BajaNomad

Shell Island June 6-12 2014

hayb - 6-21-2014 at 12:21 AM

Arrived at mid day to find some crowds and vehicles at the beach. Was thinking the secret must be out about Shell Island. Had a cold beer while airing down the tires (18 psi) for driving on sand. Headed up north to our spot and got stuck after 300 yds. Decided to have another beer and try to dig myself out. No luck! Decided to recheck the tire pressure and it was at 24 psi (Yes I know David K.., air it down) lowered it back down to 17 psi and with pull from my buddy’s rig we made it to our campsite. On departure lowered tire pressure to 15 psi, no issues what so ever.

The weather was perfect, low 70’s nights but damp, days were mid 90’s -101 F. The water temp was around 80 F. Forfeited good part of a day to heavy wind god's, we used the trucks as wind break. Also lowered our ezup’s and was a heavier beer drinking day. I think my back is still sore from it. Kids read books, drew pictures and listened to Little House on the Prairie audio book. We ate like pigs, drank like a fish, got ample amount of vitamin D, played on the beach, swam in the warm water, lots of shelling, caught variety of fishes (catch and release), Hung out by the bonfire and moonlight. Good times and looking forward to next year’s trip

Trying to make our ice last for 7 days is the most challenging task but it’s doable. Each of us use two 150 qt. coolers (igloo coolers from Costco), ones for food and the other for drinks. We make blocks of ice using our freezers and line that at the bottom of the coolers, then fill pockets with cubed ice. We do keep the coolers covered with several layers of moving blankets. The coolers never see the sunlight. Also bring one 120 qt. cooler filled with blocks of ice and use that to replenish coolers.

Here are some pictures of our trip.

I can hear David K...don't dig! let the air out! man I hate going below 18 psi with full load.

small trigger fish

Never caught a salt water catfish before

After three days replenishing our coolers.

Anyone know what type of fish this is?

Mexitron - 6-21-2014 at 04:39 AM

Looks like a fun time!

MMc - 6-21-2014 at 05:46 AM

Put dry ice in the ice back up chest. 7 days easy. Dry ice will lower the temp of the ice way below 0.

bajabuddha - 6-21-2014 at 06:21 AM

The 'anyone know what kind of fish this is?" pic, looks like a Mojarra to me. Locals in our area just gut 'em, leave head on, de-scale, flour and fry 'em whole and crispy. Kind of boney, but worth the effort; good meat.

WONDERFUL pics, really puts out the love of the excursion (love the Golden w/ the shell-hat... they are soooo patient!). Ah, La Vida Buena / Loca !!

baja43 - 6-21-2014 at 06:45 AM

We camped there a bunch back in the early 70s...looks like the fun times never stop. The kids will remember these trips for a long time. Well done!

bajaandy - 6-21-2014 at 06:58 AM

Sweet! Nice photo essay! Looks like another awesome Baja family vacation.

BornFisher - 6-21-2014 at 07:06 AM

Thanks for the great report and beautiful pics!
Can`t believe all the people, dogs, and gear that fit in two rigs!! I`d guess you guys have done this before!!

BajaRat - 6-21-2014 at 08:14 AM

Fantastic !
Thanks for the lift :bounce:

El Vergel - 6-21-2014 at 08:30 AM

Fabulous! Thanks for taking me there!

David K - 6-21-2014 at 08:42 AM

PERFECT! You gave us a look at what Shell Island gives us... peace, beauty, fun, sand and shells!

Those are two HEAVY trucks and I don't blame you for being concerned about dropping down to 15 psi with that much weight on them! But, it worked!

Thank you for sharing the photos!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The same story for getting Art and his 4WD motorhome/van unstuck when he first drove it onto the island, except he arrived at high tide so there was no wet sand to go to to drive easier on!

July 4th weekend, 2010:

Ken Cooke was there too, and here he helps clear sand from the front of the tires (this is key to getting out, because sand built up in front acts like tire blocks, once you have dug down into it).

Once Art (edm1 on Nomad) dropped more air out of the tires, and trusted me to turn his tires downhill (towards the water!)... he was out, and so happy to achieve 'flotation'!

