BajaNomad

Clive Cussler's Book "Blue Gold"

Gypsy Jan - 7-6-2014 at 10:33 AM

Much of the book is set in Baja and they get so many things wrong.

For example, they spell Rosarito as "Rosarita".

Yes, the book was published about fifteen years ago, but I do not like the lack of due diligence.

woody with a view - 7-6-2014 at 11:04 AM

i used to read all those books but soon discovered his stories were a formula!!!

BajaBlanca - 7-6-2014 at 11:08 AM

Irritating as it is, it is all about literary license ... That being said, I, hands down, prefer books where the authors really do their homework and make the story all the more relevant.

desertcpl - 7-6-2014 at 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
Irritating as it is, it is all about literary license ... That being said, I, hands down, prefer books where the authors really do their homework and make the story all the more relevant.

I agree,,, it is irritating,, I was reading a blog the other day about main land MX,, the author had only been in MX for a few months, and is an expert on all things MX

sargentodiaz - 7-6-2014 at 12:10 PM

Having achieved a great deal of fame, Cussler has succumbed to the bane of all such people - he hires people to do the research and fill in the blanks to the outline he provides.

One has to read his works with an eye to entertainment and not so much accuracy.

We all make mistakes. After hundreds - perhaps thousands - of hours of research, it is always possible to miss some of the truly important stuff.

David K - 7-6-2014 at 12:10 PM

You know how many books (guidebooks even) mis-spell Guerrero Negro as 'Guerro Negro', or Puertecitos as 'Puertocitos', the list is nearly endless ('San Vincente', 'Santo Thomas', 'San Quentin', etc. all sic)....??? !

vacaenbaja - 7-6-2014 at 02:52 PM

Ever hear of a Guero Negro? I need a umlat!

David K - 7-6-2014 at 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vacaenbaja
Ever hear of a Güero Negro? I need a umlat!

Like that?

Alt + 0252 = ü

vacaenbaja - 7-6-2014 at 10:18 PM

I GET
Ú ?

David K - 7-6-2014 at 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vacaenbaja
I GET
Ú ?

Interesting, for me Alt + 163 or 0250 = ú (oh, yours is a capital U with accent)

Here is Alt + 155 = Ü