BajaNomad

From 'bbbait' (Wayno): Coco Needs Truck Battery, + photos from last week

David K - 7-4-2014 at 02:59 PM

The night before I left on the copter ride, Wayno sent me a bunch of photos to share. I replied back I could do it after I go back, so I assumed he would put out the word on Nomad. I just heard from him that he is on the road and cannot post beyond Facebook... so here is the pics and messages from Wayno. PS I did tell Cameron about this, but the Coco Corner visit was scrubbed if there was anything we could have done.

OK, now from Wayno of BB Bait & Tackle in Blythe, CA:

If you want, you could post on the "Cocos battery" photo his predicament. He blew is battery up and is dead in the water. He's not to worried about it at the moment, but he needs to be in Guerrero Negro July 20th to sign legal papers to retain his social security. So he will need a ride or a battery by then. I doubt I will be going again that soon, but would gladly donate a battery for him if someone is heading that way. Only trouble is I am in Blythe...

Coco's truck, Chevy 3500, 350 engine
His battery blew up!

[pics of Gonzaga Bay, Arroyo Santa Maria bridge construction, Coco, battery area, Ensenada fish market]

TMW - 7-4-2014 at 03:30 PM

I was thinking of going down the pacific side the week of the 13th to do a little surf fishing. I can take him a battery on the way down.

TMW - 7-9-2014 at 09:31 AM

I'll be down on Monday the 14th with a battery for Coco.

David K - 7-9-2014 at 05:30 PM

How super! Thanks Tom for your kindness to Mr. Coco!

bbbait - 7-9-2014 at 07:59 PM

What David K said....

redhilltown - 7-9-2014 at 11:08 PM

Ditto!!!

fresh tomatoes

John M - 7-10-2014 at 05:34 AM

If you have the chance Tom, remember that he loves fresh tomatoes - we took him a half dozen and four were gone in the blink of an eye!

TMW - 7-10-2014 at 09:22 AM

Tomatoes it will be. I'd take him some from my garden but the skins are really tough this year and they're on the small size.

ehall - 7-10-2014 at 09:42 PM

very generous, he always likes limes also.

John M - 7-11-2014 at 06:39 AM

Last time at Coco's he asked if we could get replacement wheels for his wheelchair. After looking it over we came to the conclusion that trying to match up wheels/hub mounts and all the rest would be very tough. So we figure a newer wheelchair would be better. It seems the "tire" surface of his current wheelchair is so banged up it is very tough for him to roll it over the dirt. Two dimensions are crucial for him, seat height and seat width.

We took measurements of his current chair, showing a seat width of 17+" is ok, and the ground to seat height needs to be at 19" - don't know if these are a standard dimension or not.

John M

TMW - 7-11-2014 at 10:33 AM

There are lots of wheelchairs on ebay in the $100 range. But I assume the arm rails would have to be removed. Not sure if a brace would need to be added for support. I'll look closer at Cocos chair and take multiple pictures to compare. As to just the wheels I'll get the make of the chair and pictures of the wheels to see if they can be matched.

wheel info

John M - 7-11-2014 at 11:54 AM

Tom, I have that, I'll post it later today. Having issues with photobucket in that I get a warning of sorts almost soon as I open it.....If I can't get into photobucket I'll email the make and all that to you this afternoon. John

David K - 7-11-2014 at 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by John M
Tom, I have that, I'll post it later today. Having issues with photobucket in that I get a warning of sorts almost soon as I open it.....If I can't get into photobucket I'll email the make and all that to you this afternoon. John

John, email me any photos you want to show here.

TMW - 7-12-2014 at 09:54 AM

I got some info from John on the wheelchair. One of the options was a bigger rear tire which would make it easier for Coco to get around. When I get back we can research it further. I can take a new chair to him almost anytime once we decide on it. I'm shopping this afternoon after motocross and will pick up tomatoes, limes, etc. I grow lemon cucumbers and will take him some, thay are great.

Heard from XRphlang and he is joining us after Cocos at Santa Rosalillita for some fishing and exploring as we make our way up the coast and take pictures of all the surf spots.

TMW - 7-20-2014 at 11:51 AM

Battery delivered on Monday July 14th. His truck was in Puertecitos being rewired when we got to his place. Also gave him a bag of Roma tomatoes and lemon cucumbers. A big box of Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies, instant coffee, a bag of rice and pinto beans and of course a 30 lb bag of cat food for his furry friends.

David K - 7-20-2014 at 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Battery delivered on Monday July 14th. His truck was in Puertecitos being rewired when we got to his place. Also gave him a bag of Roma tomatoes and lemon cucumbers. A big box of Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies, instant coffee, a bag of rice and pinto beans and of course a 30 lb bag of cat food for his furry friends.

Great news Tom!! :bounce::biggrin:

ehall - 7-21-2014 at 08:24 AM

Great job

wrjorgen - 7-22-2014 at 04:06 PM

Maybe someone could get one of these for Coco.

http://www.coastal.ca.gov/access/beach-wheelchairs.html

Wheelchair

John M - 7-22-2014 at 07:46 PM

Unfortunately these (per the story) usually require someone to push - Coco cannot use that style.

I've been looking into other chairs and will try to post what I find. So far I've located one manufacturer that has wider tires with some sort of insert to make the wider tires flat proof. Sorta pricey at just a bit over $600 - more research needs to be done.

John M