If you vehicle is stopped by deep sand, do not spin the tires, just let out more air! If you did spin the tires, then you dropped down deeper so removing sand from the tires and if needed, the differentials, is advised.

hayb - 6-21-2014 at 09:27 AM

MMC,

Thanks for the dry ice idea, I am usually too cheap to buy that over priced dry ice. I may try that next year and give you guys a feedback.

hayb - 6-21-2014 at 09:45 AM

bajabuddha,

Thanks for the fish ID, never heard of them but very cool looking fish. We do catch and release and only keep ones that don't look good and eat them fresh (ceviche).

Do you know if bone fish are in this area? We caught several of them (good fighters) thought they were bone fish but wasn't sure. No pictures.

hayb - 6-21-2014 at 10:32 AM

David K,

Wow Art’s van is a behemoth! I think our group will stick to tent camping. But there is a fine line when driving on sand versus digging. Driving my Dodge Cummins I can tell by engine RPM, meaning if engine RPM goes above 2K indication of digging/slipping in sand, need to deflate. On this trip I found that out pretty quickly, I think mostly due to too much weight (crap).

DocRey - 6-21-2014 at 10:39 AM

Very cool. Thx. Just got one of those hammocks for Pop's Day.:bounce:

bajabuddha - 6-21-2014 at 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by hayb
bajabuddha,

Thanks for the fish ID, never heard of them but very cool looking fish. We do catch and release and only keep ones that don't look good and eat them fresh (ceviche).

Do you know if bone fish are in this area? We caught several of them (good fighters) thought they were bone fish but wasn't sure. No pictures.

Errrm, i'm not too proud to say I don't even know where the hell 'Shell Island' is !! The nice thing about the ocean is, almost everything is edible. Now, my totally favorite fish for eating is Trigger. I've learned a few tricks about filleting and preparing in many different ways (all-time best is Cajun blackened) but it's good from plain-boiled to ceviche. Just don't get your fingers in the way!

Get a couple of books on Baja fish, and keep a small notebook in your tackle, and journal your catch. I'm over 40 species just in one location, and haven't used anything but iron for the last 3 years. I'd say I've caught at least another dozen or so species not in the books; and like they say, fish can't read anyway. So, GO RIP SOME LIPS !!

"the time a person spends fishing should not be deducted from their life".

desertcpl - 6-21-2014 at 12:21 PM

that looks like so much fun,, thanks for sharing

hayb - 6-21-2014 at 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
Quote:
bajabuddha,

Errrm, i'm not too proud to say I don't even know where the hell 'Shell Island' is !! The nice thing about the ocean is, almost everything is edible. Now, my totally favorite fish for eating is Trigger. I've learned a few tricks about filleting and preparing in many different ways (all-time best is Cajun blackened) but it's good from plain-boiled to ceviche. Just don't get your fingers in the way!

Get a couple of books on Baja fish, and keep a small notebook in your tackle, and journal your catch. I'm over 40 species just in one location, and haven't used anything but iron for the last 3 years. I'd say I've caught at least another dozen or so species not in the books; and like they say, fish can't read anyway. So, GO RIP SOME LIPS !!

It's located in upper sea of cortez, about 20 miles south of san felipe

David K - 6-21-2014 at 01:38 PM

Just off the bottom edge of the above map is where it is, about 20 miles south of San Felipe.

Here is more:

It is a barrier island that is totally separated from Baja during the highest tides of the year... as this Nat Geo map shows:

Also, this pilots map shows:

Here is a map I made when I was 20, after the first time I drove onto the island:

MMc - 6-21-2014 at 06:05 PM

Hayb, Ice in my wife's after dinner c-cktail has always been the goal. Being married to the best person I have ever met is my inspiration.

We have good ice* for as many as 10 days in the summer and 21 days in the winter. A separate ice chest for your long term ice with dry ice berried and covered is amazing thing. Cover with a moving pad, sleeping bag, something thick, put a wet towel over it when it's hottest. You'll sipping that late night toddy with a sweating glass for 10 days easy, or how about ice cream for dessert on day 7? Kids will love it.
* good ice + a glass that is sweating and will give you brain freeze if consumed to fast.
For long term remote camping it is a must...

Quote:
MMC,

Thanks for the dry ice idea, I am usually too cheap to buy that over priced dry ice. I may try that next year and give you guys a feedback.

Kgryfon - 6-21-2014 at 07:49 PM

Very nice trip report and great photos!

treuboff - 6-21-2014 at 08:50 PM

We call Percebu the Happiest Place on Earth. Totally kid friendly, educational and a lot of human bonding goes on. So many fun times there. Used to be able to run the beach from SF to Percebu.

