BajaNomad

After 2 wks in Baja now Driving north to US: Cabo Pulmo-Loreto (day 1) report

Whale-ista - 6-27-2014 at 11:25 AM

At Cocos Cabanas in Loreto today after having travelled 300 miles of road yesterday, ranging from very bad (Pulmo to La Ribera) to bad due to construction in many areas btwn La Paz/Cd. Constitucion and Cd. Insurgentes/Loreto.

First time staying at Cocos. It's been lovely!

For those who don't know: Cocos is a well-maintained, clean place, near plaza, fishing etc. In a neighborhood (so be prepared for roosters, dogs and music from homes nearby.)

Liked the special touches: nicer quality toiletries, soft fluffy towels, and cool water in the very well maintained pool to hang around, chatting with other guests. Most had spouses out on fishing boats this morning. (Darn- arrived too late last night to enjoy the barbecue)

Also has a good lending library of books and VCR/DVDs. I enjoyed a mystery/suspense movie to help unwind and sleep after several hours of driving,

Talk to Stephen about Nomad rates and coconuts to go! And be sure to visit him and his large, friendly black lab in the office. (lab and poodle now get along just fine)

FOOD: Returned to Pepegina's restaurant for breakfast- was there 2x last week on way south. Nice to have a server who remembers what I prefer, and the food has been well prepared, fresh and tasty each time. Plus: free coffee with breakfast, and it's prepared with an espresso machine- strong and iced for me.

Also- good place to people watch on the Plaza.

Now: off to Guerrero negro for phase 2!

shari - 6-27-2014 at 11:40 AM

have a safe trip north missy!

BajaBlanca - 7-21-2014 at 06:34 PM

Whale-ista. We are headed to Cabo Pulmo for snorkeling in September.....can you tell us about your experience there? Did you go snorkeling? Did you rent equipment? Who from?

Any other experts, please pitch in!

Whale-ista - 7-21-2014 at 08:18 PM

I went snorkeling with Cabo Pulmo sports center. $45 for about 3 hours, they took us to 3 locations for swimming. Masks, fins and snorkels and mandatory life vests provided, plus bottled water. No snacks tho.

They are the large shop at the main beach, next to Palapa restaurant.

A woman named Angeles and her family Owns the restaurant and I enjoyed the food.

Showers are available nearby, or will you stay in town?

Enjoy!

[Edited on 7-22-2014 by Whale-ista]