BajaNomad

SAGARPA moves to tighten limits on Yellow Fin Tuna...

BajaGringo - 7-16-2014 at 12:11 PM

I had heard this was also coming...

Establece SAGARPA Plan de Manejo Pesquero para el atún aleta amarilla del océano Pacífico Mexicano

[Edited on 7-16-2014 by BajaGringo]

Hook - 7-16-2014 at 12:36 PM

I wish I could get excited but, until Mexico has a realistic means of enforcement of it's fishing regulations, all the tightening of limits won't mean a thing.

Remember that dorado and marlin are illegal to take, commercially. Yet, look how often you see it on menus in restaurants, at this time of year. We see floating longlines with dorado and marlin on it every summer we go out. They are clearly marked.

But Conapesca or Sagarpa or whomever, just cant seem to find them.............

If there is data indicating that YFT need more protection, I wonder if it is another indication of a sardine fishery crash?

worldsaquarium - 7-17-2014 at 11:52 AM

Yes that is exactly right Hook. Dorado is everywhere in Mexico, markets and restaurants, and this year we hope to start a campaign to take Dorado off the menu here in San Carlos. Tracy Ehrenberg from Pisces Sportfishing and Minerva from Minervas Baja Tackle down in Cabo have been preparing to have a similar program.

In tourism towns all around the sea of cortes we want to promote the restaurants that support sustainable sport fishing.

We are seeing virtually no YFT up here in San Carlos so far this summer.

[Edited on 7-17-2014 by worldsaquarium]

worldsaquarium - 7-17-2014 at 12:45 PM

Here is a quick link to a report I did on commercial fishing of Sardines from last year. We are hopefully going to have funding this year to pay very close attention to the Sardine fleets out of Guaymas and keep a close eye on the incidental by catch issues.

http://worldsaquarium.com/blog/norma-003-revisions-are-comin...

BajaRat - 7-17-2014 at 10:10 PM

Follow the <*$$$$$$<<<

redhilltown - 7-17-2014 at 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by worldsaquarium
Here is a quick link to a report I did on commercial fishing of Sardines from last year. We are hopefully going to have funding this year to pay very close attention to the Sardine fleets out of Guaymas and keep a close eye on the incidental by catch issues.

http://worldsaquarium.com/blog/norma-003-revisions-are-comin...

What a disturbing link... in many years of fishing on our small boat in Baja we have caught a few birds trolling and carefully take the time to bring it in, put a towel over it's head to calm it down and remove the hook and set it free. And here in just one fell swoop dozens are killed. One of the reasons I really hate buying fish in that I don't know where it is REALLY from or how it was caught.

CJ - 7-18-2014 at 09:52 AM

We just returned from a week in Mexico City D.F. We saw Mahi Mahi on the menu in all the restaurants that had seafood......just a more political correct way of saying Dorado I guess..:?::?:

weebray - 7-18-2014 at 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CJ
We just returned from a week in Mexico City D.F. We saw Mahi Mahi on the menu in all the restaurants that had seafood..:?::?:

In fairness it COULD be legal frozen fillets from ???

bajaguy - 7-18-2014 at 11:47 AM

Mexico does have a way to enforce it's fisheries, however they don't use it.

The Mexican Navy and Air Force could be put to work doing something useful by enforcing those fishing regulations. Navy boats/ships are tied up at the navy pier in Ensenada and the Air Force spends all day flying circles around the Air Force base in Ensenada.

Real world training by patrolling on the water and in the air would benefit the fish and the military.

Is it apathy, bribes or indifference????

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
I wish I could get excited but, until Mexico has a realistic means of enforcement of it's fishing regulations, all the tightening of limits won't mean a thing.

Remember that dorado and marlin are illegal to take, commercially. Yet, look how often you see it on menus in restaurants, at this time of year. We see floating longlines with dorado and marlin on it every summer we go out. They are clearly marked.

But Conapesca or Sagarpa or whomever, just cant seem to find them.............

If there is data indicating that YFT need more protection, I wonder if it is another indication of a sardine fishery crash?