David K - 6-22-2014 at 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by treuboff
We call Percebu the Happiest Place on Earth. Totally kid friendly, educational and a lot of human bonding goes on. So many fun times there. Used to be able to run the beach from SF to Percebu.

Does anyone remember this as you entered Laguna Percebu over 30 years ago?

percebu plane-r.JPG - 36kB

Barry A. - 6-22-2014 at 08:44 AM

:lol::lol: I sure do, David. We always got a laugh out of that----------somebody had a rare and unusual sense of humor.

Barry

David K - 6-22-2014 at 08:47 AM

There was a bra hanging from the rudder and on the ground around the plane were tequila bottles and bones... I guess a no drinking and flying message!?

hayb - 6-22-2014 at 09:24 AM

I do remember seeing that several years ago and we always got a good laugh. However I don't remember seeing that on recent trips.

David K - 6-22-2014 at 11:21 AM

It was removed long ago...

Skipjack Joe - 6-22-2014 at 10:59 PM

The mystery fish is the pacific porgy -

http://www.mexfish.com/mexico/pacific-porgy/

Skipjack Joe - 6-22-2014 at 11:02 PM

I've never seen a sand dollar that looks quite like this one.

Great find!

Bob H - 6-23-2014 at 10:19 AM

Great trip report/photo essay. Really enjoyed it. You guys really battled the wind there. Good job.

hayb - 6-23-2014 at 02:15 PM

Skipjack Joe,

Thanks for the id of that fish. I have fished on the Pacific side and never caught them before.
Those baby sand dollar are pretty cool to look at up close, the outer edges move like hundreds of tiny legs.

Bob H,

I think some adversity is good for all of us. Trying to teach my kids not to panic but come up with solutions and make best of life.
Luckily for us the wind only lasted for a day.

David K - 12-22-2014 at 05:08 PM

A look back at a great vacation trip report :coolup:

Hope Baja Nomads have many more in 2015!

AKgringo - 12-22-2014 at 05:35 PM

D.K. I appreciate seeing trip reports like this from before I found the B.N. forum. I thought I would pass on a couple of tips that I use on the beach.
For group camping, an ice fishing tent is the right size and shape for setting up a latrine. High enough to sit on a porta pot, and instead of a floor, it has flaps that can be folded out and buried with sand.
A couple of carpet scraps take up no room in the truck, and can make a difference in how far you can move after digging out the tires.
Travel with a dog, they don't laugh when you get stuck.

TMW - 12-23-2014 at 11:32 AM

["Travel with a dog, they don't laugh when you get stuck."]

And they'll usually help you dig.

StuckSucks - 12-23-2014 at 01:25 PM

A couple photos from Percebu from 2004:

David K - 12-23-2014 at 05:03 PM

2004? Wow, I haven't seen the plane monument since the 1980's. They must have moved it away from the entrance road? Thanks!

rts551 - 12-23-2014 at 07:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by treuboff  

We used to visit Laguna Percebu as a family in the late 50's early 60's when the Campo was run by Joe. sandy road in but after getting stuck a couple of times we would always make it to the camp grounds on top of the hill. Have lots of B&w pics, but they are personal family pics and don't want them copied for other uses. great place to visit as I grew up.

CortezBlue - 12-23-2014 at 09:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Quote:
bajabuddha,

Actually, it is not an island, it is a beach.

David K - 12-24-2014 at 10:15 AM

It's both... a barrier island beach. Surrounded by water at the highest tides. There are many 'islands' that are never separated from the mainland by land or bridge, but still called 'islands'... Just here in San Diego: Coronado Island, Harbor Island, Shelter Island, Fiesta Island.

Here is a National Geographic map, showing Shell Island as a true water surrounded island, which it indeed does become...

Baja already has a place called Shell Beach, where Russ lives at Punta Chivato, so this eliminates confusion, too... besides being geographically correct.

StuckSucks - 12-24-2014 at 04:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
2004? Wow, I haven't seen the plane monument since the 1980's. They must have moved it away from the entrance road? Thanks!

I'm positive about the 2004 date, and I'm positive about Percebu. Can't splain the 80s disappearance/reappearance thing. As I recall, it was located near the church, no?

David K - 12-24-2014 at 05:22 PM

LOL, I didn't know there was a church there... as I usually just look upon Percebu from across the lagoon on Shell Island! Back in the 70's and 80's, I would sometimes get to Shell Island from the beach at Percebu, and would pass the plane monument. Made my friends laugh seeing that.
Once they built the highway in 1982, I usually would just pop to the island from it... sometimes going into Percebu with my kids for tacos if on a holiday.

monoloco - 12-24-2014 at 05:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
I've never seen a sand dollar that looks quite like this one.

