BajaNomad

North to South trip

Frank - 7-3-2014 at 11:42 PM

North to South trip…
June 14th we flew up to Portland Oregon, grabbed a rental car and checked out the waterfalls etc.

Our end destination was Silverdale Washington to visit friends. Seattle was ok, but it’s just like any other big city, full of people. Ferry ride across the sound.

Friends brought us out to Hurricane ridge on the Olympic Peninsula, along with some other cool places. I saw my first Bald Eagle in the wild.

We flew back home on June 18th, packed the 4Runner for Baja and were South bound June 20th.

San Quintin the first night. We stayed at the Old Mill. Nice people running it, checked in was given our complimentary Ice Cold Pacfico on the spot. Rooms were inexpensive, nice and clean. The restaurant was expensive by Baja standards and the food was just ok. Service was good.

Anyone know the history behind this ? Looks like a old wooden hull and keel.

Para llevar por favor

Bahia Asuncion for 2 days. We stayed with Shari and Juan in the rock rooms. They sure have been busy out there building, place is coming along nicely. We spent our 2 days relaxing and exploring. Juanitas was closed for dinner but Lonchera Mari’s was just as good. Juanitas is like going to grandma’s house though.

A little black sand

Ive never seen so many Tarantula Hawks on 1 bush before.

You know what these guys mean…

The view from Shari’s place is hard to leave it, but on to Loreto.

San Ignacio

You know how you drive past a road and say someday we will go down that one. Today was someday. We went all the way to the end around the 3 Virgins and to the Geo Thermal plant. No one said stop, so I just kept driving, until I could hear the crackle of High Voltage and hiss of steam.

We met Samuel on the road. He started out in San Francisco and is heading to Panama.

We overnighted in Loreto at the Oasis. Nice rooms, good Bartender, and safe location to park the 4Runner. No pics, it was 104 and the A/C was feeling too good.

In all the years Ive been going to the East Cape, Ive always avoided La Paz by taking the cut off road. We don’t like big cities and the traffic. Once you get past the initial part, its not bad out towards end. We stayed 1 night at La Concha. If I decide to fly in, this is the place I would stay at. Service, food and room were great. We went out to look at Tecolote, Bandalera beaches and bays. Not that impressed, but I’m spoiled with Punta Arenas.

On to the East Cape and Verdugos.
We went to go chase Roosters out at one of our favorite spots, Punta Arena. The sand is deep, but worth it.

The wind picked up both days, and basically blew us off the beach.

We had quite a few chances, but just couldn’t get them to commit. They would chase the lures right up to the dry sand, it was a great show, just no hook ups.
We hit the bat Cave of La Curva. Deep sand in the arroyo, so watch out. That little spec is me just inside the cave, just to give it some scale.

Looking out

Vampiros…

Next day was our turn fishing with Nino and Jose.

Don’t let the early morning calm fool you…

This is late afternoon.

Ahhh

We decided while coming down that the only fish we were bringing back would be a few Pargo. Everything else gets released, and will not be lifted out of the water and onto the deck for pictures.
A few hot sweaty hours of butterfly jigging produced 3 huachinango. We did get rocked a few times.

We had enough pargo for dinner, so we were off to fish Roosters. We missed the bite by about ½ hour, not a issue. Nothing could top last years Bubbas anyway.
The camera gear was on board so we were off to fish Marlin. The wind had really kicked up a swell, helps hide the boat, but its rough on camera gear.
2 stripers and 1 sail were successfully revived and released.

Ok its time to head in…

We make the turn and start heading for the barn. You know what happens when the boat turns…
SHORT line gets slammed!!!The Tiagra 30 is screaming. Port side has the biggest Marlin Ive ever seen in person, jumping and greyhounding up the side of the boat. Nino hits the throttle and turns away. Jose and I are clearing tangled lines. Nate is holding the Tiagra that’s still dumping line.
Decks clear now, wind is way up and just sitting still the waves are close to coming over the stern. We cannot back down to gain line, we have to keep the fish to the side. She never jumps again, just slugging it out down deep. I think she died down there, the last part of the fight it was dead weight.
[img] http://www.youatplay.com/Travel/North-to-South-trip-2014/Baja-section/i-FdL4Djm/0/XL/_MG_7192Frank-XL.jpg[/img]
45 minutes and we have her to the boat, leader in hand.

