BajaNomad

Long Island Ice Tea and Texas Tea

TMW - 12-15-2004 at 05:52 PM

I was in the hard Rock Cafe in La Jolla a couple of weeks ago and happen to be looking thru their drink list. I noticed that in their Long Island Ice Tea they don't add Tequila. I asked the bartender and he said that a true Long Island Ice Tea is made with all white liquor. Gin, Vodka, Rum and Triple Sec. Adding Tequila makes it a Texas Ice Tea.

I may be mistaken but I think TGI Fridays adds Tequila and calls it a Long Island Ice Tea.

Another bartender told me adding cranberry juice instead of coke makes it a Long Beach Ice Tea.

Bruce R Leech - 12-15-2004 at 06:26 PM

all tell you what . I would like to try them all.:o

Bajaboy - 12-15-2004 at 09:39 PM

For the most part, most West Coast bars don't add tequila to their long islands. It's more of an East Coast deal. Most people consider a tea with tequila a Texas Tea or a Boston Tea.

Sub cranberry for coke: Long Beach Tea
Sub Midori for coke: Tokyo Tea or Miami Tea

Zac

Yep, TGI Fridays adds Tequila, and keeeps

capt. mike - 12-16-2004 at 05:39 AM

the std name, and it's white blanco so....works fine.
Try this, my old boss turned me on to it, we have them at the ol' Bonita Store - make it flash blended like a frozen marg. - it's great that way.
Also to get into a quick Zombie Zone, make them std, shake vigorously in a metal (has to be) martini shaker, and strain into a frozen 3 oz. shot glass, then shoot!
better have a desi driver along. :lol:

BajaGrrls - 12-16-2004 at 10:08 AM

I bartended my way through college and here in the midwest, the bars I worked at always used blanco tequila in their recipes.

With or without, the Long Island (or any drink that combines that much booze) is a favorite of mine! :O

bajalera - 12-16-2004 at 10:26 PM

I'll drink to that!

Lera