Great find!

That's because they are sand pesos.:lol:

David K - 5-5-2015 at 08:50 AM

u2u request from hayb:

Check the tide chart for when you are going, and leaving... 18 ft. or higher high tide floods the salt flats behind Shell Island, connecting Laguna Percebu on the north with Bahia Santa Maria on the south, and surrounds the island with water. If you arrive at high tide, drive in the well worn track of the original road... it is compacted and thus lower, and thus deeper underwater, but has solid ground instead of 'oatmeal mush' to drive on.

[Edited on 5-5-2015 by David K]

David K - 5-5-2015 at 09:52 AM

Here are the 2015 San Felipe Tide Calendars: http://sanfelipe.com.mx/weather/tide-calendars/
Not one tide higher than 18 feet in June, so the salt flats should be dry... Winds can change that... and there are two right at 18' (15th and 16th).

hayb - 5-5-2015 at 12:16 PM

David K,

We will arrive at high tide (15.3 ft) and stay two days passed the new moon (16.8). We always used the 1984 access entry. In 2012 I got stuck there with fully loaded Dodge. It was like oatmeal mush, fully inflated tires didn't help. Thanks for the original access GE Map information. We will give it a go on this trip.

PaulW - 5-6-2015 at 02:06 PM

We have used Km 26 for access.
I have never been brave enough to drive to the beach as we are just doing day trips. So we walk from high ground around/thru the mud to the dunes. People driving to the beach obviously go a different way.
Paul

JohnK - 5-6-2015 at 02:41 PM

David: I think you're put it out there before, but do you have the lat long coordinates?

David K - 5-6-2015 at 02:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JohnK  
David: I think you're put it out there before, but do you have the lat long coordinates?

For what point? Happy to help.
It is so long an island, it is easy to see on Google Earth, 20 miles south of San Felipe...

JohnK - 5-6-2015 at 03:27 PM

Maybe roughly where the old fish camp is? Just want to be sure. I think you can right click when pointing at it with Google satellite. Thanks, Dude!

PaulW - 5-6-2015 at 04:28 PM

Pretty close
K25.2 Shell Island=30° 46.793'N, 114° 44.177'W
Leading to 30° 46.558'N, 114° 42.329'W and 30° 46.361'N, 114° 42.310'W
K26 Shell Island = 30° 46.338'N, 114° 43.924'W
Leading to 30° 46.558'N, 114° 42.329'W and 30° 46.361'N, 114° 42.310'W
Coords are before the dunes where we usually park
Look on GE for more info
Paul

David K - 5-6-2015 at 04:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JohnK  
Maybe roughly where the old fish camp is? Just want to be sure. I think you can right click when pointing at it with Google satellite. Thanks, Dude!

30º46.300'N, 114º42.050'W

JohnK - 5-6-2015 at 06:47 PM

What a resource you are, David. Thanks! - John

David K - 5-6-2015 at 10:00 PM

Nice words John, very kind!

Baja has been so special to me and has given me so much fun and adventure the past 50 years (wow) since my first trip... I enjoy sharing and assisting others, as a way to give back.

Elona - 5-7-2015 at 04:23 AM

Now I'd like a drink from the Tiki Bar :yes:.

PaulW - 5-7-2015 at 06:05 AM

Anybody been to Campo Mayo? On Davids picture it is the large bay south of the Shell place. Access is from the south from Hermosa or S Maria.
I found the place name Mayo on GE?
Paul

deanfootlong - 5-7-2015 at 07:51 AM

just remember one thing when going through the 1984 access rd to get to shell island; when in doubt, floor it.

[Edited on 5-14-2015 by BajaNomad]

hayb - 5-13-2015 at 08:27 PM

In 2002 I caught a permit at Shell Island.

Skipjack Joe - 5-14-2015 at 02:50 AM

If you can drive to 'Shell Island' then it's not an island. Islands don't disappear and reappear with the tides. There is no 'Shell Island'. It's all Percebu Beach.

David K - 5-14-2015 at 06:35 AM

LOL. The mud is not the island, it is where the sea water was at high tide which makes it an island. Not all places called islands are totally surrouded either but this one actually is at highest tides. Percebu is three miles away from where that mud photo was taken. A failed campo about a mile south of Percebu was named Isla San Martin, so I am not alone in calling this barrier island an island.

