BajaNomad

East Cape Experts-need your honest assessment

superbusydad - 7-6-2014 at 04:03 PM

I am going to be Villa de Cortes/ Palmas de Cortez for 5 nights and will fish two days on the El Loco ll. The boat choices were limited when I booked, but several sources said that was a good boat. What do you think? If the El Loco ll out of Vanwormer fleet is not satisfactory what boats do you recommend might be available? I am taking my kids (3) for the fist time to East Cape. and want a great experience. Please give me your honest opinion! thanks Mike

Frank - 7-6-2014 at 05:14 PM

I have yet to hear of a bad boat crew in the East Cape. When the skipper asks you what you want to fish for, you ask what's biting. Wait for his answer and then ask about the species your looking for. Fish for what's biting. Your going to love it down there. Do you have any side trips planned?

vseasport - 7-6-2014 at 05:42 PM

You could not have drawn a better skipper. Julio is as good as they get and his gear and boat are better than most. You will be in very good and very experienced hands.

Osprey - 7-6-2014 at 05:55 PM

The Osprey will be out in the morning fishing in the panga "La Fiera" and if I see you guys I'll wave and shout. Looks like it couldn't be any flatter so you can go where the fish are and get back to Palmas in comfort and safety.

Promise to send us the pix of you and the boys with dorado, sails, blues, roosters, etc.

UnoMas - 7-6-2014 at 06:08 PM

Ditto on what VSS said. Julio has many years fishing the East Cape. Listen to your Captain as he will know what species are around at the time...;) Make sure you take a lot of bait as it is better to have it and not need it as it is to need it and not have it..:light:
Good Luck!

CaboMagic - 7-6-2014 at 06:45 PM

Mike - Another set of double thumbs up for Julio/El Loco II - have repped them in Cabo for years - always very happy guests aboard. Enjoy your trip!

Bomberro - 7-6-2014 at 07:34 PM

Mike if Mark says its a good boat and crew, you are in good hands. I have fished with El Loco too, good boat and listen to the skipper. Lucky to get that boat! Have fun and enjoy the time in Baja. Fishing in always good, just remember its fishing!

superbusydad - 7-6-2014 at 07:48 PM

Great news. thanks so much! We will spend a day at Los Frailes and Cabo Palmo and maybe relax on day. My kids like adventure and are very excited! I spent many summers in Cabo Palmo in the 70s and 80s with my parents camping.

mike odell - 7-6-2014 at 07:51 PM

another double thumbs up for El Loco dos, Julo is a fish magnet!
If the boat goes down, as sometimes happens, Look at Marks boats,
Jen Wren fleet, or Daveed on the Lellarea {sp} 31 bertram, David is another
fishing magnet!
Enjoy!

superbusydad - 7-6-2014 at 08:05 PM

I am bringing most of my gear and poles, and have fished the area since the early 90s. What is a basic list of tackle and gear to bring since I have not been done in 3 years. Moreover, I have not taken the kids in the past so I have to bring more gear!

fishing gear !!

captkw - 7-6-2014 at 09:13 PM

answer: Good top notch!!! wire or braided strand leader with crimps and bearing swivels,,,hook sharpener and GOOD hooks (no double tuna) single tamdom hooks work well....good pair of glasses (binocs) and sunblock (fresh/new)and go rip some lips..wish ya good luck !! :cool: ps a good hat like a "Tilly" white "Floater" is worth the price...IMO

vacaenbaja - 7-6-2014 at 10:28 PM

It gets hot out there. When I used to fish marlin out of Buena Vista I always used a
broad brimed cotton hat like the Tilly in which I would pack the top with ice. It was so hot that you never really got soaked as the water would melt and get soaked into the cotton which would keep your head very cool with just the evaporation of the water.

BajaParrothead - 7-7-2014 at 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vseasport
You could not have drawn a better skipper. Julio is as good as they get and his gear and boat are better than most. You will be in very good and very experienced hands.

Mark,
That was as classy of a post as I've ever seen. I was going to suggest to the OP to contact Jen Wren due to the modern comforts and top shelf gear on the boat, but you stole the thunder by graciously giving your support to Julio. Sir you are a true professional!!

[Edited on 7-7-2014 by BajaParrothead]

Confident with the El Loco ll but....

superbusydad - 7-8-2014 at 04:58 AM

I am so glad that Julio has such a great reputation, and I am excited. However, I am taking my son 9, daughters 11 and 13 fishing and are eager and excited to go. However, I am worried that Julio's deck hand will be over worked. What is your advice to remedy the problem? I will pay for another deck hand to assist but I have never hear of this!

Hook - 7-8-2014 at 05:13 AM

One deck hand for four anglers will be fine. The skipper can assist in a real pinch, if he doesnt have to remain at the helm. And then there is DAD, who will gladly put down his rod to help the kids out.

The sole on that boat is not THAT big. Having four anglers and TWO deckhands looks like too little room, to me.

superbusydad - 7-8-2014 at 07:57 AM

Thank you for your advice, and of course I will assist! I really appreciate the picture (will share with kids)

EL LOCO

captkw - 7-8-2014 at 08:59 AM

Is that a Bertram ???

dorado50 - 7-8-2014 at 07:18 PM

Blackfin 29