BajaNomad

Anchovy Invasion

bajaguy - 7-9-2014 at 09:57 PM

http://fox5sandiego.com/2014/07/09/anchovy-invasion-becomes-...

Kgryfon - 7-9-2014 at 10:28 PM

Well, good news I guess? Lots of bait fish mean good feeding for the rest of the fish but it's troublesome that they are in so close to shore. I hope this isn't some variation of whale beaching...

Mexitron - 7-10-2014 at 05:28 AM

Might be related to the El Nino somehow?

dtbushpilot - 7-10-2014 at 07:46 AM

Radiation from the ***ashima meltdown forcing them to shore, look for mutated fish growing legs and climbing out of the water to escape the radiation....you'll see, Darwin was right...:lol::lol:

Bajajorge - 7-10-2014 at 08:06 AM

Anchovies only belong on a pizza.:biggrin:

Ken Bondy - 7-10-2014 at 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajajorge
Anchovies only belong on a pizza.:biggrin:

...or a Caesar salad.

willardguy - 7-10-2014 at 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
hammerhead sharks sighted this week by whale watchers out of dana point and last week a yellowfin tuna and a needlefish taken from newport bay. coincidence? I think not ;D

elgatoloco - 7-10-2014 at 08:44 AM

My bro in law and his buddy were fishing from kayak last weekend in Baja Norte kelpbeds and limited on calicos, got so they were releasing anything under 2-3 pounds. Also caught at least one WSB. At one point his buddy had something from behind catch his eye and a 7-8 foot hammerhead was trying to get fish off his stringer. Startled to say the least. :o

Edit for More concise info - They did NOT catch WSB. They saw MANY WSB including some BIG ones. They were not biting because they were chasing the Northern Anchovy swarm as it headed north. They also saw many dolphins leaping out of the water all around them as they were in on the feeding frenzy. The hammerhead did not get any of the fish on the stirnger

[Edited on 7-11-2014 by elgatoloco]

Kgryfon - 7-10-2014 at 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
hammerhead sharks sighted this week by whale watchers out of dana point and last week a yellowfin tuna and a needlefish taken from newport bay. coincidence? I think not ;D

Yeah, i was goong to mention that, too. Swimmers beware! Bait attracts predators!

Cliffy - 7-10-2014 at 07:26 PM

When do the net boats show up ?

DawnPatrol - 7-10-2014 at 08:08 PM

When we were fishing San Quintin towards the end of May the biomass of anchovy there was incredible. They were there for two days, and then they were gone.
It was all heading North, so I guess they ended up off San Diego
I think they are called Northern anchovy or something like that

Skipjack Joe - 7-10-2014 at 08:13 PM

I used to see schools like that at Scripps pier in the early 70's, from the surf to the end of the pier.

Cisco - 7-10-2014 at 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffy
When do the net boats show up ?

I think they are in the preserve at that location so Everingham's bait boats are not fishing there.

Most of San Diego's bait fishing would go off on the Strand (Coronado/Imperial Beach) and much of the time the schools would be inshore, starting just outside the break.

Kgryfon - 7-11-2014 at 03:37 PM

Yes, I've scuba dived (dove?) in that area. It is a protected reserve.

bajacalifornian - 7-12-2014 at 08:56 AM

Feeding frenzy of the birds, anchovies passing K-38 Rosarito.