[Edited on 6-8-2015 by David K]

bajabuddha - 5-14-2015 at 06:51 AM

When an island is connected to shoreline by a sand spit or isthmus that covers at high tide with water, it is still technically an island, and the umbilicus is called a "Tombolo".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tombolo

Amazingly, Isla Requeson isn't listed in Wikipedia. Any Wiki members out there feel free to add it to their list. It's in the Roadside Geology book. I believe he also mentions one down by La Paz.

David K - 5-14-2015 at 07:56 AM

'Shell Tombolo' doesn't have the same sizzle... :biggrin:

This is how National Geographic shows it (surrounded by water):

The pilot's aviation map, as well:

bajabuddha - 5-14-2015 at 07:58 AM

The island is not the tombolo...... just the attaching sand spit covered by high tide.

Skipjack Joe - 5-14-2015 at 08:11 AM

Read below. 'Shell Island' is not island. It's a barrier spit, part of the beach it's connected. Whatever that beach is called, that's what 'Shell Island' is named. Since it encloses Percebu Lagoon that's it's true name. Islands are permanently completely bordered by water.

http://www.fws.gov/cbra/Act/Coastal_Barriers.html

Types of Coastal Barrier Landforms

Coastal barrier landforms may be described by their relationships to the mainland as bay barriers, tombolos, barrier spits, and barrier islands. Additional areas which function as coastal barriers include dune and beach barriers, and fringing mangroves. The term "mainland" includes the continental land mass as well as large islands such as Long Island, New York and the Hawaiian Islands. Definitions of the various kinds of coastal barriers follow:

Bay barriers - coastal barriers that connect two headlands, and enclose a pond, marsh, or other aquatic habitat. The terms bay mount bar and bay bar are synonymous.

Tombolos - sand or gravel beaches which connect one or more offshore islands to each other or to the mainland. The terms connecting bar, tie bar, and tying bar are synonymous.

Barrier spits - coastal barriers that extend into open water and are attached to the mainland at only one end. They can develop into a bay barrier if they grow completely across a bay or other aquatic habitat. On the other hand, bay barriers can become spits if an inlet is created.

Barrier islands - coastal barriers completely detached from the mainland. Barrier spits may become barrier islands if their connection to the mainland is severed by creation of a permanent inlet. The barrier island represents a broad barrier beach, commonly sufficiently above high tide to have dunes, vegetated zones, and wetland areas.

Dune or beach barriers - broad sandy barrier beaches, with hills or ridges of sand formed by winds, which protect landward aquatic habitats.

Fringing mangroves - bands of mangrove along subtropical or tropical mainland shores in areas of low wave energy. Many of these areas are located behind coral reefs, which together with the mangroves themselves, provide significant protection for the mainland from storm impact.

Skipjack Joe - 5-14-2015 at 08:22 AM

My wife's family used to vacation on the Stanislaus River, Central California. There was a swimming hole downstream which the kids liked to go to in the afternoons. In order to get there they had to cross a large treeless flat that was so hot it would burn your bare feet when you crossed it. The kids named it "Sahara" because to them it felt like Africa. The name stuck and they used it for years.

'Shell Beach' has the same origins. There is no actual 'Shell Beach'.

[Edited on 5-14-2015 by Skipjack Joe]

Images

PaulW - 5-14-2015 at 08:43 AM

More Shell Island Images
Google Photo 6/29/2014

Inegi Photo dated 1993

[Edited on 5-14-2015 by PaulW]

[Edited on 5-14-2015 by PaulW]

David K - 5-14-2015 at 08:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
Read below. 'Shell Island' is not island. It's a barrier spit, part of the beach it's connected. Whatever that beach is called, that's what 'Shell Island' is named. Since it encloses Percebu Lagoon that's it's true name. Islands are permanently completely bordered by water.

http://www.fws.gov/cbra/Act/Coastal_Barriers.html

Types of Coastal Barrier Landforms

Coastal barrier landforms may be described by their relationships to the mainland as bay barriers, tombolos, barrier spits, and barrier islands. Additional areas which function as coastal barriers include dune and beach barriers, and fringing mangroves. The term "mainland" includes the continental land mass as well as large islands such as Long Island, New York and the Hawaiian Islands. Definitions of the various kinds of coastal barriers follow:

Bay barriers - coastal barriers that connect two headlands, and enclose a pond, marsh, or other aquatic habitat. The terms bay mount bar and bay bar are synonymous.

