BajaNomad

A genuine WTF moment!

shari - 7-2-2014 at 02:44 PM

Awhile back a good Nomad amigo and his buddy were here fishing from their inflatable. I stopped by the campground the first afternoon to see how they did. Dale gestured over to the boat and I was prepared to see some fish in the bottom...but alas...no fish at all. I looked at him questioningly and he said look closer at the boat and this is what i saw...

WTF???? How is that even possible??? Only Dale could achieve something like that. He has these implements on his belt and when he sat down on the pontoon to drive, he heard a strange Pop Pop... they both punctured the pontoon.

But being the dedicated fishermen they are, they fished anyway and caught a whack of calicos all of which they returned to the sea. Truly a WTF incident eh.

Ouch!

BeemerDan - 7-2-2014 at 02:55 PM

I can totally relate, I had the seat on my BMW motorcycle recovered, and the latch is a bit sticky, so I have to give the seat a whack to latch it, I should of taken the keys out of my hand 1st tho.Nice hole!:fire:

wetto - 7-2-2014 at 02:56 PM

Thanks for sharing photos Shari.

backs up another fishing story.

willardguy - 7-2-2014 at 02:59 PM

the achilles heel ? :lol:

shari - 7-2-2014 at 03:00 PM

I wouldnt believe it if I hadnt seen it with my own eyes...then again...there are a few things Dale has done that are pretty unbelievable...he's a legend!

bbbob - 7-2-2014 at 03:03 PM

I was hopeing for a pic of calico...like all pics from baja...

bbbob - 7-2-2014 at 03:05 PM

I was hoping for a pic of calico...like all pics from baja...I can spell a little maybe

bruin4l - 7-2-2014 at 04:01 PM

Now that's something that I would do!

BajaRat - 7-2-2014 at 04:16 PM

At least it was him..........
When I first saw the pics I thought, Someone hates inflatables ! :O

Timo1 - 7-2-2014 at 04:47 PM

Reminds me of someone I know quite well that locked himself out of his truck when the tide was coming in......The boat was loaded and the truck was locked

[Edited on 7-2-2014 by Timo1]

bajacalifornian - 7-2-2014 at 05:25 PM

WTF?!

shari - 7-2-2014 at 05:54 PM

Timo..that definately was another WTF moment! HAHAHAHA...wait till you see today's fishing report dude! You will want to fire up the RV and race down!

BajaRat - 7-2-2014 at 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Timo..that definately was another WTF moment! HAHAHAHA...wait till you see today's fishing report dude! You will want to fire up the RV and race down!

Tic tic tic pescados por favor :yes:

shari - 7-2-2014 at 06:35 PM

No time to get the pic posted...busy with sashimi, Don Julio and guests...you know how that goes! Leaving now so Tomas can cook up some...... for all of us...hasta manana!

bajalearner - 7-2-2014 at 07:11 PM

And you didn't mean WTF'; wow that's fantastic. Ouch.

vandenberg - 7-2-2014 at 07:12 PM

You have a great way of keeping us in suspense!:biggrin::biggrin:

BajaRat - 7-2-2014 at 08:00 PM

OMG its big n yummy :o

Timinator - 7-2-2014 at 08:13 PM

Shari, I sent you a message, not sure if I did things right in sending the reply. Let me know if you didn't get it.

Timinator - 7-2-2014 at 08:51 PM

Had something similar happen to us with a speared fish that went crazy as my buddy tried to get it into the zodiac. We were out at one of the islands at the the BoLA. The fish punctured the main tube a couple of times in just a few seconds. I was amazed how stable the boat was with one flat tube. Really wasn't a problem getting back to La Gringa.

shari - 7-2-2014 at 09:26 PM

got the message Tim....

OK...here's a hint...it's not a yellowtail although we did catch the first 2 of the season today!

jimcallard - 7-3-2014 at 11:05 AM

The name of the boat (1985) is the May Pop.....but it never has. To be honest Dale, Bob and I and a few others have been inshore all over Baja in this great Achilles inflatable. One other incident, but that is another story. Always got home, except for once, and that includes a trip Dale took out to the Catalina islands from LA. Not sure the guy that went with him ever got back in the boat.

We had some issues with a camera, so no pics but the calico fishing was off the hook-both out front and up north at San Rocque. We mainly threw plastics with light tackle and fish were 16-22 inches. Gotta love the way they come to your lure from under that kelp. And of course, Shari and Juan's hospitality was second to none.

Dale's truck is a story in itself. He bought it new, one new engine, and some serious upgrades underneath, but it still runs like a top and goes anywhere. Dale does bodywork for Hollywood sets, fishes when he can. One of the best paint guys in LA and does lot of jokes-wagons. Anyway, the May Pop is a great platform supporting our kayak fishing in mag bay too. Awesome trip to La Posa Grande Lat Fall.

Pretty funny watching a guy sit down on the side of the boat and stick both ends of the scissor into the raft! Always carry the standard car tire repair kit.... We fished for two more hours....

willardguy - 7-3-2014 at 11:28 AM

:lol: May Pop! are you fishing braided line, the reason for the scissors?

carexpert - 7-7-2014 at 07:28 PM

Jim, I HAVE gone back on the Maypop since Dale's 2nd trip to Catalina! (I wasn't there on his 1st trip.)
Proud to say, that wasn't even the most eventful trip with him. That title has to go to an afternoon run out of Punta Buffeo to the islands in glassy water and the return trip in a full blown chubasco. In fading/faded light, camp no longer visible on shore, water over the bow, wind trying to flip us to the mainland and an angry finger reef trying to do what Dale's scissors did so well in Ascension!!!
Great times in Baja!

shari - 7-8-2014 at 06:59 AM

lucky you carexpert to have survived an adventure with Dale!!!! never a dull moment with him.

jimcallard - 7-8-2014 at 08:58 PM

Oh heard about that trip out of Punta Buffeo....I'm thinking as long as Dale is driving something red, we will be ok...

luv2fish - 7-8-2014 at 09:38 PM

I think this too would qualify as a W.T.F. moment.

http://www.afntijuana.info/seguridad/29231_muere_al_caer_en_...