We try to revive her by hand but its way to rough to hang over the side holding such a big fish. We decide to put a rope on her bill and pull her. Another 45 minutes spent try to revive her.

She wasn’t going to make it, so she came on board for the ride back to the dock. We arrived at around 4, over 1.5 hours late.

I only expected to bring home a few Pargos in my little cooler. We had a Costco cooler bag {around $8.00} in the 4Runner and some 6mil trash bags. Cooler bag goes into the trash bag, fish go into the cooler and 2 bags of ice. Zip it shut and don’t open it. Fish was ice cold when we got home.
Roads that have been rebuilt are beautiful. They are working on some sections, no big deal. Yes the section south of Loreto can have a long delay. Get out and stretch your legs and check out the view, its not something you will get to do next year. If you cannot handle the wait, remember that most road crews don’t work on Sundays. We didn’t have any road delays coming home on Sunday.
This is just a taste of why I love Baja!

Mula - 7-4-2014 at 04:49 AM

Wow, great report and trip!
Awesome photos!

woody with a view - 7-4-2014 at 05:06 AM

we know what those guys mean..... TUNA!

Russ - 7-4-2014 at 06:18 AM

I really enjoyed your trip! Thanks
The photo work is exceptional too:o

shari - 7-4-2014 at 08:03 AM

As always it was great to see you all and the photos are fantastic...my favorites are the first waterfall, the rusty wreck, the dancing marlin and that sunset is a classic...beautiful. Glad your trip was such a success.

ehall - 7-4-2014 at 08:11 AM

Fantastic pictures, thanks.

David K - 7-4-2014 at 08:51 AM

Very beautiful photos. The bat cave was pretty cool, huh?

Pacifico - 7-4-2014 at 09:16 AM

Great report and thanks for posting all those pics! That takes a lot of time...
Makes me want to go chase some roosters on the beach!

DJL - 7-4-2014 at 09:55 AM

Great report , and fantastic photos !!

Fishing is , and always will be a Blood sport . I do what I can to release 99% of my Fish in good shape . I believe that most will make it (based on 45 years of experience) , and when one doesn't survive ... I can live with it .

Glad you had a good time !

D.~

bajario - 7-4-2014 at 10:21 AM

Killer photos and report. I remember seeing your posts over on BD when I used to lurk there. 13 days and counting and it's our turn.:bounce::bounce:

Cliffy - 7-4-2014 at 10:22 AM

You have an eye for good photos Thanks!

TMW - 7-4-2014 at 11:58 AM

Very very nice with beautiful pictures too, thanks. I too have always wanted to go back to the geo plant and check it out but never did. The sign at the hwy says there is a hotel back there did you check it out?

willardguy - 7-4-2014 at 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Very very nice with beautiful pictures too, thanks. I too have always wanted to go back to the geo plant and check it out but never did. The sign at the hwy says there is a hotel back there did you check it out?
the hotel isn't far off the highway, it has a nice restaurant and a few rooms, and a cool lookout tower.

[Edited on 7-4-2014 by willardguy]

TMW - 7-4-2014 at 12:33 PM

Thanks

willardguy - 7-4-2014 at 12:43 PM

I have no real history, but this boat sat out on the peninsula west of cielito lindo for decades and the entire hull was intact, somewhere I have a picture of it. I believe it was al gaston who said it had been a barge back in the day?

jbcoug - 7-4-2014 at 02:10 PM

Frank, Absolutely a fabulous report. Glad you enjoyed your time in the NW, recognized all your stops. The Baja portion just made me drool! Been to many of the places, but you captured them beautifully. Enjoyed all the pictures, but the fishing ones were really fun. Can't wait to check out some of the other areas you showed. Thanks!

BajaBlanca - 7-4-2014 at 04:47 PM

Wow....just wow.

Bajahowodd - 7-4-2014 at 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
Wow....just wow.

Me too! Exactly.

BooJumMan - 7-5-2014 at 10:29 AM

I could seriously read and look at these photos and your report for days. A little sad when I got to the end. haha.

windgrrl - 7-5-2014 at 11:01 AM

Beautiful photos...glad to see my favourite chair on Verdugo's deck is waiting for me!

El Vergel - 7-11-2014 at 02:55 PM

What a great report!

Kgryfon - 7-11-2014 at 03:04 PM

Very nice! The third phot of the moss-covered trees was so green it almost made my eyes hurt. Just brilliant! The Baja photos are just as nice. Looks like you and your family had a great time!