Tombolos - sand or gravel beaches which connect one or more offshore islands to each other or to the mainland. The terms connecting bar, tie bar, and tying bar are synonymous.

Barrier spits - coastal barriers that extend into open water and are attached to the mainland at only one end. They can develop into a bay barrier if they grow completely across a bay or other aquatic habitat. On the other hand, bay barriers can become spits if an inlet is created.

Barrier islands - coastal barriers completely detached from the mainland. Barrier spits may become barrier islands if their connection to the mainland is severed by creation of a permanent inlet. The barrier island represents a broad barrier beach, commonly sufficiently above high tide to have dunes, vegetated zones, and wetland areas.

Dune or beach barriers - broad sandy barrier beaches, with hills or ridges of sand formed by winds, which protect landward aquatic habitats.

Fringing mangroves - bands of mangrove along subtropical or tropical mainland shores in areas of low wave energy. Many of these areas are located behind coral reefs, which together with the mangroves themselves, provide significant protection for the mainland from storm impact.

THANK YOU for the geography!

It's just what I have called the place since the 1970's when I first walked across the water to get to it by foot (from Bahia Santa Maria) and then later by vehicle (at low tide). It fits and it sounds good and those who have been to it (especially at high tide, when they drove through water to get to it or off it) agree that it is an island.

Now, if it must be surrounded by water 24/7 to 'qualify' to have the name 'Island' attached, then I suggest you have some work to do here in San Diego County: Coronado Island, Shelter Island, Harbor Island, Fiesta Island, etc. ALL can be driven to on land or via a short bridge, as was the case for Shell Island at low tide or before the road to the bridge eroded away (from high tide sea water).

Here is that bridge (with Surfer Jim) in 2004, in a Bob H photo:

Surfer Jim on the (mostly gone) causeway road to Shell Island. Built to provide high tide access in 1984 for a development that never was started. The concrete culvert/ bridge remains while most of the elevated road bed has eroded away.

Here is that same bridge in 2011, after the high tide dropped, and the causeway across the lagoon that once was at the same height as the bridge:

Looking West.

Looking South.

Skipjack Joe - 5-14-2015 at 09:18 AM

'Shell Tombolo' doesn't have the same sizzle... :biggrin:

Don't tell that to a Italian.

PaulW - 5-14-2015 at 09:18 AM

please note my edit for the photo dates Google is pretty recent.

What do you suppose the history of a causeway and bridge to get to the water side of the dunes?

I further noticed that in 1993 the geographer placed a road paralleling the west side of the estuary and mud flats. I suppose the sea is rising and the road is overgrown?? Next trip I will search for that road or track.

chuckie - 5-14-2015 at 09:28 AM

I bet we get some pics of tire tracks before long!

David K - 5-14-2015 at 09:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
please note my edit for the photo dates Google is pretty recent.

What do you suppose the history of a causeway and bridge to get to the water side of the dunes?

I further noticed that in 1993 the geographer placed a road paralleling the west side of the estuary and mud flats. I suppose the sea is rising and the road is overgrown?? Next trip I will search for that road or track.

First saw the elevated road and bridge in 1984. A 1989 map names a campground at the end of the road as El Pelicano. There has never been any development I have seen and no ruins of any there. 1/4 mile south, at the end of the original road to the island is a commercial fish camp, seasonally occupied.

The issue I believe is that this is all federal high tide zone, not solid land, and ownership is not possible. Too risky to build on a sand dune surrounded by water part of the time. Who knows what the future will hold. A marina and golf coarse resort is planned between the bridge and Bahia Santa Maria!

The road on the west side of the lagoon/ estuary is on the salt flats... other tracks parallel it. The salt flats do go under water at the highest tides of the year, always have that last 40 years I have gone there... no new change in the sea level has changed this normal condition.

The resort

PaulW - 5-14-2015 at 01:39 PM

Marinazul Golf Resort
Quoting one of the links:
The land on which the mega project is intended to carry out operations is also known as Campo Santa Maria, Ejido Delicias or Percebú and is part of the Ejido Plan Nacional Agrario located within the municipality of Ensenada.
Actually The general area is as described, but the land was privately owned per Pat Butler.
Pat Butler owned 1,200 hectares that he purchased a long time ago from the ejido and he sold the property to Inveravante the Spanish development company with many conditions. Butler is getting payments after he does his thing with the Mexicali officials in behalf of Inveravante. The property has quite a long frontage on the highway where it sports a good looking wall. As was noted the property is north of Santa Maria. I suspect it will likely include the Campo Mayo lagoon.
www.bajarealestategroup.net/News/Baja_News/Mega-Development_...

http://sanfelipe.com.mx/2013/01/06/only-28-miles-south-from-...

