BajaNomad

Baja? Why wait?

Osprey - 7-7-2014 at 12:21 PM

Grass Widow

Early on, a few white ones came all the way down the Baja California peninsula to the very end. Most stopped well short of this prickly place – content to enjoy the lovely strangeness of the north and mid-drift. They came because of pure wanderlust and curiosity. Many new ones come for little reason – they belong nowhere; Contrarians riding their ponies backward they can be found anywhere there is no law, pure (or almost pure) water and a few others like them.

Legions of workaday Califas vacation in the south, treating Baja like a grass widow who is waiting, not high in a meadow, but in an oven touching an unfathomable sea. More and more retired boomers are moving to this Florida Lite place and finding almost what they have been dreaming of all these years.

Midlife visitors are often disappointed to find the widow could wait no longer and has taken up with others who love her rustic charm. They may remember her gently handling the reins on a buckboard rumbling up a road to a rancho – if they wait too long they may find another vision; a woman they cannot recognize who is almost trotting down a busy street, screaming into her cell phone and clutching her yoga mat like it was a Ming silk tapestry.

micah202 - 7-7-2014 at 12:30 PM

....mushroom season already!!?? :wow: ;D

Osprey - 7-7-2014 at 02:06 PM

No seasons for me. I don't need no stinking hallucinogens. I'm high on Baja. More on old than new or future I think.

DanO - 7-7-2014 at 02:36 PM

You got a chuckle out of me again, George. Fortunately, a good stretch of bad road, the lack of an electrical grid, a fickle water supply, big Pacific swells, and lots of wind have combined to keep the yoga mats at bay for my little neighborhood. Rumors of development swirl around periodically but always die off, just like the spring flowers. Even the tuna pens couldn't make a go of it (but there's a silver lining -- the float rings make sturdy driveway borders).

pauldavidmena - 7-7-2014 at 04:31 PM

Contrarians of the world unite! Happy Hour begins... now.

Iflyfish - 7-7-2014 at 05:31 PM

Indeed Osprey, indeed!

watizname - 7-7-2014 at 08:42 PM

Jorge, sometimes you blow my mind.
Thanks.

freediverbrian - 7-7-2014 at 09:34 PM

I put on some Greatful Dead reread the post and understood everything

willyAirstream - 7-10-2014 at 06:10 AM

I read it backwards and found the secrets. Always enjoy your thoughts Osprey.
Grateful and thankful.

Osprey - 7-10-2014 at 07:43 AM

Thanks Willy, whatever works. Aboard ship in the Navy, out of boredom I suppose, I read all of Shakespeare's comedies upside down.

Udo - 7-10-2014 at 12:32 PM

Osprey and myself have a very close relationship friendship, however long-distance it is. George is a terrific fisherman and part time non-fiction writer.

p.s. all the speculations about my early demise are premature.

I may have only 4' of colon left, and will need to walk with an ostomy bag around my waist for the rest of my life, but you can't keep an old German warhorse down for long.

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Thanks Willy, whatever works. Aboard ship in the Navy, out of boredom I suppose, I read all of Shakespeare's comedies upside down.

willyAirstream - 7-10-2014 at 12:43 PM

Osprey, any links to your stories? I enjoy your writings.

Kgryfon - 7-10-2014 at 01:55 PM

I had to look up the term "grass widow." Never heard it before. Thanks for broadening my horizon with such a wonderful little piece.

BajaRat - 7-10-2014 at 02:07 PM

Good stuff, Cheers :cool:

Udo - 7-10-2014 at 04:15 PM

willyAirstream, Just type in the BN search criteria OSPREY, and you'll get all of George"s posts since day one.

Quote:
Originally posted by willyAirstream
Osprey, any links to your stories? I enjoy your writings.

[Edited on 7-10-2014 by Udo]

805gregg - 7-10-2014 at 06:23 PM

Too late, been there done that, time for new places, there is always a nice place waiting to be found

Bubba - 7-12-2014 at 04:10 AM

Good stuff Osprey.

Timinator - 7-12-2014 at 06:28 AM

There are lot's of places in Baja that aren't going to see silk laden maidens with cell phones and yoga mats for quite some time. Although, I haven't seen a wild buffalo in a while.

Genecag - 7-14-2014 at 08:40 AM

very poetic and meaningful!

Ken Bondy - 7-14-2014 at 10:08 AM

I understood every word. Just not the sentences :lol: Seriously Jorge I always love your writing!! You know that.....

You are fashionable

baconjr - 7-15-2014 at 09:51 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/09/bethany-townsend_n_...

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Osprey and myself have a very close relationship friendship, however long-distance it is. George is a terrific fisherman and part time non-fiction writer.

p.s. all the speculations about my early demise are premature.

I may have only 4' of colon left, and will need to walk with an ostomy bag around my waist for the rest of my life, but you can't keep an old German warhorse down for long.

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey

WHY WAIT ???

captkw - 7-15-2014 at 09:57 PM

There is a 1000's reasons why most folk's for many,,many years don't go to Baja this time of year !! to start with its HOT !! GET A GRIP>>>ITS HOT!! and there are SOO many other nice places to GO Right Now !! Think Oh.... maybe Alaska !! Yukon,,BC,,,WA,,ORG... N. CA

actually, it's about 100 dF...

neilm81301 - 7-16-2014 at 05:54 PM

... in Spokane!

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
There is a 1000's reasons why most folk's for many,,many years don't go to Baja this time of year !! to start with its HOT !! GET A GRIP>>>ITS HOT!! and there are SOO many other nice places to GO Right Now !! Think Oh.... maybe Alaska !! Yukon,,BC,,,WA,,ORG... N. CA

UnoMas - 7-16-2014 at 06:41 PM

It is the humidity not the temperature that I can't take. Totally different than 100 in Spokane....Jus sayin. ;)

Bob H - 7-16-2014 at 07:04 PM

Oh My George... you always blow my mind away! Great stuff!~