

The crew working there were courteous, friendly and conscientious - the fry cook kept messing up my "no salt" order for the fries and the counter person who was taking care of my order said, "Please take a seat. we will bring your order to you", and they did, a full tray of hot, steamy and crispy, fresh-fried french fries.

paranewbi - 6-12-2014 at 06:58 AM

In '76 my surf buddy and I ate at the McDonalds in San Salvador (El Salvador capitol). It was after midnight and the place was packed. The food was amazingly the same as the US except for the drinks which had some added carbonated drinks ala sodas and such. Just as clean as any here in the US with the same décor and equipment (for the time). Just as courteous and attentive as here to.

DianaT - 6-12-2014 at 08:14 AM

When we lived in Calexico, everyone accepted pesos all the businesses, big and small, accepted pesos as did all the restaurants. Most of their business came from Mexicali.