David K - 5-14-2015 at 02:17 PM

Never heard of a Campo Mayo... the lagoon or bay, just south of Shell Island is called 'Bahia Santa Maria', so named about 1969 when it was established by the Aniceto Madueña Family. Maria was a daughter's name. Before Santa Maria was started, we called that bay, 'The Lagoon', and is where we went fishing, driving up the beach almost 2 miles from the closest campo, Nuevo Mazatlan, back in the late 60's. Nuevo Mazatlan was previously known as Agua de Chale.

The Bahia Santa Maria complex was broken into separate camps, Playa Hermosa being the one on the south. The Madueña family no longer owns all the land they once did.

hayb - 5-14-2015 at 03:50 PM

Skipjack Joe,

Does it really matter whether this is an island or not. My group simply called this place Laguna Percebu for years. The first time I heard David K. mention as Shell Island, thought it sounded better than Laguna Percebu. As for the Island part, if you have camped there during high tide it does feel as though you are on an island.

PaulW - 5-14-2015 at 07:36 PM

Shucks - goes to show that the maps and satellite info are not the best resource.
When I drive south down the highway I see signs as follows:
Percebu
Hermosa
La Mision
Santa Maria
Mayma
Mazatian
And the above does not agree with the Almanac which says
Percebu
Santa Maria
Hermosa
San Carlos
Rodriguez
Zaguaro
Mazatlan
La Roca
And the Topo gives another sequence and different names.
Leaving the Highway at K30.5 (30 44.05, -114 43.) when I look on Google earth I see a road heading north and the label on Google Earth is Campo Mayo and at its north end is a large lagoon or estuary at 30 44.9, -114 42.). That north road on GE ends 1.1 miles from the left turn after passing many beach homes.
Anyway here are the images I am looking at. Note the dates of the images. GE is pretty new.

============
Never heard of a Campo Mayo... the lagoon or bay, just south of Shell Island is called 'Bahia Santa Maria', so named about 1969 when it was established by the Aniceto Madueña Family. Maria was a daughter's name. Before Santa Maria was started, we called that bay, 'The Lagoon', and is where we went fishing, driving up the beach almost 2 miles from the closest campo, Nuevo Mazatlan, back in the late 60's. Nuevo Mazatlan was previously known as Agua de Chale.

The Bahia Santa Maria complex was broken into separate camps, Playa Hermosa being the one on the south. The Madueña family no longer owns all the land they once did.

David K - 5-14-2015 at 07:59 PM

Google Earth is wrong. That is Bahia Santa Maria. We even had a lot there on the bay back in the 70' s.

elgatoloco - 5-14-2015 at 08:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
..... I suppose the sea is rising.............

No way dude! Get real. Impossible. Your kidding right? :lol:

David K - 5-15-2015 at 08:56 AM

Yet the salt flats that get splashed with sea water only on the highest lunar tides, just inches above the typical high tide line, are STILL just inches above the typical high tide line, ...50 years later. Why aren't they underwater at every high tide by now, if the sea is rising so much???

mtgoat666 - 5-15-2015 at 11:02 AM

Yet the salt flats that get splashed with sea water only on the highest lunar tides, just inches above the typical high tide line, are STILL just inches above the typical high tide line, ...50 years later. Why aren't they underwater at every high tide by now, if the sea is rising so much???

the "salt flats" you refer to are probably more properly called a "salt marsh." Sea level has risen several inches in the past few decades, regional and global survey data show this to be TRUE. You won't see this sea level change dramatically change the frequency of flooding of salt marsh due to your infrequent visits and because the salt marsh is a depositional environment. Sediment is deposited in the salt marsh area during storm events (sediment transported in during storm water flows) and by strong winds. The dunes you see at the beach are indicative of the ability of winds to move sediment. None of the ground surface in a sand spit and back marsh are static, the sediment is moving around during storm events - and the surface elevation goes up and down as mother nature moves the sediment around.
the area is also tectonically active, there may be regional uplift or sinking occuring at rate on same order as sea level change (though the tectonic elevation changes are probably much less than sea level change).

that's why!

rts551 - 5-15-2015 at 11:04 AM

How many times do people have to show you the real facts.

