BajaNomad

Fishing Quality: Chivato or Bahia San Nicolis?

bocasdt - 6-26-2014 at 01:51 PM

Where is the overall better place for fishing? Bahia San Nicolas or Punta Chivato? What's you opinion? I think Chivato.:?:

Russ - 6-26-2014 at 02:41 PM

San Nicolas but there have been some dorado taken in numbers since Saturdays tourney here. I think San Nicolas has less commercial pressure and historically it's summer fishery is better.

Mula - 6-26-2014 at 03:17 PM

It's been deader than a door nail in San Nicolas for the last 2 weeks.

I will be there Friday thru Sunday and will give you an update, but right now they have no fish for a big college graduation fiesta there Saturday and they are sweating it! I offered to bring fish from Lopez, but there aren't any fish biting here either. . . .

Hook - 6-26-2014 at 04:12 PM

There certainly is lots of warm, blue water offshore of San Nicholas that SHOULD be holding some fish. And there are some deep reefs off of Pulpito that hold big YT and amberjack most all the time.

Not sure what kind of boat you would be using, though. Tell us that.

Mula - 6-26-2014 at 04:23 PM

Actually, I should not say it is dead around San Nicolas. . there is no bait and what fish are around there aren't biting. Maybe calamar is what they are feeding on.

Here in Lopez there are lots of bait balls. But the fish aren't biting.

DaliDali - 6-26-2014 at 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mula
Actually, I should not say it is dead around San Nicolas. . there is no bait and what fish are around there aren't biting. Maybe calamar is what they are feeding on.

Here in Lopez there are lots of bait balls. But the fish aren't biting.

How about inside the bay and around the mangroves? Same story?

Pescador - 6-26-2014 at 05:10 PM

Just compare the tournaments. Go to http://www.serialsepesca.com and look at the catches. While it was not wide open in Chivato, the guys at San Nicolas got one yellowtaila nd one sierra.

Mula - 6-26-2014 at 05:33 PM

Inside the bay and around the mangroves is what I am talking about.

Went out yesterday - got 1 small halibut and 1 sierra. Chico had 3 nice corvina, tho'.
Really slow.

LaTijereta - 6-26-2014 at 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
There certainly is lots of warm, blue water offshore of San Nicholas that SHOULD be holding some fish. And there are some deep reefs off of Pulpito that hold big YT and amberjack most all the time.

Not sure what kind of boat you would be using, though. Tell us that.

Fished that area today, coming north from Loreto.. Lots of blue water and many flying fish in the area east of Pulpito out to Mercinereo Reef.. Had cabalitos and feathers..but no bites..
Ran a nice grass line back south, and picked up one Dorado on bait...

Mula - 6-26-2014 at 06:23 PM

Yeah, that's what the guys have been saying - lots jumping and flying sights, but no bites.

Lots of boat rides.

bocasdt - 6-27-2014 at 07:23 AM

Ocean Pro: 21 ft. boat, center console, 2006 auto pilot, fish finder, 250hp Yamaha 2007

I am trying to decide whether to buy a house at San Sebastian or Punta Chivato. So I'm asking about all year fishing.

chuckie - 6-27-2014 at 09:28 AM

I hope you are not basing a house buying decision on fishing quality. We old Baja Rats see it change all the time. With the incredible overfishing of Sardinas etc. I question whether there is any such thing as consistent anymore..

Hook - 6-27-2014 at 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bocasdt
Ocean Pro: 21 ft. boat, center console, 2006 auto pilot, fish finder, 250hp Yamaha 2007

I am trying to decide whether to buy a house at San Sebastian or Punta Chivato. So I'm asking about all year fishing.

Why dont you see about renting for six months at each place and then decide?

For over a years time period, I'd choose Chivato. Plus, it's a pretty nice community.

bocasdt - 6-27-2014 at 11:53 AM

I like Chivato but want to go where the fishing is best.

Pescador - 6-27-2014 at 04:27 PM

Well, I have been fishing this area for a long time and for all around fishing you would have to go with Punta Chivato. Things can get really good at San Juanico but it seems to be more seasonal whereas Chivato can be counted on to be pretty productive all year round. It is still seasonal with Yellowtail being the major target for most of the year, then billfish and dorado starting in June until October. Inshore fishing is pretty good all the time. But San Juanico has it hands down as far as surfing is concerned.

bocasdt - 6-28-2014 at 10:21 AM

I was comparing Chivato to San Nicolas/San Sebastian

Hook - 6-28-2014 at 10:57 AM

What's your range?

From Chivato, you should be able to occasionally fish San Nicholas. Especially in the warm months when the wind will generally be on your stern, returning to Chivato. You would really have to pick your days in the winter.

And a 250 hp o/b, should push that boat extremely fast.......or pretty economically, if you stay a little above your minimum planing speed. Bring 2-3 five gallon cans and dump them in at San Sebastian or whichever side of Pulpito is calm. Then, fish the area.

That thing'll probably do at least 40 mph, won't it? There are mornings where you can do that.

[Edited on 6-28-2014 by Hook]

Pescador - 6-28-2014 at 03:19 PM

I had San Juanico on the brain, sorry about that, the spelling threw me off.

Ok, If I had my choice of the two places to live and do lots of fishing, I would have to go with San Nicholas. San Sebastian is one of the pretties places on earth. If you are looking at one of the houses there, you could hardly go wrong. I am not going to cover the differences of living in the two places and you will have to make that decision. Both are a bumpy road to get groceries and gas.

Now lets talk about the fishing. Cabrilla fishing is really hot in San Nicholas area because it is not worked quite as hard as the areas of Mulege and Santa Rosalia. There is an active fishing village at San Nicholas and La Ramadita, so they will put some pressure on the fish, but probably not nearly what happens at Mulege and San Bruno / Santa Rosalia area. For Yellowtail, that area is one of the first to see large numbers of fish when they start their migration and the area around Isla San Ildefonso can be very good. The points from San Sebastian up to Punta Santa Rosa is good for yellowtail, cabrilla, some grouper, and the usual triggerfish, etc. South is pretty good to Punta El Pulpito but from there on things get hit really hard by the Loreto group.

Forget fishing Ildefonso from Chivato, that is almost a 100 mile round trip and can get brutal when the north wind blows. But Chivato has some great fishing and they fish pretty much the same area for yellowtail from Tortuga to San Marcos that we fish from San Bruno, but they have a longer run. They also work the areas called the "220" and the Ranch which can hold good fish at certain times.

I think the area at San Sebastian is one of the prettiest area in the whole of baja, but I could not live there. The run into Loreto for gas and food, would preclude me from considering that. It is bad enough to do the Chivato run to Mulege, but maybe that is why I live in San Bruno (on a paved road, with electricity for AC, etc.,) But the people who live there must love it and the houses are knock dead beautiful.

Hope that helps and sorry for not reading more carefully.

[Edited on 6-28-2014 by Pescador]

bocasdt - 6-30-2014 at 12:01 PM

great info! Thanks!