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/sealevel.html

David K - 5-15-2015 at 11:17 AM

How is it that you cannot believe your own eyes?

mtgoat666 - 5-15-2015 at 11:29 AM

dk: if you are doing carpentry, do you use a tape measure to measure before you cut or do you just eyeball it? sometimes measurements are more reliable than WAGs.

David K - 5-15-2015 at 11:48 AM

For that matter goat, salt flats everywhere in Baja... (flats, not marshes) that get a coating of sea water a few times a year but not daily (to create the salt)... why are they not all underwater daily???

You are quick to believe a government employee (who has a motive to remain in his position), but not your own eyes at all these salt flats?

They should all have become marshes (daily tidal flooding), or lagoons (annual or multi-month flooding) if the sea levels have risen so dangerously much.

danaeb - 5-15-2015 at 12:08 PM

My eyes tell me that the earth is flat. It must be so.

David K - 5-15-2015 at 03:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by danaeb  

You need to go on Google Earth then! :light:

rts551 - 5-15-2015 at 04:12 PM

Ohhh heavens no. The google earth people are scientists and google earth is supported by government satellites. Its probably not real since you can not touch or feel it. Government just feeding us made up images.

mtgoat666 - 5-15-2015 at 04:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Ohhh heavens no. The google earth people are scientists and google earth is supported by government satellites. Its probably not real since you can not touch or feel it. Government just feeding us made up images.

the initial internet (arpanet) was developed by government-funded scientists. al gore was one of the politicians that promoted legislation to expand arpanet. if it weren't for politicians like nerdy al gore and government funded scientists, dk would have no google earth or baja nomad :lol::lol::lol:

chuckie - 5-15-2015 at 04:43 PM

+10

rts551 - 5-15-2015 at 06:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

the initial internet (arpanet) was developed by government-funded scientists. al gore was one of the politicians that promoted legislation to expand arpanet. if it weren't for politicians like nerdy al gore and government funded scientists, dk would have no google earth or baja nomad :lol::lol::lol:

Nature would have taken care of it...somehow.:(

David K - 5-15-2015 at 06:14 PM

Ralph and goat, better get a room!

rts551 - 5-15-2015 at 06:25 PM

Ralph and goat, better get a room!

Don't go there DK. unless you can take the heat.

Marinazul again

PaulW - 2-1-2016 at 04:53 PM

Marinazul Golf & Resort
Developed by Inveranate Crecentia,SA DE CV
Got curious after doing the Percebu poker run to see where we were driving compared to the new marina. The answer is we were somewhat north of the development parcel and closer to Percebu. I also noted that David’s coords for shell island pretty much land on the entrance to the marina at N30 46.3
Location on IGENI H11B57 With an image date of June 1993

Next topo map south H11B67

Next I found these images on the web locating the marina

AND

David K - 2-1-2016 at 05:27 PM

That bottom map is off... they have the circle from the south edge of Bahia Santa Maria to Nuevo Mazatlan. The project is north and west of Bahia Santa Maria bay.

Building a marina on a salt flat that the next chubasco washes out will be waste of money, I believe.

Yes, the marina breakwater is about where the fish camp and road onto the island is located.

That breakwater will stop the natural movement of sand down the coast. It will clog the entrance (as in what happened at the La Salina marina near La Mision and at the Escalera Nautica marina at Santa Rosalillita.

I see no good coming to this project... wrong location... and after destroying the natural ecosystem between Laguna Percebu and Bahia Santa Maria, it will be abandoned. It will be even worse than what they did to Puerto Escondido, south of Loreto.

I am so fortunate to have enjoyed Shell Island from my first time on it in the 1960's when we drove it in our Wagoneer to Percebu, camping on it from 1978 to last July... maybe my last time, but I hope not!?

CortezBlue - 2-2-2016 at 08:45 PM

Shell Beach:cool:

David K - 2-3-2016 at 08:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by CortezBlue  
Shell Beach:cool:

Yes, that's where Russ sends us those great sunrise photos from! It is next to Punta Chivato... but why have two places on the peninsula with the same name when there is another option?

Anyway, the Moon Baja guidebooks are onboard, see under Estero Percebú:

Udo - 2-3-2016 at 09:46 AM

Thanks for the clever picture, DK!